Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

How to Measure Team Age in the N.F.L.

What is the most useful way to measure the average age of an N.F.L. team? Calculating the average age of a 53-man roster takes you only so far because the age of a teamís starters is much more relevant than the age of a teamís reserves. The average age of a teamís starting lineup isnít perfect, either. The age of the quarterback and key offensive and defensive players should count for more than the age of a rotational starter. The best way to calculate a teamís functional average age is to place greater weight on the age of a teamís most relevant players. I used Pro-Football-Referenceís Approximate Value system to find the true age of the roster of every team in the league. I calculated team age by weighing each playerís age proportionately to his percentage of contribution (as measured by the Approximate Value system) to his team for each player and team in the 2009 season. The list, below:
    How to Measure Team Age in the N.F.L. and What It Means for 2010
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re:How to Measure Team Age in the N.F.L.

Marrdro wrote:
    What is the most useful way to measure the average age of an N.F.L. team? Calculating the average age of a 53-man roster takes you only so far because the age of a teamís starters is much more relevant than the age of a teamís reserves. The average age of a teamís starting lineup isnít perfect, either. The age of the quarterback and key offensive and defensive players should count for more than the age of a rotational starter. The best way to calculate a teamís functional average age is to place greater weight on the age of a teamís most relevant players. I used Pro-Football-Referenceís Approximate Value system to find the true age of the roster of every team in the league. I calculated team age by weighing each playerís age proportionately to his percentage of contribution (as measured by the Approximate Value system) to his team for each player and team in the 2009 season. The list, below:
    How to Measure Team Age in the N.F.L. and What It Means for 2010
    It's a worthless statistic anyway. Some have knowledge without wisdom, some are more athletic and don't make the transition to using their knowledge and appying their wisdom as they age. Some are dumbasses when they are young and dumbasses when they are old. Chronological age means nothing unless integrated into other factors that relate to effectiveness on the field.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Prophet wrote:
    It's a worthless statistic anyway. Some have knowledge without wisdom, some are more athletic and don't make the transition to using their knowledge and appying their wisdom as they age. Some are dumbasses when they are young and dumbasses when they are old. Chronological age means nothing unless integrated into other factors that relate to effectiveness on the field.
    I was going to say it wasn't entirely worthless, but as I look at it more, it pretty much is. Teams are pretty close in average age. What you really want to look at is a few individual players to see if your team is going to face a drop off soon. For example, if I'm the Colts, all I really care about is "how much longer will Peyton play?" This stat is the long way to get only an approximation of that.

I still find it somewhat interesting though and I appreciate the work the guy did to figure this out. And at least now I have a link when some Packers fan shows up barking about how they have the youngest team in the league.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Who cares how old a team is? All that truly matters is what have you done for me lately.
    We're bringing purple back.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Excellent read.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I am bored here at work waiting for my next class, so I actually got into this article and started looking around at the details. Found this:

Essentially, AV is a substitute for --- and a significant improvement upon, in my opinion --- metrics like "number of seasons as a starter" or "number of times making the pro bowl" or the like. You should think of it as being essentially like those two metrics, but with interpolation in between. That is, "number of seasons as a starter" is a reasonable starting point if you're trying to measure, say, how good a particular draft class is, or what kind of player you can expect to get with the #13 pick in the draft. But obviously some starters are better than others. Starters on good teams are, as a group, better than starters on bad teams. Starting WRs who had lots of receiving yards are, as a group, better than starting WRs who did not have many receiving yards. Starters who made the pro bowl are, as a group, better than starters who didn't, and so on. And non-starters aren't worthless, so they get some points too.
    Using something like this on the averages of a #13 pick and how their careers go would be an interesting thing to read up on. I wonder if the NFL teams would consider bringing something like that into their draft rooms.
    We're bringing purple back.