Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Hester plays hardball - Updated: Signs extension

[size=12pt]Hester plays hardball[/size]

Third-year star wants new deal, vows to sit out as camp opens

July 24, 2008

BY BRAD BIGGS [email protected]

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- With news of his absence from training camp blaring from a sports talk station in the background, Devin Hester said he's prepared to dig in for the long haul.

As in the entire 2008 season.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Hester plays hardball

i love his analogy he uses with the new girl friend and your mother, but if i was Urlacher/Clark/Harris i would be a little ticked off about that comment. Hester deserves more cash, but the players i named deserve it a little bit more

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

He just needs to get his ass in camp and show that he warrants the kindof money that a Top Flight WR warrants.

My guess is he will drop off the radar just like some cat named Hall did a few years back and everyone will be saying, "Hester Who"?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Contracts are a two way street in my opinion.
    In the case of Hester, when he was drafted he was unproven and had little other options so he was forced to have the team sign him for cheap because the team wouldn't pay for an unproven commodity(IE, the Bears got a great deal).
    If the team is fine with paying little for an over performing player that's just the way it goes, but if the player wants some more money they are the scum of the earth.
    Go figure.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I bet that girlfriend/mother comment was right from primetime's mouth. hester is not that smart and there is no way he could think of something so good.

also, the bears have to give him want he wants. they have no chance to move the ball without him and would have zero threats. rex would just get blitz all day long and throw pick after pick (kind of like what happens already)
    We're bringing purple back.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I think they should pay him.

"There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

hester definetly deserves more money, hes a game breaking player

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

I can feel for the kid. 2 years now he's proven he can do something that's helped the team WIN games.

he's put the team on his shoulders several times and carried that weight. now he's seeing kids come into the leage without touching a snap and getting the same money has him.. not cause they are elite.. cause he is still being paid. chump change compared to what he could be.

ok, i would still say he signed it. deal with it for now. but. by making your story clear now he would have a better foothold. by staying out of camp i thin he hurts himself as much as hurting the team. does he deserve the extention.. yes. will he get it/.
    probably not asmuch as he could if he made it look like they were the bad guys, instead of looking like the selfish pro who wants more.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I hear all of you that think he needs to be paid for what he's done, however, he has been paid for what he's done.

The issue at hand is getting paid for what he is going to do.

Guys like Hester just don't last long in this league when it comes to production in the return game.
    If and its a big if, he can morph into a top tier WR then he should get paid WR money.
    The problem is that he hasn't shown anything but a few flashes that he can do that.

Again, he should come in and play out this year, prove he has the talent to be a top flight WR and then he will get his money.
    Until then I am with the Bores FO on this one.
    I wouldn't waste a dime extending his contract this early without a bit more evidence he isn't anything more than a guy like the cat we saw lighting it up for KC.

Again, whats his name...."Hall" or something like that. What is he up to that last year or so? ;D ;D ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I hear all of you that think he needs to be paid for what he's done, however, he has been paid for what he's done.

The issue at hand is getting paid for what he is going to do.

Guys like Hester just don't last long in this league when it comes to production in the return game.
    If and its a big if, he can morph into a top tier WR then he should get paid WR money.
    The problem is that he hasn't shown anything but a few flashes that he can do that.

Again, he should come in and play out this year, prove he has the talent to be a top flight WR and then he will get his money.
    Until then I am with the Bores FO on this one.
    I wouldn't waste a dime extending his contract this early without a bit more evidence he isn't anything more than a guy like the cat we saw lighting it up for KC.

Again, whats his name...."Hall" or something like that. What is he up to that last year or so? ;D ;D ;D
    Hall did that later in his career though, Hester is very young and still has many years before he slows down.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast