Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    "kyleo1967" wrote:
    I'm so sick of all the whining! The Vikes DID NOT put the pill in the contract. It was the mastemind of Hutch and his agent.
    That's a copout. Sure, his agent thought of it - but Bryzinskie (or however you spell that) had to agree to put it in there. WE offered the contract for him to sign, not the agent.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    Makes me wonder if a team like the Pittsburgh Steelers were first to do something like this if the media would would give it a slightly different approach. I can see it now....

    "The Pittsburgh Steelers cunningly pry all-pro Hutchinson from Seahawks. In a suprising and intelligent move by the Pittsburgh organization, ..........."

    Just a thought.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

  3. #13
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "kyleo1967" wrote:
    I'm so sick of all the whining! The Vikes DID NOT put the pill in the contract. It was the mastemind of Hutch and his agent.
    That's a copout. Sure, his agent thought of it - but Bryzinskie (or however you spell that) had to agree to put it in there. WE offered the contract for him to sign, not the agent.

    =Z=
    Actually, it isn't a copout at all.

    Seattle - particularly Holmgren - is pissed because they got blindsided by a possibility they didn't consider. That isn't "unfair", that's "strategy".

    When the Germans bypassed the Maginot line in favor of crossing the alps with armor (Which the French said couldn't be done), was that "unfair"? Nope. It was simply thinking outside of the box. It's only "unfair" because they didn't think of it first.

    In this case, the Seahawks applied the transition tag believing that any offers would be strictly monetary...allowing them the freedom to allow the market to set the price, and they simply had to ante up. When it didn't work out that way, they cried foul. Then, in a fit of spite, they returned the favor (in a rather ridiculous and childish manner).

    Holmgren likes to grandstand. He likes to point fingers and claim that everyone else is responsible for his failings. In the Hutch case, Seattle simply failed to properly account for how valuable Hutch was to them, tried to low-ball the deal, and got burned. How much you want to bet they don't make THAT mistake again?

    To me, Seattle's whining about the "poison pill" and taking shots at the Vikings over it is getting silly. How can a team which applied the SAME tactics now take the high road and claim to be victims? I don't know what they call it in Seattle, but here we call it "HYPOCRASY".

    So, to Mike and the Seattle Execs...thanks for Hutch and the 3rd rounder. We'll be sure and put them to good use.

    Caine

  4. #14
    FuadFan's Avatar
    FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,746

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "ThePurplePotato" wrote:
    "No one in their wildest dreams," said Holmgren, "thought that Minnesota would do something that no team had done in 12 years (under the collective bargaining agreement) because it's kind of unfair."


    Unfair? Boo hoo.
    To be fair - if some other team had been the first to do that to pry a transitional player away from the Vikes (say - Kevin Williams, as an example of an extremely valuable Vike), we'd be pretty pissed off.

    =Z=
    If we were to put a transitional tag on a player I hope we would continue to try and sign that guy as opposed to letting the market set his value. We had Koren under a similar situation and we decided to do the smart thing and lock him up before he hit free agency despite the fact we could match any offer. The Seahawks were offering him less per year then the tag was so he came to us got the money he deserved and Rob B. threw a poison pill in because it was legal and we were not going to try to make Seattle's contract for them.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

  5. #15
    FuadFan's Avatar
    FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,746

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    Great post Caine wow it blows the one I made out of the water.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

  6. #16
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    "NeoVikesTX" wrote:
    Makes me wonder if a team like the Pittsburgh Steelers were first to do something like this if the media would would give it a slightly different approach. I can see it now....

    "The Pittsburgh Steelers cunningly pry all-pro Hutchinson from Seahawks. In a suprising and intelligent move by the Pittsburgh organization, ..........."

    Just a thought.
    Apparently 13 years is long enough for 99.9% of the public to forget that Minnesota wasn't the first team to use a poison pill on a transition player.

    Story

    "The Indianapolis Colts signed Will Wolford, Buffalo's transition player, to an offer sheet that included a clause guaranteeing he be the team's highest-paid offensive player.

    The Bills already had quarterback Jim Kelly as their highest-paid offensive player. They argued the clause violated the collective bargaining agreement. An arbiter said it did not. The Bills declined to match the offer sheet, and Wolford signed with the Colts to become their highest-paid offensive player.

    After that decision, the league and the union amended the CBA. It now states that no team attempting to match an offer sheet for one of its transition players can be required by a Wolford-like clause to pay that player more than what the offering team would pay him. "
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #17
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    Screw Holmgren, and the Seagulls... I understand that the fans of the Seagulls are pissed off that their best offensive weapon is no longer with the team, but lets face it, they are pissed off at the wrong people.

    The fans, and Holmgren should be directing their anger straight at the Seagull's front office.. They are the ones that were stupid and didn't label him the franchise player.. If they would have put the franchise tag on him, this never would have happened.. Their loss, our gain...

  8. #18
    Lotza's Avatar
    Lotza is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    STFU HOLMGREN!

























    Go vikes!!

  9. #19
    viks_fan21's Avatar
    viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    644

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    If he's so disappointed, why do the same thing to us, only worse. If it's wrong of us, it's wrong of him.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    258

    Re: Hutch fiasco fries Holmgren

    Just blame the vacation. The d@mn vacation screwed everything up. Thank you vacation for giving us Hutchinson! I shall buy you a beer the next time I see you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mobile phone radiation fries sperm - study
    By COJOMAY in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
  2. Childress: The 12 men on the field fiasco
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM
  3. Robinson was fiasco waiting to happen
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 06:11 PM
  4. Texas Art Teacher Fiasco
    By PacNWVike in forum Two Beer Minimum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 06:09 AM
  5. Why did the Janet fiasco happen?
    By Viking_Spirit in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 11:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •