Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vikinggreg is online now Ring of Fame

Re: J. Walker very happy to be out of Green Bay

"gregair13" wrote:
    actually, i dont think the packers will win 4 games this year. try 3 tops.
    Yeap 3 tops, Jets and Niners, and a team who's dbs get hurt from Favre hitting them with too many misguided passes

Broncofreak21 is offline Waterboy

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL
    Broncos | J. Walker very happy to be out of Green Bay
    Thu, 31 Aug 2006 05:09:41 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports after watching the Green Bay Packers play their preseason game Monday, Aug. 28, Denver Broncos WR Javon Walker is very happy to be away from the Packers and with the Broncos. "Obviously, we have a chance to be a Super Bowl team," Walker said Wednesday, Aug. 30. "Obviously, they have a chance to win four games." Walker said he'll still root for some Green Bay players, including CBs Al Harris and Charles Woodson, TE Bubba Franks and WR Robert Ferguson. "I love those guys, and I always want to see them do well," Walker said. "I want those guys to be successful."
    Notice -- No mention of Favre here. I'm really beginning to wonder if the players really like him that much.
    Not much after he called him out for the holdout after a probowl season and then gets screwed with an injury immediately...

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Wow, hatred really does blind people, doesn't it.

I still think Green Bay did the right thing in NOT renegotiating Walker's contract.
    He had ONE good year.
    In what world does one good season mean that the player suddenly should get a raise?
    If he has a truely crappy year, will he take a pay cut?

Then, after he was injured, he made it out that it was somehow Green Bay's fault.
    BS!!!
    Just think how much MORE money they would have been out if they HAD given him a raise.

Then, after he recovers, he gets a bug up his kiester and and says, "Give me more money or trade me"...O.K. Terrell Owens, enough out of you.
    Green Bay did EXACTLY the right thing in trading him.
    It's becomming silly with all these hold outs.
    Now that Owens and Walker have done it - successfully - other players start thinking, "Hey, I had a good season last year, I should get a raise".
    Pretty soon, contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

It's funny to me that the players sign long term deals to get the big money up front, then start whining 3 years later when they realize that the market is better now.
    Then, it's somehow the TEAMS fault that they signed such a crappy deal.

PUUUUUHLEASE!!!!

No disrespect intended to the Broncos or Cowboys, but I sincerely hope that both Walker and Owens tank this year.
    Once players get bogger than the game, the game stops being fun for everyone.
    Ask Major League Baseball.
    Ask the National Hockey League.
    Can you imagine greedy players causing the NFL to cancel the Superbowl?
    I certainly can.

I hate the Packers more than most people - trust me, living in southern Wisconsin, my haterd is fueled every single day - but I am big enough to admit when they do something right.
    Favre may be a dork, but the Packers did the right thing in NOT giving in to Walker.
    I just wish more teams would step up and make the hard decisions and stop allowing individuals to undermine a team.

Caine

Broncofreak21 is offline Waterboy

"Caine" wrote:
    Wow, hatred really does blind people, doesn't it.

I still think Green Bay did the right thing in NOT renegotiating Walker's contract.
    He had ONE good year.
    In what world does one good season mean that the player suddenly should get a raise?
    If he has a truely crappy year, will he take a pay cut?

Then, after he was injured, he made it out that it was somehow Green Bay's fault.
    BS!!!
    Just think how much MORE money they would have been out if they HAD given him a raise.

Then, after he recovers, he gets a bug up his kiester and and says, "Give me more money or trade me"...O.K. Terrell Owens, enough out of you.
    Green Bay did EXACTLY the right thing in trading him.
    It's becomming silly with all these hold outs.
    Now that Owens and Walker have done it - successfully - other players start thinking, "Hey, I had a good season last year, I should get a raise".
    Pretty soon, contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

It's funny to me that the players sign long term deals to get the big money up front, then start whining 3 years later when they realize that the market is better now.
    Then, it's somehow the TEAMS fault that they signed such a crappy deal.

PUUUUUHLEASE!!!!

No disrespect intended to the Broncos or Cowboys, but I sincerely hope that both Walker and Owens tank this year.
    Once players get bogger than the game, the game stops being fun for everyone.
    Ask Major League Baseball.
    Ask the National Hockey League.
    Can you imagine greedy players causing the NFL to cancel the Superbowl?
    I certainly can.

I hate the Packers more than most people - trust me, living in southern Wisconsin, my haterd is fueled every single day - but I am big enough to admit when they do something right.
    Favre may be a dork, but the Packers did the right thing in NOT giving in to Walker.
    I just wish more teams would step up and make the hard decisions and stop allowing individuals to undermine a team.

Caine
    At least Javon didn't hold out of TC.
    I think he had some legit beef with the team up front, young players with a probowl year often get a contract renegotiation.
    When players start having bad seasons, they are released or traded if they have big contracts.
    Some do take paycuts.
    But Javon earned at least something of a raise, in my opinion.

Denver got a solid player...

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Broncofreak21" wrote:
    At least Javon didn't hold out of TC.
    I think he had some legit beef with the team up front, young players with a probowl year often get a contract renegotiation.
    When players start having bad seasons, they are released or traded if they have big contracts.
    Some do take paycuts.
    But Javon earned at least something of a raise, in my opinion.

Denver got a solid player...
    Out of Denver's TC?
    Nope.
    He sure didn't.
    He absolutely refused to have anything to do with the Packers after they refused (correctly) to renegotiate.

Face it, Jovan had ONE good season after 2 mediocre (forgetable) ones.
    Of course, as a Denver fan, you HAVE to stick up for him.
    You HAVE to believe that he will be fantastic - and he might.
    But that doesn't alter the fact that he was a whiney wuss in Green Bay who threw a hissy because they didn't reward one good season with a huge pay-day after HE signed a 5 year deal comming in.
    I suppose Dallas fans have to look at T-Hoe's upside too - sure, he's talanted as all get out, but he destroys teams.

Denver got a solid player, but the message has been sent - and accepted - that he will remain so only so long as Denver ponies up the cash.
    the next time he feels he's underappreciated, he'll throw another hissy because Denver validated that type of behaviour by giving him exactly what he wanted.

Athletes are a lot like little kids.
    Mom and dad say, "No, you can't have ice cream" so the kid throws a tantrum.
    Grandma, not wanting to spoil her visit with Johnnie's fits, gives him ice cream.
    The kid shuts up.
    What did the kid learn?
    If you throw a hissy, grandma will give you what you want.

The truth is, if a few more NFL franchises would tell these prima-donna's, "nope, we don't do that here" then athletes would stop.
    It wouldn't be profitable.

Sure, it's an imperfect system.
    Seattle did the reverse with Burleson.
    They back loaded his contract so heavily that you KNOW he's out of there in 3 years.
    No way Seattle lets that deal run full term.

So, there has to be an agreed upon line in the middle somewhere.
    Someplace where the team and the player realize that compensating this guy is in the best interests of both the team and the player.

In Walker's case, it was clearly one sided.
    Heading into teh 4th year of a 5 year contract, had he shown the same ability in year 4, I GUARANTEE that green bay would have ponied up the cash for a BIG contract extension.
    But HE wanted it on the strength of ONE season.

I've watched too much football to think that basing a contract on one season is a good idea.
    I've seen too many players spark it up good one year, get a big contract, then vanish.
    If you can do it twice in a row, however, it's a good bet you're the real deal.

So, Walker might have a great season...he might even have a great career in Denver.
    Time will tell.
    Or, his knee might flare up or blow out again and Denver will be on the hook for a bunch of money they just spent on a guy wearing civvies.

Time will tell.

Caine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12