Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Insider: The risk-reward of drafting RBs

Half of the NFC North selected a running back high in the 2010 draft, which makes this ESPN Insider piece from Football Outsiders especially relevant to us. FO's Bill Barnwell examined the injury history all players drafted in the first three rounds from 2001-09 and found that -- yes -- rookie running backs missed more games because of injuries than any other position group.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:Insider: The risk-reward of drafting RBs

Marrdro wrote:
    Half of the NFC North selected a running back high in the 2010 draft, which makes this ESPN Insider piece from Football Outsiders especially relevant to us. FO's Bill Barnwell examined the injury history all players drafted in the first three rounds from 2001-09 and found that -- yes -- rookie running backs missed more games because of injuries than any other position group.
    Another stat showing how exceptional AD is. Three seasons with only one serious injury. I'm impressed. :P

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I remember a game early on this season, might have been last season, Peterson got tackled funny and twisted his ankle, but from the angle it looked like he broke his lower leg. Needless to say I was less than enthused. Glad when he found his way back on the field.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I remember a game early on this season, might have been last season, Peterson got tackled funny and twisted his ankle, but from the angle it looked like he broke his lower leg. Needless to say I was less than enthused. Glad when he found his way back on the field.
    Exactly why teams that win at this level are the teams with depth.

Look at what the Saints had to do last year in thier secondary vs how the Vikes approached thier secondary issues.

I for one am happy that we can grab a kid off the bench instead of having to go out and get someone off the street. 2 years ago, when we had to find some street sweepers to fill in for EJ, was a prime example of lack of depth. Last year, shoving Brink in there sure made me feel alot better.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Look at what the Saints had to do last year in thier secondary vs how the Vikes approached thier secondary issues.

I for one am happy that we can grab a kid off the bench instead of having to go out and get someone off the street. 2 years ago, when we had to find some street sweepers to fill in for EJ, was a prime example of lack of depth. Last year, shoving Brink in there sure made me feel alot better.
    I agree. And I will give props to spielman, Studwell, and staff for finding Brinkley at a value pick.
    And props to the coaching staff for realizing they needed to play more nickel to counter the rooks weakness, and for letting a veteran wear the green dot.

I like the fact that we seem to be a bit overloaded with running backs. They take a pounding.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

I agree. And I will give props to spielman, Studwell, and staff for finding Brinkley at a value pick.
    And props to the coaching staff for realizing they needed to play more nickel to counter the rooks weakness, and for letting a veteran wear the green dot.

I like the fact that we seem to be a bit overloaded with running backs. They take a pounding.
    Excellent point on the "Overloaded". Truth is, we are loaded at all positions. I actually think we are trying to snatch up every WR that is out there we can legally land.

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Excellent point on the "Overloaded". Truth is, we are loaded at all positions. I actually think we are trying to snatch up every WR that is out there we can legally land.
    Not much risk in drafting running backs IMO.

My concern this year is backups at DT, linebacker, and starters at safety.
    I'm also looking for improved run blocking.
    I don't expect Favre to have the season he had last year.
    And there is always the injury bug to worry about.

All of that aside, this team should be in position to once again be a top tier team in the league.
    And running back should be one of our true strengths, once again, even without Chester Taylor.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    ......snip.....My concern this year is backups at DT, ....snip.....
    When was the last time I told you that you are wise beyond your years my friend?

Not many see it that way by the way.

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    When was the last time I told you that you are wise beyond your years my friend?

I know. We have no back up with the skill set of Pat.
    If we don't find a replacement with that type of skill set, it will substantially change our defense.

Now that may not be a bad thing over all as it may improve our pass defense. But it has to hurt our run defense.

And as good as KW is, he didn't show up much for several games last year. I'm not sure why.
    Dilfer

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

I sure as hell don't. If we assume that KWill and Phat Pat are playing (which it does appear they are) then I'm perfectly happy with Jimmy Kennedy, Fred Evans and Letroy Guion (with some Brian Robison mixed in there for speed).

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast