Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Exclamation Jaguars sold, Jack del Rio fired

Breaking news on NFLN. Jason La Canfora reports that the Jacksonville Jaguars are being sold. The new owner says he won't move them, but Head Coach Jack del Rio has been fired. His interim replacement is Defensive Coordinator Mel Tucker.

Do you think it might be worth it to contact del Rio about a defensive position with the Vikes? His attitude alone would be helpful.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    His experience with coaching and the fact that Frazier needs all kinds of helpful advice in the future i would definatly try to find another position for Pacag and then offer Del Rio a assistant hc/d-coord job..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Are you thinking about doing it this year? Would he accept a job as a DC?
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

I could see it going either way. He might accept it now to keep busy for the rest of the year, and then look elsewhere for another HC job if any other firings happen at season's end. Then again, if not then perhaps he would be available after the season, potentially as HC is Frazier is let go?

Or maybe some combination of the two? "Hey, Jack, come on in as an Assistant, then if we let Leslie go, you'll have the inside track to replace him."

I'm not actually sure I would want that, but I loved him as a player and he brings that same attitude as a coach.

I'm pretty sure new coaches can't be hired even in a coordinator role during the season. I could be mistaken but I don't think anything can be done as far as hiring him until after the season. And you gotta think some team will at least look at him for a head coaching position when the season is over. Norv Turner keeps getting jobs so why wouldn't JDR?

That said though, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to get him as a defensive coordinator. We haven't had a really good D coordinator since Tomlin left. (him leaving still makes me mad, the vikes shoulda fought to keep him)

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Damn... hopefully good news for us as the new owner, albeit what they said now, will move the team to LA.

Didnt care for Del Rio.

highdesertvike is offline Training Camp
    I like him as interim DC for the remaining games, and giving him the inside track for the job next year...but not for having the inside track as new HC. Frazier had that, and it cost us Harbaugh. Not to mention, that he didn't do so hot as HC for the Jags anyway...9 seasons w/o winning a division title? No thanks.
    An ugly win is better than a pretty loss.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-dog_six-eight View Post
    I'm pretty sure new coaches can't be hired even in a coordinator role during the season. I could be mistaken but I don't think anything can be done as far as hiring him until after the season.
    You may be right, but I kind of doubt this... if that is the case, then no coach who is let go for any reason during a season can get another job until the season is over. For that matter, nor can any coach who is currently unemployed after the season begins. I do believe that there is a provision against hiring someone away from another team (unless it is a clear promotion), though, and that may be what you are thinking of.

And you gotta think some team will at least look at him for a head coaching position when the season is over. Norv Turner keeps getting jobs so why wouldn't JDR?
    Yeah, he might get Norv's, from what I am heating.

That said though, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to get him as a defensive coordinator. We haven't had a really good D coordinator since Tomlin left. (him leaving still makes me mad, the vikes shoulda fought to keep him)
    Jack never did serve as a coordinator before getting the Jags job, so he may not be qualified to do it, but I'd at least give him a look.
    Last edited by Traveling_Vike; 11-29-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: fix quote attribs