Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Horn: NFL made `mockery' of Saints for playing at Meadowland

Horn: NFL made `mockery' of Saints for playing at Meadowlands
    ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Receiver Joe Horn criticized the NFL on Wednesday for forcing the Hurricane Katrina-displaced New Orleans Saints to play their home-opener at the Meadowlands.

"Man, let me tell you something, the Saints aren't going to be the first team that they made a mockery of, and we will not be the last team that they make a mockery of," Horn said in a conference call with Buffalo-area reporters.

Horn spoke as New Orleans (1-2) prepares to host Buffalo (1-2) on Sunday in what will be the Saints' first game at their new temporary home, San Antonio's Alamodome. The Saints will play three games at San Antonio and four other home games at LSU.

The Saints have been without a home since Hurricane Katrina flooded New Orleans and ruined the Superdome. After opening their season as scheduled on the road at Carolina, the NFL forced the team to play what was supposed to be its home-opener against the New York Giants at the Giants home field.

The Saints, who dressed in the Meadowlands visitors' locker room, lost to 27-10 to the Giants.

Horn was still bugged by what he considered the league's arbitrary decision.

"Believe that," Horn said. "Whether I'm in the NFL or in 10-15 years when I'm out of the NFL, no one's bigger than the NFL, and whoever the commissioner is he calls the shots, simple as that."

Horn is looking forward to Sunday's game, and impressed by the welcome the Saints have received in San Antonio.

"San Antonio has embraced us to another level," Horn said. "They honestly have and we appreciate it and we won't forget it."

Saints coach Jim Haslett called the NFL's decision unfair but distanced himself when informed of Horn's comments.

"Those are Joe's words," Haslett said.

He noted the game at the Meadowlands was part of the league's "Hurricane Relief Weekend" and helped the NFL raise $5 million for the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund.

"I think the NFL had all good intentions of raising money, and I thought they did a great job with the fundraiser," Haslett said. "But I don't think it was fair what they did to this football team, having us travel to a hostile city and play in that type of environment to win a game."

Haslett is looking forward to playing at the Alamodome.

"Hopefully, it's going to be 65,000," he said of the turnout. "I just know they probably won't be cheering for Buffalo, so at lease we won't have to deal with the crowd noise we've dealt with the last three weeks."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Horn: NFL made `mockery' of Saints for playing at Meadowland

"singersp" wrote:
    "Believe that," Horn said. "Whether I'm in the NFL or in 10-15 years when I'm out of the NFL, no one's bigger than the NFL, and whoever the commissioner is he calls the shots, simple as that."
    it is so true Horn. nothing is bigger than the NFL. if something tired to be, it would be crushed. example, the XFL.
    We're bringing purple back.

why did they even have the game in ny ? why not texas? i just don't get it

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    why did they even have the game in ny ? why not texas? i just don't get it
    What really p!sses me off is that the Giants & Eli (I'll pout til I get to play for the team I want) Manning get 9 home games. How fair is that?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

the giants are not going to make the playoffs anyways, and they probley would have won the game no matter where it was played. the saints are a bad football team no matter where they play.
    We're bringing purple back.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

They need to quit whining! They are looking so petty!

Their city is underwater, and they had to play the game somewhere. So it was in NY big deal, get over it and worry about the rest of your games.

The owner of the Saints agreed to this, so blame him!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Horn: NFL made `mockery' of Saints for playing at Meadow

I had posted a something similiar a week ago, good read.

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13995

Del Rio Guest

Re: Horn: NFL made `mockery' of Saints for playing at Meadow

It is an unfair advantage for the Giants. Every team in their division is pissed. I would be too.

They just can't talk about it because "the hurricaine" is a sensative subject. In the world of competitive sports though the NFL failed the Saints and the whole league IMO.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

It is an unfair advantage for the Giants. It doesn't do any good to bitch about it though. IMO, Joe Horn= dumbass

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

It was unfair, to the Saints, Cowboys, Skins, and the Eagles mainly, then secondarily it was unfair to the rest of the league. The game being played in NY was a quick fix(not much time), they didn't have the whole LSU and Alomo thing worked out yet. It probably had something to do with MONEY also, like paying to play somewhere (like a college stadium) and not getting concession moneys and stuff like that.

If McNabb falters with his injuries, the Giants could take that division.

I think the Giants would have won that game at home or on the road.

The Saints are not going to be able to sustain any momentum this season no matter where they play. Too much emotion and comotion, kinda like our season when Big K passed away, R.I.P.

The Saints were able to rally one win against the Panthers but it will be hard to sustain that. Horn is just beating a dead horse on a mute issue.

Sorry for not being more sensative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast