Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy

    [size=13pt]It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy[/size]

    By Matt Sohn
    ([email protected])
    profootballweekly.com

    Feb. 13, 2008




    This sucks. No, not this column, at least I hope not. I’m talking about the end of the NFL season. From late August through early February, football’s as omnipresent an American institution as there is.....


    8. Minnesota Vikings (8-8) — Brad Childress and his young offense learned on the fly in 2007 and should kick it up a notch next season. If Childress can work out a deal to bring in his old Philly QB Donovan McNabb, this has to be considered among the NFC’s top contenders for the Super Bowl. McNabb’s in play with several teams, however. If he plays elsewhere, the Vikes are still in fine position. Tarvaris Jackson teased with his potential, and his maturation, along with his receivers’, will make the offense considerably better. Even though defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier will be a head coach a year from now, he needs to get more out of his secondary. Ironic, considering that’s his area of expertise.
    Biggest strength: Running back. I doubt they’ll trade Chester Taylor, but it makes sense.
    Biggest concern: Defensive end. Though I do like second-year man Brian Robison as a pass-rush specialist.
    Breakout player: WR Sidney Rice. Throw in fellow WR Aundrae Allison, too....

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy

    Pretty decent read- seemed fairly unbiased even.


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy

    Excellent read my friend.

    5. New England Patriots (16-0; lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl) — It’s inevitable the Patriots take a step backward.
    I bet they take a step further back than some think.
    Anyone else equate thier production drop off towards the end of the year to aging vets?

    IMHO a sign of a team ripe for rebuilding is a look at how many FA they sign in one year.
    In 2007 they went away from thier norm and signed a glut of them in an effort to win the SB.
    Now all you have to do is look at thier FA list to see that they can't/won't be able to bring everyone back.

    Long story short, that team was built to win it all last year and they didn't.
    Now they will have problems getting the right guys to stay/come back as well as fix some obvious holes were they have aging vets that aren't producing at the end of the season.


    . Cleveland Browns (10-6) —
    $30 Mill under that CAP with a pretty damn good corp of young players.

    Throw in a very good front office and coaching staff and you have a solid team that will win for years to come.

    Even though thier fans hated a few tough years under Crennel, they are loving him now aren't they.
    Sound familiar.
    ;D

    Love were he put the Lions.
    I think the following teams are a bit high.

    a.
    Bears.
    b. Saints.
    c.
    Titans.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Excellent read my friend.

    5. New England Patriots (16-0; lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl) — It’s inevitable the Patriots take a step backward.
    I bet they take a step further back than some think.
    Anyone else equate thier production drop off towards the end of the year to aging vets?

    IMHO a sign of a team ripe for rebuilding is a look at how many FA they sign in one year.
    In 2007 they went away from thier norm and signed a glut of them in an effort to win the SB.
    Now all you have to do is look at thier FA list to see that they can't/won't be able to bring everyone back.

    Long story short, that team was built to win it all last year and they didn't.
    Now they will have problems getting the right guys to stay/come back as well as fix some obvious holes were they have aging vets that aren't producing at the end of the season.


    . Cleveland Browns (10-6) —
    $30 Mill under that CAP with a pretty damn good corp of young players.

    Throw in a very good front office and coaching staff and you have a solid team that will win for years to come.

    Even though thier fans hated a few tough years under Crennel, they are loving him now aren't they.
    Sound familiar.
    ;D

    Love were he put the Lions.
    I think the following teams are a bit high.

    a.
    Bears.
    b. Saints.
    c.
    Titans.
    The patriots IMO had their last chance at a real super bowl run this year. There is no way they are able to re-sign Stallworth, Moss, Samuel and Gay and be able to sign any of their draft picks. I'm guessing Samuel is gone to FA which really screws up their secondary and maybe Gay as well. Rodney Harrison will probably retire as he's really taken a step back in his overall game although they have Merriweather waiting in the wings. Then there's their linebacking corps which is extremely old with Vrabel (32), Bruschi (34) and Seau (38) I'm guessing Bruschi and Seau retire after illustrious careers.

    So they lose pretty much the entire heart of their defense and one of their key WR's... there's no way they're as good as they were last year.

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy

    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    The patriots IMO had their last chance at a real super bowl run this year. There is no way they are able to re-sign Stallworth, Moss, Samuel and g*y and be able to sign any of their draft picks. I'm guessing Samuel is gone to FA which really screws up their secondary and maybe g*y as well. Rodney Harrison will probably retire as he's really taken a step back in his overall game although they have Merriweather waiting in the wings. Then there's their linebacking corps which is extremely old with Vrabel (32), Bruschi (34) and Seau (38) I'm guessing Bruschi and Seau retire after illustrious careers.

    So they lose pretty much the entire heart of their defense and one of their key WR's... there's no way they're as good as they were last year.
    You are a wise man indeed.
    That great post just moved you up a column on the ole spread sheet my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465

    Re: It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy

    Hmm where have I seen this story before, ahhh I know, someone supplied us at the Packerforum with the same story. Thanks Vikesrule.

    However ranking the Vikes ahead, I have this to say..

    Interesting take by PFW... however they point to our QB situation and scuff... but he has more faith in TJ, whom needs to take a big step for the Vikes to balance that offense. But expected from a Chicago based rag that dislikes the Packers probably more than anything else in the NFL.

    The way I see it... the Vikes have the better run defense vs the Packers having the better pass defense by quite a bit. Even to small edge Packers. With huge questions at safety, I think this writer needs to rethink his position in terms of defense.

    On offense, with Grant running the rock we proved to be formidable in the running game, but not as potent as the Vikes. However it isn't even close in the passing game at this point. Questions and potential litter the Vikings passing game... where even if Favre retires, we have far less questions all the way around. Both oline's have issues, ours in up the interior, ours on the right side, especially RT. Advantage Green Bay.

    It is closer than we might think, but at this point, edge points to the Packers.

  7. #7
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,576

    Re: It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy

    Must be happy with the 8 spots. There has to be at least 10 teams better than us, isn't there?
    We're bringing purple back.

  8. #8
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: It's never too soon to project the 2008 NFL hierarchy

    "gregair13" wrote:
    Must be happy with the 8 spots. There has to be at least 10 teams better than us, isn't there?
    lol, thats why its all just speculation and "fun" at this point.

    until the FA & Draft is over & TC starts... its all up in the air lol.
    Even then, until the regular season, you can't say theres any teams worse or better than us.
    Every team is 0-0 right now, so to answer your question about those 10 teams.

    As of right now, no.
    But there are 31 teams that are just as good as us


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone else tired of the TJ project?
    By CCthebest in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 555
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 10:07 AM
  2. I need help W/ a project
    By gr8vike in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 10:03 AM
  3. The Helmet Project
    By Prophet in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 08:25 AM
  4. B. Johnson's injury will change hierarchy.
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-13-2006, 06:04 PM
  5. Help on Project
    By Kleinsasser40 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 08:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •