Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Hovan: 'I'm living a dream'

"SKOL" wrote:
    It's true that he didn't have decent coaching, but he excelled earlier in his career with no coaching, so that wasn't it.

He was always a high-energy guy, like John Randle, but all of a sudden, one offseason, he put on a lot of muscle. That's the same season he lost his "edge" and his "energy" too. Was it that he changed his style and tried overpowering people? That's my opinion.
    As I recall, he did change his style through a (judo) class & some outside coaching he was getting, but the coaching staff wouldn't allow him to use it & wanted him to do it "their way", which he did.

I posted an article on it about a year ago, but don't want to go searching for it right now.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Let's not forget about all the whining Hovan was doing and the crying (literally) about how he was giving it his all. Yet he sucked the last 2 years he was here, and only the last year was Cottrell the D coordinator.

He needed to go and I am glad the change of scenery has helped his career, but the best game he had last year was against us the 1st game of the season and the other games I seen him in last year he was nothing special. I will take Kevin and Phat Pat over Hovan any day of the frickin week!

2005 stats

Hovan:

45 total tackles
    35 solo
    10 assists
    0 sacks

Phat Pat:

66 Tackles
    41 solo
    25 assists
    1 1/2 sacks

Hovan overrated!
    Phat Pat da Bomb!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

coreyd is offline Coach

Hovan always had the intensity in him. It was the committment he lacked up here. Glad he is happy though.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I'm hoping the same thing can happen for Napolean Harris, maybe he kicks jiggly butt this year and gets reward a new contract. I don't know what happen to Hovan while he was here, but it looks like he's back to the beast he was his rookie and sophmore seasons. Good luck to him.
    Two words;

Coaching & Cotrell
    You can't blame coaching when the guy was getting clearly outplayed by Kevin Williams and Spencer Johnson. I don't know if he was playing in a scheme that wasn't suited to his abilities or what, but the guy couldn't shed blocks in his last couple years. It became an anomaly when he actually made a tackle.
    Well he's certainly doing fine now & he himself blamed it on the coaching.
    Who else would he blame, himself? The fact of the matter is our other DTs, and HIS replacements played well in the same system.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Hovan always sucked, fans here got to like him because he got in farves face. The guy sucked in Mn, he will suck in tampa. The quote people were affraid to say cotrell sucked because he was black was a little too much, he sucked because the owner refused to staff the team, he sucked because his boss tice sucked. He sucked because of lack of talent. He sucked because he forgot how to coach. Suck Suck Suck Suck.
    You republican whore!

Del Rio Guest

"slinkey" wrote:
    no doubt...too many people afraid to say Cotrell sucked because he was black
    I was calling for Cottrells head since O'Leary was fired. I am willing to bet at least as far as PPO goes I was the most outspoken on why I thought he sucked and I recieved many rebuttals and never once was anyone concerned that he was black.

The biggest argument anyone ever made for him was he was new. They said he needs a few years to turn it around. That's about as far as the argument could ever make it, even though I brought game evidence that he was putting our players in horrible positions, I even predicted a player uprising as a result.

All I am saying is I have been involved in the BAN COTTRELL campaign since day one and the race card was never played.

As far as Hovan goes he is an excellent Nose Tackle. He is good at what he does. Which is maintain gaps, hold the line, and open up tackling lanes for his linebackers. Minnesota fans expected John Randle numbers out of the guy. Somewhere between Johns departure and Hovan's departure fans got the idea that he was a number machine when in fact he has NEVER been.

He called Mike Tice on what he was, he stood up against a HORRIBLE coaching staff and was sent packing. When he left the same people who loved the IDEA of Hovan and were licking his taint decided he sucked. Well surprise surprise one of the best defensive teams in the entire NFL have embraced him and have extended his contract all the while praising him.

Does he fill the appetite of fans who focus on sacks and tackles? No. Does he know how to play football and play his position well? Yes indeed. Which is more important? Football is always more important then what armchair fans think.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    Well I guess good for him that he's happy, even though I don't really like the guy.
    You still like Sharper though, don't you? I noticed you changed your avatar.
    Yes of course I still like Sharper! He's still in my sig isn't he? Lotza made me that avatar and I thought it was pretty cool so I'm using it. :grin:
    Where is lotza? I havent seen that little guy in forever. haha
    He posted just yesterday or the day before, but he's been scarce.
    He's a baller...volleyball, that is...so he must be keeping busy between that and all those HOT female volleyball fans clamoring for his time! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

O'leary wasn't fired Del he excepted a college Head Coaching job.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by WBLVikeBabe
    Well I guess good for him that he's happy, even though I don't really like the guy.
    You still like Sharper though, don't you? I noticed you changed your avatar.
    Yes of course I still like Sharper! He's still in my sig isn't he? Lotza made me that avatar and I thought it was pretty cool so I'm using it. :grin:
    Where is lotza? I havent seen that little guy in forever. haha
    He posted just yesterday or the day before, but he's been scarce.
    He's a baller...volleyball, that is...so he must be keeping busy between that and all those HOT female volleyball fans clamoring for his time! :grin:
    I talked to him the other day. He said he's gonna start posting again once the season starts, he's just busy during the summer.

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    O'leary wasn't fired Del he excepted a college Head Coaching job.
    Your right Whack he left on his own accord.

So let me rephrase that "I have hated Cottrell since the day that he sucked and that day was somewhere between the Bills and the Jets"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast