Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville...

Jacksonville...

Does anyone else see a suprise team??? I sure do because...

They had the number two defense against the run last season.
    Fred Taylor has been healthy for two seasons, and had 1500 yards last season.
    Leftwich is improving, and he is gonna be a star. (IMO)
    They got a good wide out for Leftwich to throw to in Reggie Williams.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Jacksonville...

The Jags still don't have a receiver who can go deep. I don't think Williams has the speed to beat NFL corners and Jimmie Smith is a smart player but also not that fast. Leftwich will be improved on last year though and Fred Taylor will give them a solid running game again. Their o-line is strong especially at run blocking and they signed a good pass blocker in Ephraim Salaam.

Their defense is very good and will be strong against the rush again this year with Henderson, Douglas, Stroud, and Mike Peterson. Their secondary is weak though.

They will be a tough team to play but I don't think they will surprise anyone this year except maybe their own fans.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Jacksonville...

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    The Jags still don't have a receiver who can go deep. I don't think Williams has the speed to beat NFL corners and Jimmie Smith is a smart player but also not that fast. Leftwich will be improved on last year though and Fred Taylor will give them a solid running game again. Their o-line is strong especially at run blocking and they signed a good pass blocker in Ephraim Salaam.

Their defense is very good and will be strong against the rush again this year with Henderson, Douglas, Stroud, and Mike Peterson. Their secondary is weak though.

They will be a tough team to play but I don't think they will surprise anyone this year except maybe their own fans.

I disagree. I think that williams is a great deep threat at WR, even though he doesn't run a 4.3 40. Jimmy smith has always been a deep threat at WR and he has never had blazing speed. Although he isn't as much of a deep threat, jimmy smith is also still a threat deep, we saw this near the end of last year. Williams uses his size and body position really well when running deep routes. He can also jump pretty well. IMO, he might very well have the best 1st year, of all the wr's in this draft, which is saying something with how much talent there was at WR.

I do see them as a team who could get into the playoffs this year, but with a 2nd year QB, that might be as far as they can go. They do have a great D-line, I love stroud and henderson. They need the secondary to step up for them to make the playoffs though.

If you have the NFL network, they are gonna have a training camp series on the jags, which should be interesting to watch. It will be like HBO's hard Knocks with baltimore and dallas 2 and 3 years back.

Also, I see the redskins as a possible suprise team this year who could maybe make it to the playoffs.

Carolina will come back down to earth and be an average to good team at best. I also see the bronco's falling some. I don't think i have heard anyone else say the bronco's won't be good or better next year, but I just see them as an average to bad team next year.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Jacksonville...

I think there was too much hype about this year's draft class at receiver. Historically, rookies at the WR position have struggled to make a significat impact. Players don't usually "break out" at that position until their second or third year. Last year, Boldin had a great year, and that is fueling a lot of the optimism about this year's class, but I get the feeling that most of them won't live up to expectations this year.

As for Jacksonville, I agree that they are getting better, but I'm not sure there's room for a suprise team in the same division as Tennessee and Indianapolis. Tennessee has been living on the edge of salary cap hell for a few years now, and with their stars starting to get up there in age, they have to know that their window is closing. The Colts have to deal with both Harrison and James needing new contracts soon. Their Window won't be open much longer either. I just don't think that this is the year for Jacksonville to try to make a move. They're better off using this year to further develop their young talent. (and to try to keep Fred Taylor healthy)

quick edit: just noticed that this was post #200

Jacksonville...

Jimmie Smith has lost weight in the offseason and coaches say he is looking faster than he has in a while. He may step up this year...we'll see. But he hasn't been a deep threat at all these last couple seasons. Reggie Williams may be a good route runner but I think it's going too far to say he will do the best of all WRs in the draft. IMHO he will struggle his first season or two against NFL secondaries.

Jacksonville...

"josdin00" wrote:
    I think there was too much hype about this year's draft class at receiver. Historically, rookies at the WR position have struggled to make a significat impact. Players don't usually "break out" at that position until their second or third year. Last year, Boldin had a great year, and that is fueling a lot of the optimism about this year's class, but I get the feeling that most of them won't live up to expectations this year.

As for Jacksonville, I agree that they are getting better, but I'm not sure there's room for a suprise team in the same division as Tennessee and Indianapolis. Tennessee has been living on the edge of salary cap hell for a few years now, and with their stars starting to get up there in age, they have to know that their window is closing. The Colts have to deal with both Harrison and James needing new contracts soon. Their Window won't be open much longer either. I just don't think that this is the year for Jacksonville to try to make a move. They're better off using this year to further develop their young talent. (and to try to keep Fred Taylor healthy)

quick edit: just noticed that this was post #200
    I don't expect Jacksonville to make the playoffs this year either, but with the talent they have they could suprise people.

Jacksonville...

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    Jimmie Smith has lost weight in the offseason and coaches say he is looking faster than he has in a while. He may step up this year...we'll see. But he hasn't been a deep threat at all these last couple seasons. Reggie Williams may be a good route runner but I think it's going too far to say he will do the best of all WRs in the draft. IMHO he will struggle his first season or two against NFL secondaries.

Alright, but just remember, you heard it first. Reggie williams will have the best year out of the rookie WR's, mark my words. I don't think any of the WR's will have even close to the year that boldin had last year, but reggie will have a pretty darn good one. Roy williams and fitzgerald, while they are more talented, are playing with bad QB's and have another young WR opposite them. Reggie is playing across from a great vet WR, and leftwhich is a great deep ball passer as well, so i see him getting some big plays. The jags also have a good rushing attack as well, compared to the cards and lions. Another sleeper at WR in this draft is Rashaun woods, in san fran. Watch out for this guy, even though they have rattay at QB.

Jacksonville...

lol...alright muchluv, if Williams turns out to be the best of the rookie WRs I will be the first to give you props and I will never again doubt you on anything football related!

I do agree with you about Rashaun Woods, I saw him play quite a bit last year and I think he will do very well in the NFL.

Jacksonville...

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    lol...alright muchluv, if Williams turns out to be the best of the rookie WRs I will be the first to give you props and I will never again doubt you on anything football related!

I do agree with you about Rashaun Woods, I saw him play quite a bit last year and I think he will do very well in the NFL.

No williams won't be the best of the wr's, he will have the best 1st year. Not sure if that is what you meant or not. Woods could be a big sleeper, if rattay plays well like he did last year. they don't really have a clear cut #1 or #2 WR. i really like their 2nd year guy, brandon lloyd from illinois, but he is kind of fragile, like kelly cambell.

Actually if I am right, it will probably be more because of luck than anything else, so you can still doubt me even if I am right about him.

Jacksonville...

I personally like Michael Jenkins of all the rookie wideouts for THIS season, but that's just me :wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast