Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    Deflecting The Blame

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3117769

  2. #22
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    My complaint about this - FG's are not reviewable plays.
    The call on the field was no good, so why were they allowed to watch it on replay in order to make the decision?
    It is more important to get the call right.
    I agree that they got the call right in the end - but at what price?
    Now every play that is "not reviewable", is reviewable by precedent.
    Incomplete passes, pass interference, etc.


    For the record, I don't know why FGs are not reviewable.
    But the fact is that they are.
    And since they are not reviewable, the officials should not have been allowed to go to the replay booth, watch video, and then reverse their call.

    Call it a discussion, conference, whatever.
    They reviewed the play and changed their call.
    Your use of the word "review" is misleading, NP.
    REPLAY review was NOT used, so I don't see why you're all up-in-a-bunch over the refs getting together and making the call.
    Refs huddle 4 or 5 times every game to make sure calls are correct.


    Now - as to why FGs are no reviewable - my understanding is that the NFL does not want to review "Wide Left" or "Wide Right" calls, because a lot of them travel right over or near the uprights, and that becomes a difficult call to challenge because the angle of the camera can affect that vantage so much.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #23
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,564

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    My complaint about this - FG's are not reviewable plays.
    The call on the field was no good, so why were they allowed to watch it on replay in order to make the decision?
    It is more important to get the call right.
    I agree that they got the call right in the end - but at what price?
    Now every play that is "not reviewable", is reviewable by precedent.
    Incomplete passes, pass interference, etc.


    For the record, I don't know why FGs are not reviewable.
    But the fact is that they are.
    And since they are not reviewable, the officials should not have been allowed to go to the replay booth, watch video, and then reverse their call.

    Call it a discussion, conference, whatever.
    They reviewed the play and changed their call.
    Your use of the word "review" is misleading, NP.
    REPLAY review was NOT used, so I don't see why you're all up-in-a-bunch over the refs getting together and making the call.
    Refs huddle 4 or 5 times every game to make sure calls are correct.


    Now - as to why FGs are no reviewable - my understanding is that the NFL does not want to review "Wide Left" or "Wide Right" calls, because a lot of them travel right over or near the uprights, and that becomes a difficult call to challenge because the angle of the camera can affect that vantage so much.
    =Z=
    That's why they need to put small cameras in the goal posts....the NFL can afford it

  4. #24
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    "vikingivan" wrote:
    I like the fact that the ref did the right thing.
    Although, it was not a reviewable play.
    He took the bull by the horns sort of speak, and reviewed it and got the call right.
    The play is not REVIEWABLE by INSTANT REPLAY, but EVERY CALL can be discussed/REVIEWED by the refs on the field to ensure that the correct call was made.

    That is what happened here.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #25
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    I like the fact that the ref did the right thing.
    Although, it was not a reviewable play.
    He took the bull by the horns sort of speak, and reviewed it and got the call right.
    The play is not REVIEWABLE by INSTANT REPLAY, but EVERY CALL can be discussed/REVIEWED by the refs on the field to ensure that the correct call was made.

    That is what happened here.

    =Z=
    This was the first time I had heard that he didn't get any video from the booth.
    I saw him put the headset on and go from there.
    Still, both officials at the uprights ruled that the FG was no good.
    At what point is the game over an the last call no longer subject to "discussion" by the officials.
    If there had been time on the clock and the Ravens had run a play already, you can bet that they could not have continued to "discuss" it.
    In this case, there was no time lefton
    the clock.
    The game was over.
    The FG was ruled no good, time expired, players had already shaken hands with each other, and some of the Ravens were already in the locker room.

    While the officiating crew clearly got the eventual call correct -- as replays showed -- there's sure to be discussion about how and why an unreviewable play under the league's replay system some how got an "unofficial' review. By someone, somewhere. Even if it was just by virtue of the game officials looking up and seeing the numerous replays of the disputed kick on the JumboTron screen at M&T Bank Stadium.
    Long after the game was seemingly over -- players from both teams had already taken part in the ritual postgame mid-field prayer and some 20 to 25 Ravens were in the locker room pulling off jerseys and tape -- the Browns got the call.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #26
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    My complaint about this - FG's are not reviewable plays.
    The call on the field was no good, so why were they allowed to watch it on replay in order to make the decision?
    It is more important to get the call right.
    I agree that they got the call right in the end - but at what price?
    Now every play that is "not reviewable", is reviewable by precedent.
    Incomplete passes, pass interference, etc.


    For the record, I don't know why FGs are not reviewable.
    But the fact is that they are.
    And since they are not reviewable, the officials should not have been allowed to go to the replay booth, watch video, and then reverse their call.

    Call it a discussion, conference, whatever.
    They reviewed the play and changed their call.
    Your use of the word "review" is misleading, NP.
    REPLAY review was NOT used, so I don't see why you're all up-in-a-bunch over the refs getting together and making the call.
    Refs huddle 4 or 5 times every game to make sure calls are correct.


    Now - as to why FGs are no reviewable - my understanding is that the NFL does not want to review "Wide Left" or "Wide Right" calls, because a lot of them travel right over or near the uprights, and that becomes a difficult call to challenge because the angle of the camera can affect that vantage so much.
    =Z=
    That's why they need to put small cameras in the goal posts....the NFL can afford it
    If you watched the sunday night gae, they had a camera mounted right on the area where the ball hit in the cleveland game. I think that every game should have the same number of cameras taping it and not this "If it isn't sunday or monday night or the game of the week, we will just use the polaroids" stuff we get. It is hard to get consistent quality if you don't have consistent technology from game to game.

    They even had a ball hit the goalpost camera in the Pats game

  7. #27
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I need the Browns to be worse than the Vikings!
    Every year I can talk shit because we are better!
    The Browns will fold.

    One thing that is intersting, they have the #32 Defense in the NFL.
    Well, a lot of the teams they beat are not good teams at all.
    Because they actually have a QB and hopefully he is wearing Viking Purple next year. But that is a different topic.

    I am glad that they got it right. That would suck if they found out later after the fact.

  8. #28
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    My complaint about this - FG's are not reviewable plays.
    The call on the field was no good, so why were they allowed to watch it on replay in order to make the decision?
    It is more important to get the call right.
    I agree that they got the call right in the end - but at what price?
    Now every play that is "not reviewable", is reviewable by precedent.
    Incomplete passes, pass interference, etc.


    For the record, I don't know why FGs are not reviewable.
    But the fact is that they are.
    And since they are not reviewable, the officials should not have been allowed to go to the replay booth, watch video, and then reverse their call.

    Call it a discussion, conference, whatever.
    They reviewed the play and changed their call.
    Your use of the word "review" is misleading, NP.
    REPLAY review was NOT used, so I don't see why you're all up-in-a-bunch over the refs getting together and making the call.
    Refs huddle 4 or 5 times every game to make sure calls are correct.


    Now - as to why FGs are no reviewable - my understanding is that the NFL does not want to review "Wide Left" or "Wide Right" calls, because a lot of them travel right over or near the uprights, and that becomes a difficult call to challenge because the angle of the camera can affect that vantage so much.
    That's why they need to put small cameras in the goal posts....the NFL can afford it
    I agree with the NFL - I fail to see how cameras mounted in the tops of goalpost uprights will be any more viable than 2 guys standing right below them, looking up.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #29
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    I WAS watching the Browns-Ravens game yesterday, but the STUPID DIPSHIT CBS AFFILIATE in MN cut to "Mark Rosen's Post-Game Wrap" (which was one of the most boring football-related things I have ever witnessed).
    Apparently they decided that hearing Brad Childress drone on and on about "pulling it out of the oven" and whatnot was WAY more exciting than a game hinging on one of the craziest field goals I have ever seen.
    They might as well have cut to Heidi. :


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: If you arent watching Browns/Ravens finish, go to it now. CRAZY

    "BBQ" wrote:
    I WAS watching the Browns-Ravens game yesterday, but the STUPID DIPSHIT CBS AFFILIATE in MN cut to "Mark Rosen's Post-Game Wrap" (which was one of the most boring football-related things I have ever witnessed).
    Apparently they decided that hearing Brad Childress drone on and on about "pulling it out of the oven" and whatnot was WAY more exciting than a game hinging on one of the craziest field goals I have ever seen.
    They might as well have cut to Heidi. :
    CBS coverage sucks.


    There camera angles just before the snap aren't usually the wide angle shot that lets you see who is playing or at what posistion and if they did do that shot it was to far away to tell either.

    Although the anouncers didn't do to bad the fact they kept misspronouncing players names Kluwe (Qlue) just irked me.

    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who's going to finish last in the NFL?
    By NaughtyWord in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
  2. Finish this sentence
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
  3. KC Wolf: Drunk Guys Arent Too Hard To Tackle
    By SKOL in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 08:02 PM
  4. Help finish this poem!
    By ultravikingfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-25-2006, 08:48 PM
  5. The Vikes arent done just yet....
    By TheViking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 11:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •