Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Its NFL at Wembley this weekend so....

"gregair13" wrote:
    Until travelling becomes easier, overseas just would not make sense. If they had a whole division over there, maybe it could workl
    Traveling for who, fans or players?

I don't think fan traveling even comes into play here as I assume there will be more than enough fans over there to fill out the stadium.
    Seriously, didn't this one sell out in something like 9 minutes?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    Until travelling becomes easier, overseas just would not make sense. If they had a whole division over there, maybe it could work

I don't think fan traveling even comes into play here as I assume there will be more than enough fans over there to fill out the stadium.
    Of course not the fans you dumbie. To have one team in Europe would be pointless and too costly. Flying a different team out there every week adds up. And with jet lag, that team would want their bye week the following week.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"gregair13" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    Until travelling becomes easier, overseas just would not make sense. If they had a whole division over there, maybe it could work

Of course not the fans you dumbie. To have one team in Europe would be pointless and too costly. Flying a different team out there every week adds up. And with jet lag, that team would want their bye week the following week.
    Comeon my friend.
    We all know that if the owners are looking at putting a team over there, it means that they will get more than what they are investing.

In short, it won't be to costly.
    If it would be they wouldn't be doing it.

As to the jet lag, do you really think the owner cares about that?
    He is only worried about one thing,,,,,,,$$$$$$.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

The league are definitely looking at a franchise outside the States....

"I expect that sometime in the next couple of years, we could be playing multiple games here," Goodell said. "If we brought more than one game here, and it continues to have the same kind of enthusiasm and growth of interest, I think that is about as good of an indicator you can get that it could successfully support a franchise. And that's what we're looking at."
    http://www.nfl.com/international/sto...s&confirm=true

Two things that immediately spring to mind for me are.....

1. NFL fans in the UK are loyal to whatever team they support, are they suddenly going to drop that team to follow a new franchise.

2. The London games have all sold out quickly, but this is for one game per year, fans (of all teams) will come from all over the country to watch this. Would the same fans come every couple of weeks for a whole season to support a new (probably losing) franchise? I know a lot of people who are going to the game would not be able to go regularly even if they wanted to. Which means the team would rely on the support of a mostly London crowd who weren't enough to stop the Monarchs folding in NFL Europe.

Apart from anything else it's the NFL not the WFL, keep the teams in the US and forget about ways to fleece the fans out of even more money.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"scottishvike" wrote:

1. NFL fans in the UK are loyal to whatever team they support, are they suddenly going to drop that team to follow a new franchise.
    Very true though if a team relocated within the US to another US city ( such as the Vikes or Jags for example ) then you could get some fans that could then go off that team. In that case then a new franchise could well attract those disaffected fans, plus those in the UK that follow the game instead of a specific team may finally pick a team.

2. The London games have all sold out quickly, but this is for one game per year, fans (of all teams) will come from all over the country to watch this. Would the same fans come every couple of weeks for a whole season to support a new (probably losing) franchise? I know a lot of people who are going to the game would not be able to go regularly even if they wanted to. Which means the team would rely on the support of a mostly London crowd who weren't enough to stop the Monarchs folding in NFL Europe.

Apart from anything else it's the NFL not the WFL, keep the teams in the US and forget about ways to fleece the fans out of even more money.
    Fair point though many may want to take up season tickets just to have a chance to see the top players in the NFL each week. Look at the fans yesterday where the vast majority were not Bucs or Pats fans. The knock with NFLE was that it didn't have the star players, though of course some did go on to become stars. So maybe the league thinking is that having the stars there will keep the fan base interested enough for the support needed. If the top players are playing in the UK then not only will there be local interest but sure that a lot of fans from Europe would be willing to make the trek.

Only thing against any european franchise is that you would never see them hosting a SNF or MNF game due to the time difference but that could be considered a minor thing by the league.

Overall though I'm the same as scottishvike in that it's the NFL and so teams should stay in the US only - and yes that means excluding Canada, Mexico etc which I'm sure won't be a popular view with my Canadian cousins. That also extends to the SuperBowl staying on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean as well.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:

Very true though if a team relocated within the US to another US city ( such as the Vikes or Jags for example ) then you could get some fans that could then go off that team. In that case then a new franchise could well attract those disaffected fans, plus those in the UK that follow the game instead of a specific team may finally pick a team.

Fair point though many may want to take up season tickets just to have a chance to see the top players in the NFL each week. Look at the fans yesterday where the vast majority were not Bucs or Pats fans. The knock with NFLE was that it didn't have the star players, though of course some did go on to become stars. So maybe the league thinking is that having the stars there will keep the fan base interested enough for the support needed. If the top players are playing in the UK then not only will there be local interest but sure that a lot of fans from Europe would be willing to make the trek.

Only thing against any european franchise is that you would never see them hosting a SNF or MNF game due to the time difference but that could be considered a minor thing by the league.

Overall though I'm the same as scottishvike in that it's the NFL and so teams should stay in the US only - and yes that means excluding Canada, Mexico etc which I'm sure won't be a popular view with my Canadian cousins. That also extends to the SuperBowl staying on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean as well.
    To be honest I agree with the NFL Europe thing, the fans here knew the product was inferior and that's why it never really took off, personally I only went to 1 game that was played up here. Sticking with the NFL Europe theme for a second, the German fans must really be pissed at the NFL right now. They basically held that league together with their support, at the very least you would have thought they would be in line for a regular season game from the NFL.

It was interesting to hear Goodell's comments during the broadcast on Sunday, listening to him you would think that the NFL didn't really have a large fan base here until the start of the Wembley games. OK there has been some media coverage but let's not kid anyone on the NFL is still very much a minority sport here. If you ask me the vast majority of the fans started following the game long before any regular season game was even thought about.

Lastly, IF there ever was a franchise here I could very much see people looking at the schedule and picking the best looking teams to watch, while leaving a lot of other games well alone and not sold out. In much the same way as when the English Premier League touted playing games abroad. Man U vs Chelsea would sell more tickets than Wolves vs Stoke, a new NFl franchise against the Steelers would sell more tickets than a new franchise vs the Chiefs for example. At this moment in time It looks like the number of games here will be increased (to see how ticket sales go) before any possibility of a franchise can become reality.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:

I figure if its only staying in the US, they can stop calling the superbowl winner World Champions.

Big Matt is offline Starter

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:

I figure if its only staying in the US, they can stop calling the superbowl winner World Champions.

I remember going to see the london Monarchs playing at Wembley back when the World league first started and there being 60,000 fans there...but then they gave a bunch of tickets away and when they stopped doing that it went downhill fast. The difference with that and having an NFL franchise in the UK (or indeed in Europe) would be the level of play and the fact that there would be 'stars' in the team.

Lets face it, NFL Europe/The World League never fulfilled the presumed goal of growing the game domestically and promoting 'home grown' players. It was always going to be a farm league much like minor league baseball. An NFL franchise would be a different kettle of fish.

Amongst the crowd at Wembley I saw, Patriots and Bucs shirts (though far more Pats) obvioulsy, but I also saw Browns, Bengals, Dolphins, Raiders, Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, Rams, Bears, Niners, Chargers and I am sure all 32 of the teams were represented including a good number of Vikes #28 shirts
    ;D. The UK/Europe fan is essentially a fan of the NFL with a leaning toward one, in some cases more than one, team. There is little of the dislike of other teams that is seen here in the US. The average UK Vikes fan does not hate the Packers in the same way a US Vikings fan does (though I take great delight in sticking it to my English, Chicago based Packers fan buddy) so I can honestly see a London Franchsie working, at least form the Fans perspective. If Wembley can sell out and have 4-5 times the requests for tickets than were availabel, I dont think selling out an 8 game season is out of the question, particulalry as with the channel tunnel in place you would draw fans from the european mainland also. Yes, I dont see fans dropping their chosen NFL team to follow the London Beefeaters, but I can see that fan base growing so that the crowd becoms a fan of the Beefeaters first, and a another teams fan second.

As for travel, ther is not that much difference between travelling from the west coast of the US to the East coast and travelling from the East coast to the UK, flight time for the trip from Newark to Birmigham UK is 6 1/2 hours or less. Yes it would be a problem and take a lot of working out but as people have said on here, if the NFL owners think its viable and will make money it will be done.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

LOL

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

I think it would be a much better and viable option to move an existing team to Europe if the NFL made the decision to give merry ole England a try.
    I mean the U.K. Lions sounds pretty good.
    Or on the negative side the Dover Vikings doesn't quite sound as good.

From a marketability standpoint even if you took a mediocre franchise with a couple of big names you would be leap years ahead of just starting a new franchise.
    Moving the Jags to England and renaming them something
    like the Fighting Welsh would be just fine.

From a personal standpoint if it was economically viable I would absolutely LOVE to see a EU division in the NFL.
    Sure travel arrangements would sometimes be a bitch but damn it would be fun seeing the NFL live in so many countries and see the international popularity skyrocket.
    Plus it would put some teeth behind World Champions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast