singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Hey, Commish: Make Teams Pay

[size=13pt]HEY, COMMISH: MAKE TEAMS PAY[/size]

NFL MUSTN'T PUNISH ONLY PLAYERS LIKE TANK

By [email protected]

June 26, 2007 -- YOU are NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and you are wholly sincere and defiantly adamant about cleaning up the league. Here is the best way to do it: Punish teams, not merely offending players....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Hey, Commish: Make Teams Pay

i dont know about punishing the teams so much, it would cause a stir in the locker room, i think the team should be able to decrease the amount of money they will receive based on what it is

but to take away a first round pick because of a player acting out? Please then you would have players like asaunte samuel going and getting arrested just because he wants the team to suffer because he didnt get his pay day.
    i like goodell's
    approach right now, make them sit and evaluate them through the season and maybe they can come back

Thanks josdin00

Re: Hey, Commish: Make Teams Pay

I agree with you tb. Sounds like a bad idea in my opinion for the reasons you stated plus: Teams are punished already because they cannot plan ahead for these situations. Remember Koren Robinson. I would say that the Vikings were punished as much as Koren, because they had to endure the season with average at best receivers because he screwed up right before the season opened. Another example is Ricky Williams. The Dolphins are still suffering from that one. The teams also suffer community relation problems due to bad judgement of players. Example: Love boat. I don't live in Minnesota, but it sure sounded to me like the Vikings felt the community outrage and were hurt in the stadium push.
    Another thing, if you punish the teams for a players issues, most teams would not give a player a second chance for fear that he might screw up, and screw them. Although Cris Carter wasnt arrested and for his problems, he was put on waivers, and later credited Buddy Ryan for shaking him up enough to change his life. What if the team would have been afraid to take a chance on him for fear of punishment from the league. I don't know about everyone else, but I am thankful that the vikings took a chance on him, and RandyMoss for that matter.