Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "NeoVikesTX" wrote:
    Makes me wonder if a team like the Pittsburgh Steelers were first to do something like this if the media would would give it a slightly different approach. I can see it now....

"The Pittsburgh Steelers cunningly pry all-pro Hutchinson from Seahawks. In a suprising and intelligent move by the Pittsburgh organization, ..........."

Just a thought.
    Apparently 13 years is long enough for 99.9% of the public to forget that Minnesota wasn't the first team to use a poison pill on a transition player.

Story

"The Indianapolis Colts signed Will Wolford, Buffalo's transition player, to an offer sheet that included a clause guaranteeing he be the team's highest-paid offensive player.

The Bills already had quarterback Jim Kelly as their highest-paid offensive player. They argued the clause violated the collective bargaining agreement. An arbiter said it did not. The Bills declined to match the offer sheet, and Wolford signed with the Colts to become their highest-paid offensive player.

After that decision, the league and the union amended the CBA. It now states that no team attempting to match an offer sheet for one of its transition players can be required by a Wolford-like clause to pay that player more than what the offering team would pay him. "
    I didn't forget that. But we structured the contract in a sneaky way to get around the amendment to the CBA. Technically, we aren't paying Hutchinson any more than the Seahawks would be paying him. But that whole guaranteed or not guaranteed thing, in the end, really does ensure that we won't.

I'm just saying I can understand why Holmgren (and others in the NFL) are annoyed with the Vikes for opening up this can of worms.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "NeoVikesTX" wrote:
    Makes me wonder if a team like the Pittsburgh Steelers were first to do something like this if the media would would give it a slightly different approach. I can see it now....

"The Pittsburgh Steelers cunningly pry all-pro Hutchinson from Seahawks. In a suprising and intelligent move by the Pittsburgh organization, ..........."

Just a thought.
    Apparently 13 years is long enough for 99.9% of the public to forget that Minnesota wasn't the first team to use a poison pill on a transition player.

Story

"The Indianapolis Colts signed Will Wolford, Buffalo's transition player, to an offer sheet that included a clause guaranteeing he be the team's highest-paid offensive player.

The Bills already had quarterback Jim Kelly as their highest-paid offensive player. They argued the clause violated the collective bargaining agreement. An arbiter said it did not. The Bills declined to match the offer sheet, and Wolford signed with the Colts to become their highest-paid offensive player.

After that decision, the league and the union amended the CBA. It now states that no team attempting to match an offer sheet for one of its transition players can be required by a Wolford-like clause to pay that player more than what the offering team would pay him. "
    I didn't forget that. But we structured the contract in a sneaky way to get around the amendment to the CBA. Technically, we aren't paying Hutchinson any more than the Seahawks would be paying him. But that whole guaranteed or not guaranteed thing, in the end, really does ensure that we won't.

I'm just saying I can understand why Holmgren (and others in the NFL) are annoyed with the Vikes for opening up this can of worms.

=Z=
    And I'm saying they have no one to blame but themselves.

Want to eliminate poison pills? Eliminate escallators and dead years in contracts. face it, most of them aren't ever going to be reached, and the fact that a team gets a cap rebate on them is...honestly...lame. It also blows the reported value of these contracts out of the water. Much like Burleson's REPORTED 49 million dollar deal over 7 years which is ACTUALLY a 14 million dollar deal over 4. In truth, it's worth less than half of it's reported value.

Go to guaranteed contracts like the NBA has and then count how many 5 year 50 million dollar deals there are out there.

in truth, it ALL rings quite hollow.

And, as I said before, Seattle has absolutely no room to talk. Back loading Burleson's contract with BS money, then slapping a guarantee trigger on it was no better (and in some ways WORSE) than what we did with Hutch. At least OUR contract will likely run the duration...Burleson's never will...and EVERYONE knows it.

So, what now? We decide we want Carson Palmer, write up a deal that offers 70 million over 6 years, with the 6th "mutually voidable" year worth 50 million, then require the entire amount be guaranteed if Carson wears a uniform with any orange in it? That's essentially what Seattle did. And they want to slam US?

Get over yourselves Seahawks. If you were truly so offended, why not take the high road? Because the TRUTH is the ONLY thing that upsets you is that you got HUMILIATED, so you're lashing out trying to make US the bad guys.

I really hope we crush them this season. Almost more than the Packers.

Caine

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

Caine..... you are on a roll...... I agree with every word you said.

Thanks Lotza!

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Wow, that had to be a really big hole in the ceiling. lol

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Del Rio Guest

What we did is bullshit, that is why the Comissioner is going to fix that loophole before he retires.

I can't blame the Seahawks for being bitter. I can't blame them for transition tagging him. Because they probably thought we love this guy, we don't want to offend him by roping him in so we will transition him. We will match any offer anyways. Then we pulled that shit, something no one expected. I can't blame the seahawks for not forseeing something that shady.

That's life though. There is always someone pushing the boundries and circumventing. They get away with it and the powers that be fix it so no one else can abuse it.

I don't blame the Vikings for doing it. I also don't blame the Seahawks for being upset. I think it was bullshit, and from what old Tags says he's not gonna stand for it in the future.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I agree. What we did was kind of shady and I totally understand the Seahawks' frustration.

That being said, as a Vikings fan I am glad we did it and that Hutch is on our team. I can't wait to see Taylor/MeMo running behind Hutch, Richardson and Jimmy K.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I can't lie. I think legally it was fair but I think we broke the spirit of the rule. So I can understand them being upset.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Holmgren need to quit his whining and move on.
    Was it within the rules? - yes else the Arbitration would have gone against
    the Vikings.
    Was against a 'gentlemens agreement' of the owners? - possibly but, as we have found in the past - rules are everything to most owners when it benefits them. So if the owners felt this was wrong then they should have a ruling in place to cover it

basically Seattle took the risk that no-one would pick up Hutchinson by trying to play it cheap. Face it guys you had your bluff called and lost out. Just accept what has happened and get on with things
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123