Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

How good are the Vikes?

[size=18px]How good are the Vikes?[/size]

Gary Giombetti
    The Daily Tribune

Sunday, August 06th, 2006 10:06:54 PM

HIBBING— I like to listen to a lot of sports talk radio. You could say I’m a sports-talk junkie

I especially like to listen to KFAN radio out of Minneapolis mainly because they talk about the state sports franchises.

With the NFL ready to begin, they’ve been discussing the Minnesota Vikings, and of course, the rest of the teams in the North Division.

As you all know, the Chicago Bears won the divisional title one year ago, and they’re expected to win it again this year.

From what I heard from various sports talk personalities on Friday, the Vikings shouldn’t play out their season. They have no chance to advance to the playoffs.

My question to some of these personalities would be this, “How do you know this so early in the season?”

One of those personalities is LaVelle E. Neal, who covers the Minnesota Twins for the Star Tribune. He’s from Chicago, so he’s a Bears fan. He’s automatically counting the Vikings out and giving the Bears the Super Bowl title in August.

The Bears had one of the stingiest defenses in the NFL last year, so that’s why he’s giving them high marks. But are the Bears going to play the same kind of defense this year? No one can say that this early into training camp.

Should the Bears be good again? Probably, but let the season play out to see if they can mirror what they did last year.

Neal was one of the people who is totally counting the Vikings out. He’s has them on a seven-win season. Again, how does he know this? What’s his reasoning for this?

Yes, we’re going to be led by Brad Johnson at quarterback, but at least Johnson has a Super Bowl ring on his finger. Does Rex Grossman have one? How about Kyle Orton? Brian Griese?

The answer to those questions is no, they don’t.

Who says Chester Taylor won’t break out and be one of the best running backs in the NFL this season. We do have question marks at our wide receiver spots, but our offensive line should be better.

The defensive line should be at full strength and our defensive backfield will be good, but once again, our linebacking corps will be put in the spotlight.

Neal said he likes the Detroit Lions’ chances with their new coaching staff. Were they a better hire than Brad Childress and company? The Lions have been a miserable franchise ever since Matt Millen became their general manager. How are they going to turn it around in one year?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not putting the Vikings on the fast track to the Super Bowl. I’ll be the last one to do that, but I’m going to wait and see what’s going to happen.

I’m not counting anyone out this early in the season.

How good are the Vikes?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: How good are the Vikes?

"singersp" wrote:

Gary Giombetti
    The Daily Tribune

...I’m not counting anyone out this early in the season.
    Sorry Gary, I am. Packers & Lions are out.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I haven't even heard the Vikes discussed on talk radio. I always hear the Steelers, Bengals, Cowboys, Colts etc....but never a WORD about the Vikes.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I haven't even heard the Vikes discussed on talk radio. I always hear the Steelers, Bengals, Cowboys, Colts etc....but never a WORD about the Vikes.
    That's the way it usually, and if you do hear something it's usually negative.

MplsViking is offline Starter

[quote="singersp"][size=18px]How good are the Vikes?[/size]
    The Bears had one of the stingiest defenses in the NFL last year, so that’s why he’s giving them high marks. But are the Bears going to play the same kind of defense this year? No one can say that this early into training camp.

Yeah they will, don't get me wrong I hope they don't, but they have all of their starters returning and they added ricky manning jr. which doesnt hurt.
    They will be top 3 again....luckily their offense will suck

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Gary Giombetti, you are the most honest sportswriter in the world! Good for you!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Gary Giombetti, you are the most honest sportswriter in the world! Good for you!
    Honest or clinically brain dead? He wrote a fluff article with nothing new to add to the discussion.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

One of those personalities is LaVelle E. Neal, who covers the Minnesota Twins for the Star Tribune. He’s from Chicago, so he’s a Bears fan. He’s automatically counting the Vikings out and giving the Bears the Super Bowl title in August.
    Lavelle writes about the Twins he says it in his article he doesn't write about football and he has a bit on PA & Dubay about the Bears because he is an admitted Bears fan and he doesn't look at it objectively and that is the bit.

Maybe the guy should listen closer and he would realize that it is a radio bit.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Gary Giombetti
    The Daily Tribune

How can you say that given the way we have seen rags-to-riches rises from the Rams, Panthers, Patriots & Bears over the past 10 seasons? No one thought the Rams would be anything until they happened upon a nobody QB from the University of Northern Iowa who turned out to be a stud.

I think Jon Kitna will shine in Detroit, and I hope the Vikings are able to counteract that with our new smash-mouth running attack.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Gary Giombetti
    The Daily Tribune

How can you say that given the way we have seen rags-to-riches rises from the Rams, Panthers, Patriots & Bears over the past 10 seasons? No one thought the Rams would be anything until they happened upon a nobody QB from the University of Northern Iowa who turned out to be a stud.

I think Jon Kitna will shine in Detroit, and I hope the Vikings are able to counteract that with our new smash-mouth running attack.

=Z=
    Easily. I like Kitna and think he is the best starting QB in the NFCN this year, however, I have faith that Millen's curse will remain on the team and the Packers are living in a crumbling kingdom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast