Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
  1. #21
    Randy Moss's Avatar
    Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    453
    I think we need to take a look at Carson Palmer. It wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders drafted a QB and unloaded Palmer. He's underrated and can stretch the field. He's put up a ton of yardage on a team with worse wide receivers than us. At only 32, he can be around for another 5 years.

  2. #22
    Tad7's Avatar
    Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,447
    Either Alex Smith or Ryan Mallett

    I don't know if it's better to go with a guy who's average but at least we know he's average or take a chance on trading for Mallett who probably has upside but is a question mark when it comes to NFL regular season play.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

    X MARKS THE SPOT

  3. #23
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    I think we need to take a look at Carson Palmer. It wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders drafted a QB and unloaded Palmer. He's underrated and can stretch the field. He's put up a ton of yardage on a team with worse wide receivers than us. At only 32, he can be around for another 5 years.
    You're lauging if you think the Raiders have worse WRs than us. THey're not reliable, but they get open and are deep threats. Heyward-Bey is finally starting to play decently, Denarious Moore is actually decent, Jacoby Ford isn't awful. That's more than you can say about ANY of our receivers now.

  4. #24
    Randy Moss's Avatar
    Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    You're lauging if you think the Raiders have worse WRs than us. THey're not reliable, but they get open and are deep threats. Heyward-Bey is finally starting to play decently, Denarious Moore is actually decent, Jacoby Ford isn't awful. That's more than you can say about ANY of our receivers now.
    That's fair. Admittedly, I haven't watched a Raiders game since the last time we played them. However, the point still stands, Palmer is going to put up 4500 yards on a bad team with below average receiving core. Getting Palmer wouldn't suddenly mean that we wouldn't be in dire need of a receiver, but at least it would be a start.

  5. #25
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    That's fair. Admittedly, I haven't watched a Raiders game since the last time we played them. However, the point still stands, Palmer is going to put up 4500 yards on a bad team with below average receiving core. Getting Palmer wouldn't suddenly mean that we wouldn't be in dire need of a receiver, but at least it would be a start.
    We'd still manage to find a way to screw it up.

    And that's dependent on the Raiders just releasing Palmer. Remember what they paid to get him in the first place?

  6. #26
    vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wausau, WI
    Posts
    221
    Blog Entries
    1
    As I mentioned before, I feel hesitant to make too many drastic changes to a team that's already won 3 more games than all of last year, with the potential to win at least another 2 games or so. That being said, the Vikings have the NFL's 32nd (dead last!) rated passing offense, and this (in my opinion) is totally unacceptable. In the offseason, I feel the team needs to make a complete, total commitment to work on this passing offense to make it better.

    My brother feels that Ponder has some major problems with his throwing mechanics (limp-wristed throwing delivery) and his footwork (doesn't set his feet when he throws). Where I grew up in Iowa, throwing mechanics and footwork were emphasized for QB's at the junior high school level! It would be my hope that these issues would be correctable. If so, then Ponder should have another year with a hopefully improved receiver corps. If not, however, then it would seem that a veteran QB (e.g. Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, even Michael Vick) could be brought in to establish an active QB competition.

    The Vikings should be proud of their improvement from a 3-13 record. At the same time, we fans know that more improvements, especially in the passing game, are needed to get the team to the next level. If the team retrogrades in 2013, perhaps then could be the time to explore bigger changes at QB, coordinator, coaching staff - even Spielman himself! Let's hope this doesn't happen!

  7. #27
    kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    190
    This team surprisingly is or WAS playoff material. Not to say they would do anything in a playoff but they surely are good enough except for one thing. Ponder has been SO POOR at the passing game and turnovers that he negates all the good things that have come from this team. Adrian having his best year since his rook season. The o line much improved over last year. The secondary which has been solidified with Smith, a healthy WInfield, Robinson, and a few additons. A d line that probaly has underperformed but still pretty good, and linebackers that while have a few questionmarks have Greenway playing well. And a special teams that was one of the best in the league with the exception of that pussy punter that can't stay away from his twitter account. All and all this team has what it takes to make it to the playoffs. The ONE AND ONLY THINK KEEPING THEM FROM THAT GOAL IS PONDER. THAT CANNOT BE REFUTED.

  8. #28
    acman1's Avatar
    acman1 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    64
    Matt Flynn?

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Personally, I like the idea of giving Ponder one more year to prove us wrong. He's got some ability, but hasn't showed the ability to improve the way we'd like to see. He's making the same mistakes again and again. For somebody that's supposedly one of the most accurate and smartest people in the league, he sure isn't playing that way. I would still like to see how he looks if we can get good blocking and receivers.

    That leaves us four options really

    1. Draft a QB early... Again
    2. Hope Webb can provide the spark
    3. Sign a UFA.
    4. Trade for a QB

    1. We have too many concerns to blow another pick on another early round QB in a relatively weak QB class. Barkley hasn't looked super hot, and honestly, USC QB's haven't been all that int he past 15 years. Like it or not, we don't suck enough to get Geno Smith from WV, another option could be whatshisname from Texas A&M, but that's a huge reach imo. Draft isn't the answer for us. We need receivers, OL, LB, CB, DL.... wasting a first round pick on another QB is an awful move.

    2. We've given Webb a few chances, and he's looked... well... looked like an athletic kid who sort of can throw, that teams don't prepare for. He's not a starting QB in the league, good for a spark off the bench only. Not really an option. Alternative: McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson. AN undrafted QB, who's never taken an NFL snap in his career. I know many of you think he's the second coming of Tony Romo or something like that, I just don't see it happening. He's got a good arm, but there's a reason he's never been a second string guy in the NFL. If we go in a season with him as our starter, that's trouble

    3. UFAs. This prospect intrigues me.
    This season there will potentially be:
    Joe Flacco
    Matt Schaub
    Matt Moore
    Peyton Manning

    I fully expect Matt Schaub will be re-signed. I don't like the idea of Matt Moore as our starter, Peyton Manning's contract is structured in a way that he CAN become an UFA, but I highly doubt that based on how he's played. If Flacco does end up not being re-signed, what do you think?

    He's had his struggles behind a suspect OL. He short-hopps passes sometimes but he has a big arm and can make all the throws. He's more decisive than Ponder, both presently, and even when he was a second year guy. He's not as fast, but is deceptively athletic. Joe CAN run if he has to.

    Lastly, we can trade for a QB.

    A couple guys we could potentially pry away:
    Ryan Mallett.... You know, the guy I wanted us to get instead of Ponder. I have no idea what Bellicheck's plan is for him, whether he thinks he's the future replacement for Brady, or just a backup. If the price is right, he could be a guy to look into. Big, big guy, huge arm. Very immobile, but CAN be a decent option. If they'd take a third rounder, that might be worth it.

    Colt McCoy. Got screwed by the Browns.. well... being the browns. He's got some talent, he's a fast guy, can move around in the pocket and take it and run. He doens't have a huge arm, but has shown he can at least produce a little bit under adverse conditions (being a brown). We have better receivers than they do (oh my god, that can't be right), better OL. Worth a shot for a late-mid round pick? It's pretty obvious that Weeden will be their guy going forward.

    TJ Yates. This guy actually is a guy I'd like to bring in. He's got a very good deep ball. not the biggest arm, but his deep accuracy is very good. He puts the ball on target very well, and does well on the shorter passes as well. Scouting reports have him with very good footwork and work ethics. Has been compared to Peyton Manning in just how he obsesses over small details that can help his game. He's now played a few games in the NFL, and has won as well. He shows composure, skill and production. Would be a great prospect if we can get him. One downside is he's a bit of a gunslinger. He'll try and force the ball in somewhere. That can be good, but can also hurt. This is something that's coachable, but it's not always a bad trait.

    Alex Smith. I'm willing to bet when Kaepernick was named starter, Smith called his agent and said "Get me out of here". Smith is not a great player, but has slowly developed into a servicable starter. He's not a guy to lead a franchise to victory after victory, but with a decent supporting cast, he can be a reliable player. We need to address other positions such as WR, OL and D, but if we can get a couple pieces to help, Smith could be a guy that can get us to the playoffs.

    Thoughts?
    You had me until Mallet and TJ Yates.

    It looks to me that most of your criteria is based on a "Deep Ball". So, going on that....

    Smith - You know the reason he will not be back is twofold.....a) 8-14 Mill and b) He has a weak arm. What makes you think his weak arm would make you any happier. Also, lets not forget the run of O-coords that couldn't get game out of him. What makes you think someone other than JH can do it?

    Yates....Gunslinger? Ponder's INT's are coming from his "Forcing" the ball into spots he believes he can throw them. That is the same mentality that your "Gunslingers" have. Again, what makes you think you would/will be happy watching that happen?

    McCoy. Really? Is he that much better than Weeden? Oh wait, the staff screwed him so that he would look worse than Weeden right?

    Mallet head? Again, really? Every team passed on him multiple times. Bellicheck being Bellicheck, he took him with one of the many "Free" picks he grabbed from other teams that trade for his rejects.

    In the end, like it or not, Ponder is the QB of the future, at least one more year into the future mostly because there is no one on the streets better.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You had me until Mallet and TJ Yates.

    It looks to me that most of your criteria is based on a "Deep Ball". So, going on that....

    Smith - You know the reason he will not be back is twofold.....a) 8-14 Mill and b) He has a weak arm. What makes you think his weak arm would make you any happier. Also, lets not forget the run of O-coords that couldn't get game out of him. What makes you think someone other than JH can do it?

    Yates....Gunslinger? Ponder's INT's are coming from his "Forcing" the ball into spots he believes he can throw them. That is the same mentality that your "Gunslingers" have. Again, what makes you think you would/will be happy watching that happen?

    McCoy. Really? Is he that much better than Weeden? Oh wait, the staff screwed him so that he would look worse than Weeden right?

    Mallet head? Again, really? Every team passed on him multiple times. Bellicheck being Bellicheck, he took him with one of the many "Free" picks he grabbed from other teams that trade for his rejects.

    In the end, like it or not, Ponder is the QB of the future, at least one more year into the future mostly because there is no one on the streets better.
    let's just hope spielman can figure something out and get some receivers on this team and a QB.... I hope we take a serious look at michael vick...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •