Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,508

    IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    Packers are currently 7-4, with games remaining vs. Baltimore, at Chicago, at Pittsburgh, Seattle, and at Arizona. They are 6-3 in the NFC.

    Other wild card contenders currently include:

    PHI (7-4, 6-2, @ATL, @NYG, SF, DEN, @DAL)
    NYG (6-5, 4-3, DAL, PHI, @WAS, CAR, @MIN)
    ATL (6-5, 5-4, PHI, NO, @NYJ, BUF, @TB)
    SF (5-6, 4-3, @SEA, AZ, @PHI, DET, @STL)

    Chicago looks horrible. Despite the rivalry and the game being at Soldier Field, I think the Packers will crush the Bears. If the Packers win that game as well as at home against Seattle, the Packers will finish no worse than 9-7 and no worse than 8-4 in the NFC. And ostensibly, the Cardinals will have nothing to play for in the final week of the season, so the Packers could well be 10-6/9-3.

    Even if the Packers only win two of their three remaining NFC games to finish 9-7/8-4, do you really think any one of the three wild card contenders in the Giants, Falcons, or 49ers could beat the Packers out for the final wild card spot? I doubt it. Look at the schedules...

    As far as the Niners go, the Packers already have the head-to-head win over them. The Niners would have to run the table to finish 10-6 to beat out the Pack.

    As far as the Giants go, they would have to win 4 out of their final five to finish 10-6 to beat out the Pack. If they go 3-2 to finish 9-7, they'll be 7-5 in the NFC and lose out to the Pack.

    As far as the Falcons go, they'd also have to win 4 of their last 5 to beat out the Pack at 10-6. If they finish 3-2, all three of the wins would have to against NFC foes PHI, NO, and TB or they too lose out on their NFC record. Highly unlikely, IMO.

    If the Packers can just beat the Bears and Seahawks, I think they are a virtual lock for the playoffs unless the Giants or Falcons suddenly turn into world beaters instead of the average teams they currently appear to be.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

  2. #2
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    Wow...nicely laid out. Looks likely that they will get a wild card, but looking at that I also like Atlanta's chances.

  3. #3
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    Most definetly, I also believe GB will take one the the Wild Card slots....

    I'de love for us to meet them for a 3rd time, and again, Kick Their A S S ! :woohoo:


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  4. #4
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    NordicNed wrote:
    Most definetly, I also believe GB will take one the the Wild Card slots....

    I'de love for us to meet them for a 3rd time, and again, Kick Their A S S ! :woohoo:
    If the Packers end up as the 6th seed and then win their wild-card game, they will go to New Orleans (assuming the Saints are the #1 seed).

    In that case, I'd probably cheer for the Packers to win, so that the Vikings would host the NFC Championship.

    Remember - the NFL re-seeds the games after the Wild-Card round so that the #1 seed gets the remaining lowest seed.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #5
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,310

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    I don't really like the Falcons chances because I think that they are going to lose without Matt Ryan to Philly this weekend.
    In that case they will be two behind the Eagles with a tie-breaker loss as well. I personally think that 9-7 would be their best case scenario, and they would lose out in a tie-breaker with Green Bay as well.
    If they can win this weekend ... they suddenly gain control though ... and their chances go to very likely.
    Love how an entire NFL season can hinge so much on one game in week 13.

  6. #6
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    midgensa wrote:
    I don't really like the Falcons chances because I think that they are going to lose without Matt Ryan to Philly this weekend.
    In that case they will be two behind the Eagles with a tie-breaker loss as well. I personally think that 9-7 would be their best case scenario, and they would lose out in a tie-breaker with Green Bay as well.
    If they can win this weekend ... they suddenly gain control though ... and their chances go to very likely.
    Love how an entire NFL season can hinge so much on one game in week 13.
    Hmmm.. Didn't factor the tie breakers. I was only basing it off of the remaining teams on the schedule. I don't like ATLs chances without Ryan either. Looking more and more like the Eagles get a shot.

  7. #7
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,310

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    midgensa wrote:
    I don't really like the Falcons chances because I think that they are going to lose without Matt Ryan to Philly this weekend.
    In that case they will be two behind the Eagles with a tie-breaker loss as well. I personally think that 9-7 would be their best case scenario, and they would lose out in a tie-breaker with Green Bay as well.
    If they can win this weekend ... they suddenly gain control though ... and their chances go to very likely.
    Love how an entire NFL season can hinge so much on one game in week 13.
    Hmmm.. Didn't factor the tie breakers. I was only basing it off of the remaining teams on the schedule. I don't like ATLs chances without Ryan either. Looking more and more like the Eagles get a shot.
    I personally do not want to see the Eagles at any point. They always seem to have our number and match-up well with us.

    I don't THINK they would beat us, but I would be much more comfy with the Falcons coming to town. So I am a big ATL fan this weekend.

    I actually think we are the best, top-to-bottom, team in the NFC (and NFL for that matter) but there are still teams that seem to match-up well with us. I would prefer to avoid them when possible

  8. #8
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    Packer and Philly/Cowboys

    Giants done, too many injuries, weak secondary all season. The foot injury to Manning really hurt their season. He just hasn't been the same since that injury. Pierce is a big loss on the defense. He provides a lot of leadership on the field.

    Falcons injuries to Turner and Ryan are going to make it tough. They haven't been consistent from week to week to give anyone a good feeling that they will make it to the playoffs.

    The Eagles have their share of injuries, but if McNabb can stay healthy they will be able to win enough games to get in as a wild card. It doesn't look like the Cowboys will stumble, but that could still happen. If the Boys lose to the Saints and the Eagles beat them in Dallas the last game of the season, the Eagles might be in the position to steal the east. This would leave the Cowboys as the wild card. The east is up in the air, not a lock for the Cowboys.

    We will clinch and the Pack will have to make it as a wild card. The NFCSouth doesn't deserve a wild card team, JMHO.

  9. #9
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    midgensa wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    midgensa wrote:
    I don't really like the Falcons chances because I think that they are going to lose without Matt Ryan to Philly this weekend.
    In that case they will be two behind the Eagles with a tie-breaker loss as well. I personally think that 9-7 would be their best case scenario, and they would lose out in a tie-breaker with Green Bay as well.
    If they can win this weekend ... they suddenly gain control though ... and their chances go to very likely.
    Love how an entire NFL season can hinge so much on one game in week 13.
    Hmmm.. Didn't factor the tie breakers. I was only basing it off of the remaining teams on the schedule. I don't like ATLs chances without Ryan either. Looking more and more like the Eagles get a shot.
    I personally do not want to see the Eagles at any point. They always seem to have our number and match-up well with us.

    I don't THINK they would beat us, but I would be much more comfy with the Falcons coming to town. So I am a big ATL fan this weekend.

    I actually think we are the best, top-to-bottom, team in the NFC (and NFL for that matter) but there are still teams that seem to match-up well with us. I would prefer to avoid them when possible
    Midgensa, personaly I wouldn't mind meeting the Eagles, we would kick their A S S right now. Trust me, it would be like night and day, watching us play them with Favre at QB instead of TJ.....We would dominate them.

    Ned


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re:IMO, Packers are a virtual lock as a wild card

    Excellent first post Pat.

    By the by, who was the yutz on here who was saying the PUKERS were a team that was a OL away from being a playoff team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How about that AFC Wild Card race???
    By purplepat in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM
  2. Wild Card Shaping Up To Be Truly Wild
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 07:57 AM
  3. Our best shot at wild card?
    By Vike_Fanatic in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-16-2006, 12:54 AM
  4. Wild Card Watch.........
    By vIker44 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 10:12 AM
  5. Wild card possibility?
    By BlowuptheDome in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 07:16 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •