singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Jackson says he felt unwanted by Packers

Posted Mar. 22, 2006

[size=18px]Notebook: Jackson says he felt unwanted by Packers[/size]

Defensive Grady Jackson, saying he felt unwanted by the Packers, is seeking a new team after Green Bay signed Ryan Pickett to man his position.

By Rob Demovsky
    PackersNews.com

Even before Green Bay signed defensive tackle Ryan Pickett last week, Grady Jackson had a feeling his career with the Packers was over.

Jackson said Tuesday he never spoke to new Packers coach Mike McCarthy, and the only contact he had with the organization came from one of the defensive coaches, who called to inform him the team had signed Pickett.

“If they wanted me there, they would have made some attempt to sign me,” Jackson said in a telephone interview from his offseason home in Jackson, Miss. “All along, it made me feel like they didn’t want me there anymore. I guess all along they wanted to go in a different direction.”

Jackson said he will visit the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday and has been talking to the Cincinnati Bengals. He said “a couple of other teams” had shown interest, though he wouldn’t name them. He wouldn’t say whether any of those teams have offered him a contract.

He said he’s seeking a deal similar to the one La’Roi Glover signed with the St. Louis Rams earlier this month. Glover, 31, reportedly signed a three-year, $12 million contract that included a $3.5 million signing bonus. To replace the 32-year-old Jackson, the Packers signed Pickett away from the Rams with a four-year, $14 million contract that included $5 million in bonuses.

Jackson called Pickett’s contract “a pretty good deal,” but quickly added he felt he was a better player than Pickett.

“Of course, I think I am,” Jackson said. “Don’t you?”

At 26, Pickett is younger than Jackson and doesn’t have his injury history. He appeared in all 16 regular-season games each of the previous four seasons.

Jackson missed six games in 2004, then missed nearly all of training camp in 2005 while trying to recover from offseason knee surgery. While he was sidelined last summer, he asked the Packers to cut him or trade him, and said he didn’t want to play for the team again. He played in all 16 games in 2005 but was limited early in the season. By season’s end, he was telling people he wasn’t opposed to returning to Green Bay.

On Tuesday, he admitted he realizes there’s little or no chance of that happening now.

“I know I’m probably done there,” Jackson said.

Ruegamer won’t return: Another veteran free agent, offensive lineman Grey Ruegamer, said he doesn’t expect to return to Green Bay. Ruegamer, a seven-year NFL veteran who spent the previous three years in Green Bay, said he hasn’t been contacted by the Packers.

“I haven’t talked to the Packers since the season ended,” Ruegamer said Tuesday from Las Vegas. “I think with all the moves they’ve made, they’re rebuilding. They want young guys. I think that’s the way they’re going.”

Ruegamer said he has drawn interest from four teams — Buffalo, Detroit, Houston and New Orleans — but hasn’t made any visits.

Roster moves: Tight end Garrett Cross, who left training camp last summer, was activated from the reserve/left squad list, and receiver Harry Williams was released.

Jackson says he felt unwanted by Packers
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Sounds like two more Packers are destined to leave the nest.

How many does that make now this offseason? :evil4:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Jackson says he felt unwanted by Packers

They didn't want him because he had way too many gilbert burgers and could only manage to play a few downs a quarter!
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

Prophet Guest

Oh, poor guy. Another person with their feelings hurt.

Del Rio Guest

It's because they didn't give him that astronomical contract he was after a few months back.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

Their offseason is going almost as well as last year, I love it!

Thanks Lotza!

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

Yeah they are looking pretty SHI**Y but I love it.

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:
    Yeah they are looking pretty SHI**Y but I love it.
    I agree ,what have they even done.....really ?

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]Notebook: Jackson says he felt unwanted by Packers[/size]
    That's too bad for him. After all, the only thing worse than being unwanted by the Packers is...

Being wanted by the Packers.