Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

It's About Time -- Commish Plans To Address First-Round Windfalls

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
    As NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell approaches his one-year anniversary, it occurs to us that we have agreed with virtually every decision that Goodell has made.

And we think we're going to agree with most of his decisions in year two.
    Especially if one of them is to try to address the ongoing problem regarding the payment of enormous windfalls to rookies who have never worn an NFL helmet except when trick-or-treating.

This year, for example, safety LaRon Landry received more guaranteed money than any safety in the history of the league, simply because his name was the sixth one called on draft day.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: It's About Time -- Commish Plans To Address First-Round Windfalls

I honestly hope that they set a rookie maximum, its ridiculous when top 10 picks are the highest paid players at their positions.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I honestly hope that they set a rookie maximum, its ridiculous when top 10 picks are the highest paid players at their positions.
    Agreed.
    So far so good for the commish except for the whole Ryan Seacrest thing.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

thank god.. seriously.. if we keep increasing the contract rates of these draft picks, they will have to already raise the cap room.. which just happened recently..

For example, LJ was holding out for LT type wages, but now that we signed AP he's holding out for AP like wages... sure, AP is hyped to be amazing and he was a high draft pick.. but having more guaranteed then last year's league MVP is simply stupid..

there need to be a limit to these signings or the prices these athletes get will become unreal.. not that they already arn't

ITS ABOUT THE GAME! NOT THE MONEY! they need to remember that again like the old days

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I'm not bothered at all by what these roookies make the NFL is paying a great deal of money to veterans right now what with Daniel Graham getting similar money to the Gates and Gonzales of the league despite being nowhere near as good.

IMO if you take away the money from the rookies it is just going to end up in the pockets of the billionare owners so I say keep giving it to the rookies they deserve it more then the owners.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I've always had a problem with how much rookies make too, it should be more performance based like the XFL tried.
    They have to perform at a whole new level.
    I know that it's a high risk profession that often results in life-long injuries and pain....but these salaries are rather exorbitant.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"FuadFan" wrote:
    I'm not bothered at all by what these roookies make the NFL is paying a great deal of money to veterans right now what with Daniel Graham getting similar money to the Gates and Gonzales of the league despite being nowhere near as good.

IMO if you take away the money from the rookies it is just going to end up in the pockets of the billionare owners so I say keep giving it to the rookies they deserve it more then the owners.
    Thats a really good point, although for a player who is completely unproven in the NFL, these guys are making ridiculous amounts of money. I think there should be performance clauses in the contract to guarantee money later on if performance meets expectations.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

Thats a really good point, although for a player who is completely unproven in the NFL, these guys are making ridiculous amounts of money. I think there should be performance clauses in the contract to guarantee money later on if performance meets expectations.
    Absolutely not FF.

If you take it away from the rookies, it will return to the pockets of the Veterans.
    The salary cap will still go up each year, and it will allow teams to put a higher premium on the proven veterans instead of the unproven rookies.

This would absolutely be one of the best things Goodell could do as commish!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

Absolutely not FF.

If you take it away from the rookies, it will return to the pockets of the Veterans.
    The salary cap will still go up each year, and it will allow teams to put a higher premium on the proven veterans instead of the unproven rookies.

Maybe you missed what I bolded the veterans are getting paid plenty already and in some cases overpaid so how do they need anymore? The only step
    left is to guarantee all the money in their contracts but as risky as football is to gettting injured I doubt that happens.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

Absolutely not FF.

Maybe you missed what I bolded the veterans are getting paid plenty already and in some cases overpaid so how do they need anymore? The only step
    left is to guarantee all the money in their contracts but as risky as football is to gettting injured I doubt that happens.
    I didn't miss it.
    Your argument of it just lining the owners' pockets more was wrong.

Sports agents negotiate deals based in part on the market value of comparable players, and in part on the money a team has in its salary cap.
    If rookies were restricted to a specific contract maximum, it would free up more salary cap money, which would drive the veteran's money higher.
    Alternatively they could restrict (or at least stop raising) the salary cap, but the NFLPA would never go for that.

The reason I would be in favor of this is because I think veterans deserve to make more money than rookies, regardless of where they were picked in the draft.

For the record, I would also like to see more restructuring of the veteran's salaries too.
    Put a maximum cap on the salary based on a % of the average salary for that position and the number of years the contract (the longer the contract, the higher the %).
    Similar to the way tagged players' salaries are calculated.
    That would stop the other half of the runaway salaries.
    But then it would just go back to the owners.
    In a perfect world the excess revenue would go into a common fund, like another stadium fund.
    Or back to the consumer in terms of ticket prices.
    But the odds of any of that ever happening is slim to none...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast