Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: if the pukers win it all, will brett retire?

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "bono" wrote:
    I think it's possible that he will retire if he and the Pack make it to the BIG SHOW and win it all! Why not? What better way to end a HEALTHY/OVER ACCOMPLISHED CAREER, than via the Lombardi "parade"?! I know I would. I'd want him to! He's had to deal w/ so much as a GB player...and for a guy who has LITERALLY put the green and gold dairyland on the map, I think he deserves nothing more than to finish on top!
    But, just like someone else stated: Brett loves the game too much...knowing him, he might retired ONLY when he really feels as though he has nothing left in him...and that could be, sadly/shockingly, a decade from now! LOL
    I honestly believe that Favre thinks he CAN mustard out another x-amount of years in the league. And if that happens, forget the Hall of Fame, the league will HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE to make up an even higher honor for him (and any other player, who's got the right *stuff*, to come) to have his name and face glazed!

My god.. Is that you John Madden?
    :

No, seriously. Read that as if it were John Madden saying it. It sounds exactly like something he would say. A higher honor than the hall of fame for Favre. PLEASE!
    : :
    How bout a baseball bat to the shin?

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Favre will not retire, as long as the media keeps kissing his a**. He gets credit for wining games putting up 10-13 pts, it should be the defense getting the credit. With all the Favre love fests during each broadcast it fuels his big ego, he can't stop now. Seriously on Monday Night I had to change the channel rather than listen to the man love and his wife's meaningless drivle during the waste of time in the booth.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

BabaGanJa is offline Training Camp

They won't win it this year but, he'll retire in one or two years regardless.
    He has been rejuvinated by the youth of the team and isn't quite ready to relenquish.

deadzone50 is offline Rookie

Re: if the packers win it all, will brett retire?

Go Pack!

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"Frostbite" wrote:
    I have great respect for players like Brett because they are playing the game because they LOVE IT. Brett didn't come back this season because he knew he had a winning team. He came back...I believe... because Football means something more to him than Money/Fame etc. Don't get me wrong I can't stand the packers overall....Love it when we thump em! It's a great rivalry.

I think if Brett Retires (I believe He Will Regardless of Making It to S.B.) it will be because he simply can't compete any longer at a level he himself is comfortable with. He's taken a lot of hits and his age is starting to catch up with him too.

JMHO...I think he officially hangs it up after this season.

Cheers!
    Good analogy, but he is still playing at a high level and seems to enjoy the increased involvement in the playcalling.. bad news for the NFCN.. but Favre plays at least through his contract, through the 2009 season. Just a guess.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"pack93z" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    I have great respect for players like Brett because they are playing the game because they LOVE IT. Brett didn't come back this season because he knew he had a winning team. He came back...I believe... because Football means something more to him than Money/Fame etc. Don't get me wrong I can't stand the packers overall....Love it when we thump em! It's a great rivalry.

I think if Brett Retires (I believe He Will Regardless of Making It to S.B.) it will be because he simply can't compete any longer at a level he himself is comfortable with. He's taken a lot of hits and his age is starting to catch up with him too.

JMHO...I think he officially hangs it up after this season.

Cheers!
    Good analogy, but he is still playing at a high level and seems to enjoy the increased involvement in the playcalling.. bad news for the NFCN.. but Favre plays at least through his contract, through the 2009 season. Just a guess.
    IMO, Favre's loves the attention he draws contemplating retirement at the end of each & every year. He will again play the drama queen & prolong it again this season.

He has already delayed his decision of retirement over the past years beyond the draft, IMO directly affecting who GB decides to go after in the draft. So far since drafting Brooks, the Packers have banked on Favre returning, but had he retired in any of those years after the draft, he would have cost the Packers an opportunity to draft a QB.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    IMO, Favre's loves the attention he draws contemplating retirement at the end of each & every year. He will again play the drama queen & prolong it again this season.

He has already delayed his decision of retirement over the past years beyond the draft, IMO directly affecting who GB decides to go after in the draft. So far since drafting Brooks, the Packers have banked on Favre returning, but had he retired in any of those years after the draft, he would have cost the Packers an opportunity to draft a QB.
    While I don't deny the claim that he seems to enjoy the attention the decision draws each year, I don't think it really has affected the draft strategy of the Pack. While I don't agree with all the picks the captain monolog has made the last couple years, I don't believe Favre's decision played into it. Other than maybe the Rodgers pick.

Example, this past year, Favre declared in Feb that he was returning.. did it change the thinking and have them focused on adding more weapons around Favre. Nope, it was defense first and projects at the skill positions. Not much in FA either..

Ted seems to have Ron Wolf's nack for picking players in the latter rounds and having success with it. Maybe he should hire out the duty of picking in the 1st round.
    ;D

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=112

Favre has completed 66 percent of his passes.
    He has thrown for 11 touchdowns and 6 picks.
    He has a passer rating of 92.5.
    The Packers are 6-1.
    Favre is playing next year no matter what.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"pack93z" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

While I don't deny the claim that he seems to enjoy the attention the decision draws each year, I don't think it really has affected the draft strategy of the Pack. While I don't agree with all the picks the captain monolog has made the last couple years, I don't believe Favre's decision played into it. Other than maybe the Rodgers pick.

Example, this past year, Favre declared in Feb that he was returning.. did it change the thinking and have them focused on adding more weapons around Favre. Nope
    , it was defense first and projects at the skill positions. Not much in FA either..

Ted seems to have Ron Wolf's nack for picking players in the latter rounds and having success with it. Maybe he should hire out the duty of picking in the 1st round.
    ;D
    I agree with you about last year. Favre's decision was made in February, thus ensuring he would be on the team before the draft, so GB would not need to look for a QB in the draft.

But in 2006, Favre's decision came after the draft & had he retired, GB would still have had Brooks, but would be lacking depth at the QB position & would have missed the opportunity to draft another QB higher up in the draft either to back up Brooks or be the future QB if Brooks did not pan out.

If you recall, Brooks did not look good in 2005, so in the 2006 draft, they might have looked for a QB if Favre decided to retire before the draft. Since Favre didn't decide until after the draft, GB took a gamble by not drafting a QB in hopes Favre would return in 2006.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

deadzone50 is offline Rookie

"vikingivan" wrote:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=112

Favre has completed 66 percent of his passes.
    He has thrown for 11 touchdowns and 6 picks.
    He has a passer rating of 92.5.
    The Packers are 6-1.
    Favre is playing next year no matter what.
    No doubt Favre will return, the team will be better and he has developing weapons, next year Jones, Jennings and Driver
    Ooof! Now thats a tendem.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast