Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=43723.msg751124#msg751124 date=1207062599]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43723.msg751114#msg751114 date=1207061212]
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=43723.msg751111#msg751111 date=1207060944]
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=43723.msg751094#msg751094 date=1207058313]
    New Yankee stadium looks damn nice:

    http://www.forbes.com/video/?video=fvn/sports/tvr_yankeecoo033108&partner=videoslide_yankeestadi um

    There are few things worse than sitting inside and watching a baseball game.
    That's coming from a guy that has watched the Twinkies win the WS in the dome.
    Baseball is meant to be played outside.
    Yeah I bet that game yesterday would have been way better outside.
    Actually, I think yesterday would have been a blast if it was outdoors.
    It wasn't really that cold out...could have worn a parka and been fine.
    Would have been a great game to tailgate for as long as you dressed appropriately.
    Wouldn't want to show up in a t-shirt.
    It was snowing, they would have had to reschedule, which is a disadvantage. But atleast it is at the beginning of the season so they have all year to make it up, unlike the playoffs in October that will really screw up some travel plans.
    Even the cancelation of a playoff game wouldn't be too severe.
    Plus, the likelyhood of that happening is pretty rare.
    We don't see hardly any snow in October.
    If somebody is too pussy to attend a chilly playoff game, I'll take their ticket.
    Baseball is meant to be played outdoors.
    After attending several outdoor baseball venues last year throughout the country, the metrodome will NEVER be the same.
    It's meant to be played out doors in warm weather climates, not Minnesota from April to November. I'm guessing the twins will be right up their with the top teams for most post-poned and cancelled games. If 2007 would have been played out doors I know they would have missed several games, and there would have been several others that would have had rain delays. When games do get skipped usually they are made up in a double header later in the season which is a disadvantage because they will end up playing 6 games in 5 days and need to go to the 6th man in the rotation more often.
    I'm stoked about the new stadium but a retractable roof makes a lot more sense.
    [/quote]

    Bleh, a retractable roof would just eat up a lot more public tax dollars...and therefore we probably wouldn't have a new stadium to even discuss.
    I don't really care about the few postponed games, doubleheaders are exciting to watch, even though they aren't technically a doubleheader if madeup due to postponments.

    Most of the northern and eastern teams have open roof stadiums and they all experience very similar weather to us.
    We see very little snowfall in April (poor timing for my argument
    ;D ) and October so again, if there is going to be any delays it's typically going to be rain related and every MLB market experiences that.
    Not to mention, just because it's raining doesn't mean they cancel the game...it has to be a farily considerable amount of constant rain.
    A little rain wouldn't hurt most fans as they'd be mostly covered by overhangs and seating.
    [/quote]
    The argument was made on KFAN today about what happens if the twins are in the world series in late Octobober and we get another snowstorm/early winter like we did a few years ago. If the weather stays cold(ground frozen/snow) likely the twins would be forced to play there home games at the away stadium. I bet if that happens all the outdoor crowd is going to be a little peeved. Probably will never happen, but it certainly is a possibility.
    [/quote]

    The turf of stadiums is kept covered in times like this and therefore would not freeze without prolonged exposure to the elements...so this KFAN argument is invalid.
    The odds of this ever happening, much less in our lifetime are so low it's near impossible...
    [/quote]
    Still, your argument that baseball should be played outdoors is true, but no more than my argument that baseball should be played in warm weather. Unfortunetly in Minnesota you can't have both. Even if it isn't snowing during the playoffs, most playoff games are night time games so they will regularly be in the 30's and 40's. I'd sit through a football game if it was 20 below, but I'm not going to sit for a 4 hour baseball game when it is in the 30's or 40's, i'm sure a lot of others will skip those games as well.

  2. #22
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    The turf of stadiums is kept covered in times like this and therefore would not freeze without prolonged exposure to the elements...so this KFAN argument is invalid.
    The odds of this ever happening, much less in our lifetime are so low it's near impossible...
    Oh, come on, BH!
    You say the odds are "so low it's near impossible"?

    Mainly because the Twins aren't likely to get into the playoffs any time soon, not that it won't snow in October or November!
    No joke that is one of the main reasons!

    Also though, I was debating the fact that the ground would become so frozen they wouldn't be able to play their playoff games in MN (According to a KFAN argument jmdono brought up) It may snow in Early October, but to get cold enough, for a long enough period of time to actually freeze the ground to an unplayable state is crazy talk.
    Not going to happen.
    Like I said up above, I saw the Twins director of stadium operations on the 10pm news last night.
    He was talking about how the new field will have heating elements in the outfield (curiously, he did not mentione the infield), as well as modern drainage and all that hoo-ha.

    But he did say yesterday's game would have been postponed.

    =Z=
    Postponed is one thing, but temporarily relocating the team to play their home games is an entirely different matter.

    My guess is they just continue on with the schedule and add a final playoff game to replace the postponed one...no big deal unless your saying the team can't play at home.


    The field would be kept covered in situations like that...As horendous as the forcasters can be, they should be able to identify a blizzard on the way and cover up the field.
    I just don't see the field turf becoming so frozen you can't play ball on it.
    Not going to happen.

  3. #23
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43723.msg751153#msg751153 date=1207066094]
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=43723.msg751124#msg751124 date=1207062599]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=43723.msg751114#msg751114 date=1207061212]
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=43723.msg751111#msg751111 date=1207060944]
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=43723.msg751094#msg751094 date=1207058313]
    New Yankee stadium looks damn nice:

    http://www.forbes.com/video/?video=fvn/sports/tvr_yankeecoo033108&partner=videoslide_yankeestadi um

    There are few things worse than sitting inside and watching a baseball game.
    That's coming from a guy that has watched the Twinkies win the WS in the dome.
    Baseball is meant to be played outside.
    Yeah I bet that game yesterday would have been way better outside.
    Actually, I think yesterday would have been a blast if it was outdoors.
    It wasn't really that cold out...could have worn a parka and been fine.
    Would have been a great game to tailgate for as long as you dressed appropriately.
    Wouldn't want to show up in a t-shirt.
    It was snowing, they would have had to reschedule, which is a disadvantage. But atleast it is at the beginning of the season so they have all year to make it up, unlike the playoffs in October that will really screw up some travel plans.
    Even the cancelation of a playoff game wouldn't be too severe.
    Plus, the likelyhood of that happening is pretty rare.
    We don't see hardly any snow in October.
    If somebody is too pussy to attend a chilly playoff game, I'll take their ticket.
    Baseball is meant to be played outdoors.
    After attending several outdoor baseball venues last year throughout the country, the metrodome will NEVER be the same.
    It's meant to be played out doors in warm weather climates, not Minnesota from April to November. I'm guessing the twins will be right up their with the top teams for most post-poned and cancelled games. If 2007 would have been played out doors I know they would have missed several games, and there would have been several others that would have had rain delays. When games do get skipped usually they are made up in a double header later in the season which is a disadvantage because they will end up playing 6 games in 5 days and need to go to the 6th man in the rotation more often.
    I'm stoked about the new stadium but a retractable roof makes a lot more sense.
    [/quote]

    Bleh, a retractable roof would just eat up a lot more public tax dollars...and therefore we probably wouldn't have a new stadium to even discuss.
    I don't really care about the few postponed games, doubleheaders are exciting to watch, even though they aren't technically a doubleheader if madeup due to postponments.

    Most of the northern and eastern teams have open roof stadiums and they all experience very similar weather to us.
    We see very little snowfall in April (poor timing for my argument
    ;D ) and October so again, if there is going to be any delays it's typically going to be rain related and every MLB market experiences that.
    Not to mention, just because it's raining doesn't mean they cancel the game...it has to be a farily considerable amount of constant rain.
    A little rain wouldn't hurt most fans as they'd be mostly covered by overhangs and seating.
    [/quote]
    The argument was made on KFAN today about what happens if the twins are in the world series in late Octobober and we get another snowstorm/early winter like we did a few years ago. If the weather stays cold(ground frozen/snow) likely the twins would be forced to play there home games at the away stadium. I bet if that happens all the outdoor crowd is going to be a little peeved. Probably will never happen, but it certainly is a possibility.
    [/quote]

    The turf of stadiums is kept covered in times like this and therefore would not freeze without prolonged exposure to the elements...so this KFAN argument is invalid.
    The odds of this ever happening, much less in our lifetime are so low it's near impossible...
    [/quote]
    Still, your argument that baseball should be played outdoors is true, but no more than my argument that baseball should be played in warm weather. Unfortunetly in Minnesota you can't have both. Even if it isn't snowing during the playoffs, most playoff games are night time games so they will regularly be in the 30's and 40's. I'd sit through a football game if it was 20 below, but I'm not going to sit for a 4 hour baseball game when it is in the 30's or 40's, i'm sure a lot of others will skip those games as well.
    [/quote]

    Dude!, are you serious?
    You make it sound like we play baseball in January/February!
    Baseball season runs from April through September....hardly cold months of the year.
    With the exception of the first two weeks in April, and the last two in October...You ARE going to have warm and outdoors together, in the state of Minensota.


    I can't believe the amount of attention a handful of rain delays gets around here?
    Ask the rest of the country about it?
    Many ballparks are in snow territory.
    Are their fans crying about it?
    Or enjoying great outdoor baseball?
    I bet you will never even be directly affected by it...
    Think about how many games you go to in a year, and the percentage that get canceled due to weather...
    Not very probably and certainly not even worth concerning yourself over.
    Enjoy the new ballpark.

    Also, I doubt many people are going to miss a playoff game because it is in the 30's or 40's...Maybe the away fans, but not the Minnesotans.
    Hell thats not even cold!
    I don't even wear a winter coat when it's in the 30's and 40's.

  4. #24
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I can't believe the amount of attention a handful of rain delays gets around here?
    Ask the rest of the country about it?
    Many ballparks are in snow territory.
    Are their fans crying about it?
    Or enjoying great outdoor baseball?
    I bet you will never even be directly affected by it...
    Think about how many games you go to in a year, and the percentage that get canceled due to weather...
    Not very probably and certainly not even worth concerning yourself over.
    Enjoy the new ballpark.

    Also, I doubt many people are going to miss a playoff game because it is in the 30's or 40's...Maybe the away fans, but not the Minnesotans.
    Hell thats not even cold!
    I don't even wear a winter coat when it's in the 30's and 40's.
    Thing is, BH, you're talking about rain/snow/cold delays during very high-profile times of the season for baseball:
    Opening Day and the first couple weeks (when it's much easier to make up the games) and the final playoff push and the playoffs.

    If a playoff game were to get snowed out in, say, an ALCS in late October (not at ALL unrealistic - hell, you don't need snow - you just need 40 degrees and freezing rain) that's a huge damn deal, because there isn't a lot of wiggle room.

    That's why it's a big deal.
    No one gives a shit if there's a rainout in June or July - just 1 of 81 home games.
    But on the front and especially back-ends of the season, the impact is much greater.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #25
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I can't believe the amount of attention a handful of rain delays gets around here?
    Ask the rest of the country about it?
    Many ballparks are in snow territory.
    Are their fans crying about it?
    Or enjoying great outdoor baseball?
    I bet you will never even be directly affected by it...
    Think about how many games you go to in a year, and the percentage that get canceled due to weather...
    Not very probably and certainly not even worth concerning yourself over.
    Enjoy the new ballpark.

    Also, I doubt many people are going to miss a playoff game because it is in the 30's or 40's...Maybe the away fans, but not the Minnesotans.
    Hell thats not even cold!
    I don't even wear a winter coat when it's in the 30's and 40's.
    Thing is, BH, you're talking about rain/snow/cold delays during very high-profile times of the season for baseball:
    Opening Day and the first couple weeks (when it's much easier to make up the games) and the final playoff push and the playoffs.

    If a playoff game were to get snowed out in, say, an ALCS in late October (not at ALL unrealistic - hell, you don't need snow - you just need 40 degrees and freezing rain) that's a huge damn deal, because there isn't a lot of wiggle room.

    That's why it's a big deal.
    No one gives a shit if there's a rainout in June or July - just 1 of 81 home games.
    But on the front and especially back-ends of the season, the impact is much greater.

    =Z=
    We used to play outdoors at the Met and averaged only 4 postponements a season for all the years we played there.
    This new stadium is being designed with a state of the art drainage system so we will likely never see a cancelation or rain delay due to a wet field...only if it is coming down to hard to actually partake in the game itself.

    Back to the drawing board boys.
    ;D

  6. #26
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I can't believe the amount of attention a handful of rain delays gets around here?
    Ask the rest of the country about it?
    Many ballparks are in snow territory.
    Are their fans crying about it?
    Or enjoying great outdoor baseball?
    I bet you will never even be directly affected by it...
    Think about how many games you go to in a year, and the percentage that get canceled due to weather...
    Not very probably and certainly not even worth concerning yourself over.
    Enjoy the new ballpark.

    Also, I doubt many people are going to miss a playoff game because it is in the 30's or 40's...Maybe the away fans, but not the Minnesotans.
    Hell thats not even cold!
    I don't even wear a winter coat when it's in the 30's and 40's.
    Thing is, BH, you're talking about rain/snow/cold delays during very high-profile times of the season for baseball:
    Opening Day and the first couple weeks (when it's much easier to make up the games) and the final playoff push and the playoffs.

    If a playoff game were to get snowed out in, say, an ALCS in late October (not at ALL unrealistic - hell, you don't need snow - you just need 40 degrees and freezing rain) that's a huge damn deal, because there isn't a lot of wiggle room.

    That's why it's a big deal.
    No one gives a shit if there's a rainout in June or July - just 1 of 81 home games.
    But on the front and especially back-ends of the season, the impact is much greater.

    =Z=
    We used to play outdoors at the Met and averaged only 4 postponements a season for all the years we played there.
    This new stadium is being designed with a state of the art drainage system so we will likely never see a cancelation or rain delay due to a wet field...only if it is coming down to hard to actually partake in the game itself.

    Back to the drawing board boys.

    ;D
    I would think people in MN would want nothing but an outdoor stadium for baseball.
    Shitty climate and spend way too much time indoors already.
    Who wants to spend a beautiful summer day when you're not working watching a baseball game inside?
    I know I don't.
    Baseball should be played outdoors.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  7. #27
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I can't believe the amount of attention a handful of rain delays gets around here?
    Ask the rest of the country about it?
    Many ballparks are in snow territory.
    Are their fans crying about it?
    Or enjoying great outdoor baseball?
    I bet you will never even be directly affected by it...
    Think about how many games you go to in a year, and the percentage that get canceled due to weather...
    Not very probably and certainly not even worth concerning yourself over.
    Enjoy the new ballpark.

    Also, I doubt many people are going to miss a playoff game because it is in the 30's or 40's...Maybe the away fans, but not the Minnesotans.
    Hell thats not even cold!
    I don't even wear a winter coat when it's in the 30's and 40's.
    Thing is, BH, you're talking about rain/snow/cold delays during very high-profile times of the season for baseball:
    Opening Day and the first couple weeks (when it's much easier to make up the games) and the final playoff push and the playoffs.

    If a playoff game were to get snowed out in, say, an ALCS in late October (not at ALL unrealistic - hell, you don't need snow - you just need 40 degrees and freezing rain) that's a huge damn deal, because there isn't a lot of wiggle room.

    That's why it's a big deal.
    No one gives a shit if there's a rainout in June or July - just 1 of 81 home games.
    But on the front and especially back-ends of the season, the impact is much greater.

    =Z=
    We used to play outdoors at the Met and averaged only 4 postponements a season for all the years we played there.
    This new stadium is being designed with a state of the art drainage system so we will likely never see a cancelation or rain delay due to a wet field...only if it is coming down to hard to actually partake in the game itself.

    Back to the drawing board boys.

    ;D
    I would think people in MN would want nothing but an outdoor stadium for baseball.
    Shitty climate and spend way too much time indoors already.
    Who wants to spend a beautiful summer day when you're not working watching a baseball game inside?
    I know I don't.
    Baseball should be played outdoors.
    Agreed...
    I can't even believe there is a debate circling this issue.
    We are worried about 4 games being postponed?
    Please...
    I don't go to many games, so this situation is ideal for me...On beutiful summer afternoons I'll just head over to the ballpark after work to pickup a game after some brews at the local pub.


    I am looking forward more to the new Twins stadium than the Vikings.
    I enjoy watching football in the dome, I like the atmosphere.
    Watching baseball in the dome blows donkey balls...The only thing I enjoy is seeing the players perform in front of me... Watching professional sports live is meant to be so much more than that though.

  8. #28
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,467

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I am looking forward more to the new Twins stadium than the Vikings.
    I enjoy watching football in the dome, I like the atmosphere.
    Watching baseball in the dome blows donkey balls...The only thing I enjoy is seeing the players perform in front of me... Watching professional sports live is meant to be so much more than that though.
    Aww... that makes me homesick.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  9. #29
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I am looking forward more to the new Twins stadium than the Vikings.
    I enjoy watching football in the dome, I like the atmosphere.
    Watching baseball in the dome blows donkey balls...The only thing I enjoy is seeing the players perform in front of me... Watching professional sports live is meant to be so much more than that though.
    Aww... that makes me homesick.
    I didn't know you were from Wisconsin C Mac!?

  10. #30
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Here Come The Super-Stadiums

    "C" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I am looking forward more to the new Twins stadium than the Vikings.
    I enjoy watching football in the dome, I like the atmosphere.
    Watching baseball in the dome blows donkey balls...The only thing I enjoy is seeing the players perform in front of me... Watching professional sports live is meant to be so much more than that though.
    Aww... that makes me homesick.
    What? you blow monkey ball at home?! I'm confused

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stadiums
    By footballff in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 09:37 AM
  2. What other NFL stadiums have you been to?
    By Garland Greene in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 07:49 PM
  3. Stadiums/Ballparks to which you've been
    By Zeus in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 11:46 PM
  4. NFL Stadiums
    By DemonicViking in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-31-2005, 07:15 PM
  5. TOP 5 NFL STADIUMS!!!!
    By Timbo2st in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •