Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: I just heard that LaVar Arrington was seriously injured on the DC Beltway

"Billy" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I bet we are going to start seeing owners and coaches addressing motorcycle riding in contracts.
    Doesn't the NBA already do that?
    Many teams in the NFL already have motorcycle regulating clauses in players contracts.
    Example please of this sweeping statement?

There's nothing in the standard player contract which specifically speaks to riding motorcycles.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I bet we are going to start seeing owners and coaches addressing motorcycle riding in contracts.
    Many teams in the NFL already have motorcycle regulating clauses in players contracts.

There's nothing in the standard player contract which specifically speaks to riding motorcycles.

=Z=
    I am not certain how prevalent it is thoughout the NFL, and every team is different.

Now that I reread NP's post is see more what he ment with specific wording of motorcycles.

Looks like your right that the typical NFL contract doesn't specifically mention motorcycles, what I was mentioning is the "dangerous activities clause".

Most standard NFL contracts include a clause that forbids "dangerous activities" and it varies from team to team whether that clause details any of those activities or not. Some teams have gone to great length to do so.
    Roethlisberger

Browns mention it but not how common it is.

Many professional athletes have contract clauses that prohibit them from dangerous activities, including motorcycles. Browns spokeswoman Amy Palcic declined comment on whether Winslow's deal has a similar provision, saying the team doesn't release contract information.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Billy" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I am not certain how prevalent it is thoughout the NFL, and every team is different.

Every team is differant, now that I reread NP's post is see more what he ment with specific wording of Motorcycles.

Looks like your right that the typical NFL contract doesn't specifically mention Motorcycles, what I was mentioning is the "dangerous activities clause".

Most standard NFL contracts include a clause that forbids "dangerous activities" and it varies from team to team whether that clause details any of those activities or not. Some teams have gone to great length to do so.
    Roethlisberger

I will look to see if I can find specific cases of a motorcycle clause.
    Taking Wikipedia with a grain-of-salt, it says this about Kellen Winslow II and his motorcycle clause, accident and subsequent NON-sanction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellen_Winslow_II

2005 motorcycle accident
    This expectation changed on May 1st, 2005 when Winslow, while riding his Suzuki GSX-R750 motorcycle in a community college parking lot in Cleveland, hit a curb at about 35 mph and was thrown from his bike. Winslow sustained a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and was placed on the "Physically Unable-to-Perform (Non Football Injury)" list for the 2005 season. Winslow also fought off a six-week staph infection that resulted from his knee injury.

While Winslow was contractually obligated by the NFL's standard player contract not to "engage in … any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury", and specifically not to ride a motorcycle under his contract with the Browns, he nevertheless purchased the powerful sport bike. Lt. Judy Neel of the Ohio State Highway Patrol reported that Winslow obtained a motorcycle learner's permit April 26 after initially failing a written exam administered in the Garfield Heights district of Cleveland. Initially, it was speculated that the Browns would seek to recoup a pro-rated share of the $6 million signing bonus Winslow received in 2004 and perhaps the entire $4.4 million option bonus he was paid in March 2005, although the Browns later declined to take such action.
    So, as you note, there is a standard "...signifcant risk of personal injury..." clause in the contract.
    And, it notes further, the Browns added motorcycle language to it.

And for what?
    So this jackass can go ahead and buy a bike, fuck himself up royally with it and get away with no penalty.

Now - if this guy had been a 3rd-string RG, then his ass woulda been cut.
    More of the typical double-standard here.....

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Arrington Hospitalized Through Rest of Week[/size]

Friday, June 22, 2007
    -- Jason La Canfora
    washingtonpost.com

Former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington will remain at Prince George's Hospital Center at least through the remainder of this week as a precaution following his motorcycle accident Monday, according to his lawyer, Rosalyn Pugh. Arrington already has had one surgical procedure to repair his fractured forearm, Pugh said, and has deep lacerations that require care as well....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

[size=13pt]Arrington still in hospital[/size]

By David Elfin
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

June 28, 2007

LaVar Arrington was more severely injured in his June 19 motorcycle accident than his agent and attorney let on.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"...significant risk of personal injury..."

Once you sort through the hype, the reason motorcycles aren't listed in stronger language is they DO NOT have a SIGNIFICANT RISK of personal injury.

Depending on which study you read, the risk of injury is below 2% and the death rate is barely a blip on the map (0.00069%).
    Yet, we think they are a death trap because of all the media reports.

The only SIGNIFICANT RISK is when the bikes goes down.
    If you crash your bike . . . you are going to get hurt . . . and if you aren't wearing the proper gear . . . the injuries will be more severe!

Motorcycles aren't even "typically" listed on life insurance exclusions, such as smoking, skydiving, acts of war, flying on planes, etc.

Most of the accidents & deaths occur by inexperienced riders, and stupid acts (Drinking & driving, speeding, and not wearing the proper clothing).

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

[size=13pt]Arrington released from hospital [/size]

CHEVERLY, Md. (AP) Three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington was released from the hospital Monday, two weeks after breaking his right arm and severely cutting his leg in a motorcycle accident....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123