Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

If rookies go bust, five NFL coaches could go boom

No hot seat discussions this year about the Chiller I see. :cheer:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:If rookies go bust, five NFL coaches could go boom

Marrdro wrote:

Chiller has been on the hot seat twice with fans/writers, but I don't think he has been in Zygi's doghouse ever.

The first time, Adrian Peterson bailed him out - our offense couldn't score, and Peterson came in and blew teams up. That got us to 8-8.

The second time was last season, when questions about the horrible hole at QB (Jackson vs Rosenfels) had everyone wondering how Chiller was going to get this team over the hump to actually win a play-off game. He saved himself by begging Favre to come out of retirement, and Favre tore up the league.

Right now, odds are that Favre is coming back. By itself, that makes us the odds on favorite to win the NFCN again, and challange for a shot at the Superbowl. Coaches in that position don't get "Hot seat" treatment.

However, if Favre doesn't come back - or, if he gets hurt for a long period of time and the team falls back to the 8-8 area, or sputters out early, the pressure will be on Chiller to fix the problem ASAP - and he would then be on the hot seat the following season (From fans and writers).

With Wilf, it's different. Chiller allows Wilf to feel involved and important...as long as he does that, Wilf will back him.

Caine

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Good or bad, Josh McDaniel will always be known as a guy who drafted Tim Tebow.

Just as Mike Lynn will always be remembered for?
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Chiller has been on the hot seat twice with fans/writers, but I don't think he has been in Zygi's doghouse ever.

The first time, Adrian Peterson bailed him out - our offense couldn't score, and Peterson came in and blew teams up. That got us to 8-8.

The second time was last season, when questions about the horrible hole at QB (Jackson vs Rosenfels) had everyone wondering how Chiller was going to get this team over the hump to actually win a play-off game. He saved himself by begging Favre to come out of retirement, and Favre tore up the league.

Right now, odds are that Favre is coming back. By itself, that makes us the odds on favorite to win the NFCN again, and challange for a shot at the Superbowl. Coaches in that position don't get "Hot seat" treatment.

However, if Favre doesn't come back - or, if he gets hurt for a long period of time and the team falls back to the 8-8 area, or sputters out early, the pressure will be on Chiller to fix the problem ASAP - and he would then be on the hot seat the following season (From fans and writers).

With Wilf, it's different. Chiller allows Wilf to feel involved and important...as long as he does that, Wilf will back him.

Caine
    I agree with this post.

My issue with the team, a bit is Chilly, but I've said it before, it all starts at the top.

IMO, Zygi is a great guy to own a team, he's not cheap, and can afford to get things done on the business end. However, he should have no involvement whatsoever on the football end of things. He was never a football guy, and should not have a part of it aside from hiring/firing coaches. He needs to sit Chilly down and tell him to make sure he has his shit together(and I suspect he has, which prompted TJ to be benched and Frerotte to start a couple years ago). Instead, we sign Favre (Good move IMO), but as soon as Favre almost singlehandedly wins a few games, bringing us from a decent record to a great record, Zygi gives him an extension. Poor, poor decision I think.

With this extension, what has Chilli done? Absolutely nothing. He's relaxed, and no longer feels the pressure to perform because he has a bit of job security.

A great example of htis was the draft. We ignored some obvious holes that will be coming in the next couple years, and instead opted to trade down, yet somehow come out with fewer picks (that in itself still amazes me) and draft BPA.

If Chilly was on his last year of the contract, I have no doubt he would have gone after a QB, he would have possibly traded up to get an impact player, such as maybe Weatherspoon or a top S/CB.

Instead, he knows he now has time on his side, and is willing to take what he gets and see how it goes.

Some questions, I'd be curious to hear answers: If Chilly's job wasn't on the line, would he have:
    Sat TJ and played Frerotte? I don't think so
    Drafted Harvin? Again, I don't see him taking that risk
    Signed Favre? Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say.

The thing is, he's taken some awful big risks prior to his extension, knowing he either has to fix the team, or he's out. Its win-win for him. If he fixes the team temporarily(he has), he gets to keep his job. If those risks blow up in his face, he faces the same fate he would have anyway, he's gone and someone else has to clean up his mess.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I doubt we see any rediculous trades the next couple of years, I doubt we see many high profile signings.

I can't imagine that Schwartz is on the hot seat, already. I think that he just needs a win or 4 to keep his job. Maybe even 3. As long as there's progression, I think that the fans can hold up for another year. They surely understand that this thing is a big project. They had to overhaul that entire defense that was geared towards speed and was pretty much horrible, anyway. Nearly every guy had to be replaced. And that offense wasn't much better.

Where do you get those wins on a schedule that looks pretty tough, though? The Bills, maybe once against the Bears... The Buccaneers and Rams both look to be quite a bit better, as well. We'll see. I think that Schwartz will stick for another year, at least.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Caine
    I agree with this post.

My issue with the team, a bit is Chilly, but I've said it before, it all starts at the top.

IMO, Zygi is a great guy to own a team, he's not cheap, and can afford to get things done on the business end. However, he should have no involvement whatsoever on the football end of things. He was never a football guy, and should not have a part of it aside from hiring/firing coaches. He needs to sit Chilly down and tell him to make sure he has his shit together(and I suspect he has, which prompted TJ to be benched and Frerotte to start a couple years ago). Instead, we sign Favre (Good move IMO), but as soon as Favre almost singlehandedly wins a few games, bringing us from a decent record to a great record, Zygi gives him an extension. Poor, poor decision I think.

With this extension, what has Chilli done? Absolutely nothing. He's relaxed, and no longer feels the pressure to perform because he has a bit of job security.

A great example of htis was the draft. We ignored some obvious holes that will be coming in the next couple years, and instead opted to trade down, yet somehow come out with fewer picks (that in itself still amazes me) and draft BPA.

If Chilly was on his last year of the contract, I have no doubt he would have gone after a QB, he would have possibly traded up to get an impact player, such as maybe Weatherspoon or a top S/CB.

Instead, he knows he now has time on his side, and is willing to take what he gets and see how it goes.

Some questions, I'd be curious to hear answers: If Chilly's job wasn't on the line, would he have:

The thing is, he's taken some awful big risks prior to his extension, knowing he either has to fix the team, or he's out. Its win-win for him. If he fixes the team temporarily(he has), he gets to keep his job. If those risks blow up in his face, he faces the same fate he would have anyway, he's gone and someone else has to clean up his mess.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I doubt we see any rediculous trades the next couple of years, I doubt we see many high profile signings.
    Not a big limb to go out on, especially when you consider that the Chiller doesn't do any of those things you just mentioned.

If I'm not mistaken, the VP of Player Personnel is the cat who does all that player aquisition stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Caine
    Or....the staff could be right about TJ and he comes in and plays better than he did the year before, just as he has done each and every year.

If that happens, and I think it will, I believe people will move on to something else to harp on the guy for.

Rockmolder wrote:
    I can't imagine that Schwartz is on the hot seat, already. I think that he just needs a win or 4 to keep his job. Maybe even 3. As long as there's progression, I think that the fans can hold up for another year. They surely understand that this thing is a big project. They had to overhaul that entire defense that was geared towards speed and was pretty much horrible, anyway. Nearly every guy had to be replaced. And that offense wasn't much better.

Where do you get those wins on a schedule that looks pretty tough, though? The Bills, maybe once against the Bears... The Buccaneers and Rams both look to be quite a bit better, as well. We'll see. I think that Schwartz will stick for another year, at least.
    I can. We've won the division twice in a row, back to back, and we still have people who believe our HC can't be a HC.

Go figure huh.

Don't for one minute think that the Lions fans won't turn on thier HC my friend.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Caine
    I agree with this post.

Not a big limb to go out on, especially when you consider that the Chiller doesn't do any of those things you just mentioned.

If I'm not mistaken, the VP of Player Personnel is the cat who does all that player aquisition stuff.
    I'm curious... when they interview rookies, who do they say they talk to on the phone? The coach.

When FA's come for a visit, who takes them for dinner? The Coach

When Favre was available, who actively pursued him, despite the VP of player personell being skeptical? The coach

When Harvin had all the negative rap on him, who personally flew down to visit and see what he was about? The coach.

Yes, Ricky is active in it, but I'm willing to be if Chilly says "No, we need to go this direction", Rick will listen.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Josh McDaniels ......Tick,Tick,Tick!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast