Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VikingDawg is offline Training Camp

IF Miami were to loose out or have the worst record in the NFL......

With the talk of DC going on IR for the fins.
    Remeber this is all speculation.
    If Miami ends up with the worst record in the NFL and gets the first pick in the 2007 draft, should they draft Brady Quinn or another QB?
    Or do they stick with DC hoping that he is fine after another year of rehab?
    Don't meet force with force

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: IF Miami were to loose out or have the worst record in the NFL......

That's the big question.
    The pro-Daunte and anti-Daunte crowds can come up with all kinds of stats to verify their positions.
    Saban's NFL coaching career hinges on that decision.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingDawg" wrote:
    With the talk of DC going on IR for the fins.
    Remeber this is all speculation.
    If Miami ends up with the worst record in the NFL and gets the first pick in the 2007 draft, should they draft Brady Quinn or another QB?
    Or do they stick with DC hoping that he is fine after another year of rehab?
    I think you stick with Daunte, trade down from the #1 position and make sure you end up with the best O-Lineman in the draft.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Well if they want another bust at QB, then they'll draft Brady "I'm vastly overaited" Quinn.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I highly doubt that, With both Harrington and C-pep on the roster I just can't see them investing in another 1st round QB.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    I highly doubt that, With both Harrington and C-pep on the roster I just can't see them investing in another 1st round QB.
    I could see them do it. But it all depends on where they end up drafting.

If they are in the top 3, it's not that far fetched to go after a good QB to develop. Neither of the two others has proved themselves so far.

And then if Saban is out after this season everything is up in the air.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

I think Saban is in too deep with Culpepper at this point. After this season, Daunte would obviously have no real trade value (he is probably going on IR soon) and neither would Harrington (but still more value than Culpepper IMO). If Saban was smart, he would ditch the whole Culpepper experiment and buy himself a couple more seasons with a young prospect like Quinn, but I think he's going to have to play the cards he's been delt with ol' Daunte and bite the proverbial bullet. I see another losing season next year with Daunte at the helm and a Saban exit not far behind.
    Even babies know the difference.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

BTW, if Joey starts a certain percentage of games (think it is 35%) the Dolphins owe the Lions a higher than original pick in the draft.
    I wish I could be more specific on this, just heard it in passing flipping through channels one sounday during a Phins Game.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    BTW, if Joey starts a certain percentage of games (think it is 35%) the Dolphins owe the Lions a higher than original pick in the draft.
    I wish I could be more specific on this, just heard it in passing flipping through channels one sounday during a Phins Game.
    Dolphins | Harrington could cost team a fifth-round draft pick - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:17:54 -0700

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Miami Dolphins would be forced to give up a fifth-round draft pick in 2007 to the Detroit Lions should QB Joey Harrington play in 35 percent of the team's offensive snaps this season. Harrington has already participated in 20.6 percent of snaps so far and is expected to start Week 6.
    I would hate to be an HC and have my career riding on Harrington/Culpepper.
    Good luck Nick.
    Sounds a bit Haslettesque regarding his relationship with Brooks and we all know how that story ended.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Profootballtalk is speculating in his exit from Miami.

POSTED 4:19 p.m. EST, November 2, 2006

SABAN LOOKING TO FLEE FROM THE FINS?

Surprisingly, there's a rumor making the rounds that Dolphins coach Nick Saban might try to get out of Miami after the 2006 season.

The talk is that Saban sees no light at the end of the tunnel for a franchise with an aging nucleus and an unsettled quarterback situation.
    And the fact that he's on his way to the first losing record of his coaching career is "killing him," we're told.

Even if the Fins continue to flounder and win the Brady Quinn derby, it'll be a couple of years (at least) before Quinn can make a difference.

Of course, the mere fact that Saban might want out means nothing if the team doesn't want him to leave.
    He is under contract through the 2009 season.
    Though the franchise can't force him to honor the deal, they most likely can keep him from coaching for anyone else.

But we won't rule out a mutual parting of the ways, because owner Wayne Huizenga surely can't be happy with the current status of the team in light of the sky-high preseason expectations.
    If, for example, Saban wants out and Huizenga wants him out, then perhaps the two sides agree that he'll be released from his obligations and that he'll be owed no salary for 2007 through 2009.

If Saban leaves, the obvious question is where would he go next?
    Vacancies in the NFL might be scarce next season, even though there are several cities in which the current coach could retire (Dallas, Pittsburgh, Washington, Seattle, Indy), quit (Tennessee, Cardinals), or be fired (Ravens, Browns, Chargers, Eagles, Lions, Cardinals, 49ers).

Want an intriguing possibility?
    How about the Bears, where head coach Lovie Smith still hasn't gotten an extension beyond the 2007 season.
    What if they win the Super Bowl and he asks to be released so that he can go coach, say, a team in his home state of Texas?
    Saban and Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo are good friends, and Saban could end up on the short list to replace Smith.

Or Saban could return to the college game.
    Though we don't follow "amateur" football closely enough to know which jobs might come open, Joe Collegio of our sister site recently has mentioned that Mike Shula could be in trouble at Alabama.

Keep in mind that this is simply wild-ass speculation.
    But what's not speculation is the chatter regarding Saban's unhappiness with his current situation.
    If the feeling becomes mutual, Saban's stay in South Florida could end up being just as long (and possibly not as successful) as Steve Spurrier's two-season stint with the 'Skins.

POSTED 9:25 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 11:00 a.m. EST, November 3, 2006

SABAN SAYS HE'S HAPPY IN MIAMI

On Thursday, we heard from a very good source that Michigan State intends to make a run at Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban, who coached the Spartans before heading to LSU.

On Thursday night, Saban said on his weekly radio show that he won't be leaving:
    "I want you to be rest assured we're happy here in Miami," Saban told a caller.
    "We're excited about the future.
    We're excited about getting it turned around for this season.

"I'm not interested in going back North anywhere."

Um.
    What else would the guy say?
    What else could he say?
    No comment?
    We'll cross that bridge when we come to it?
    We're not happy in Miami, in fact we think it really sucks here?

Rest assured that the word is that Saban is miserable in Miami.
    And, of course, if owner Wayne Huizenga thinks Saban is miserable and wants out, then it's less likely that Saban gets bought out of the last three years of his contract.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast