Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Re: The Height of Hypocrisy?

LT

I completely agree with you on this one!
    I have always viewed this issue between players and teams kind of interesting.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

This hits it right on the head. It's stupid to be so rigid in terms of punishing celebration.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

As long as you are not taunting the other team and are clearly celebrating out of jubilation, then I don't see why you can't do anything as long as it takes less than 15 seconds.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    As long as you are not taunting the other team and are clearly celebrating out of jubilation, then I don't see why you can't do anything as long as it takes less than 15 seconds.
    I have always thought that rules along those lines would be the best way to go. I would be OK too if they banned any props, but generally be more relaxed about it.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Think Ltrey has it spot on here... certain things aren't allowed in the 'No Fun League' unless there is a clear image and moneymaking aspect to them.
    Definitely a case of double standards !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I've always been an anti-celebration guy.
    Personally, I think it detracts from the "professionalism" of the players, teams, and League in general.
    Especially when I see players celebrating EVERYTHING now.

Got a 1st down?
    Do the "moving forward" thingie that CC used to do here.
    Got a sack?
    Do some sort of shoulder shimmie with a wide stance waddle.
    Stopped a running play?
    Thump your chest a few times and point at the ground (line in the sand).
    Broke up a pass play?
    Thump your chest a few times and start motioning the "Incomplete" gesture.

Score a TD?
    Well, the shy is the limit, but make sure you include some form of wiggly-jiggly dance that will look completely stupid on film....for all time.
    If you're a planner, involve several team mates in a group wiggle-shimmy...nothing like seeing a group of idiots have siezures in the end zone to say "These are professional athletes".

Or, best of all, jump into the stands.
    That was cool about 10 years ago, the first couple of times it was done.
    Maybe it's time to start something new?
    How about jumping over the railing, run up the steps, and high-5 someone in the appropriately colored team jersey in the uppermost row?
    Then, slam a beer on your way back, trip on an empty popcorn bag, and fall back down the stairs ala Chevy Chase from SNL.

Now, there are times where celebration is warranted, but when players begin celebrating things that are occuring numerous times, it gets old.

For example.
    When we were potty-training our twin daughters, we would "celebrate" every time they made it to the toilet and kept their diapers/undies clean.
    Now that they're 8 years old and have been able to perform that operation accident free for about 6 years, there are no more celebrations.
    Nor do the twins announce their successful use of the bathroom facilities to us anymore.

Now, some will argue that it fires up the team or the fans.
    Maybe.
    But, honestly, if the play itself isn't firing you up, and you need that extra celebration to get your motor running, then there's something seriously wrong.
    A crushing hit gets me fired up every time.
    So does a sack, a touchdown, or any number of successful plays.
    Lately, a completed pass is all it takes.

But the celebrations are a bit much, in my opinion.
    Unless you've just won the NFC Championship game, the Superbowl, or some other significant event....then you've got a reason.

Caine

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"Caine" wrote:
    I've always been an anti-celebration guy.
    Personally, I think it detracts from the "professionalism" of the players, teams, and League in general.
    Especially when I see players celebrating EVERYTHING now.

Got a 1st down?
    Do the "moving forward" thingie that CC used to do here.
    Got a sack?
    Do some sort of shoulder shimmie with a wide stance waddle.
    Stopped a running play?
    Thump your chest a few times and point at the ground (line in the sand).
    Broke up a pass play?
    Thump your chest a few times and start motioning the "Incomplete" gesture.

Score a TD?
    Well, the shy is the limit, but make sure you include some form of wiggly-jiggly dance that will look completely stupid on film....for all time.
    If you're a planner, involve several team mates in a group wiggle-shimmy...nothing like seeing a group of idiots have siezures in the end zone to say "These are professional athletes".

Or, best of all, jump into the stands.
    That was cool about 10 years ago, the first couple of times it was done.
    Maybe it's time to start something new?
    How about jumping over the railing, run up the steps, and high-5 someone in the appropriately colored team jersey in the uppermost row?
    Then, slam a beer on your way back, trip on an empty popcorn bag, and fall back down the stairs ala Chevy Chase from SNL.

Now, there are times where celebration is warranted, but when players begin celebrating things that are occuring numerous times, it gets old.

For example.
    When we were potty-training our twin daughters, we would "celebrate" every time they made it to the toilet and kept their diapers/undies clean.
    Now that they're 8 years old and have been able to perform that operation accident free for about 6 years, there are no more celebrations.
    Nor do the twins announce their successful use of the bathroom facilities to us anymore.

Now, some will argue that it fires up the team or the fans.
    Maybe.
    But, honestly, if the play itself isn't firing you up, and you need that extra celebration to get your motor running, then there's something seriously wrong.
    A crushing hit gets me fired up every time.
    So does a sack, a touchdown, or any number of successful plays.
    Lately, a completed pass is all it takes.

But the celebrations are a bit much, in my opinion.
    Unless you've just won the NFC Championship game, the Superbowl, or some other significant event....then you've got a reason.

Caine
    Since our offense has shit the bed so many times in the past couple years, is it OK for the Vikings to celebrate big first downs and TD's?
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

There are 2 types of celebrations IMO:
    1.Used to take out the pressure of the game or a frustation debt of bad luck of the performer during the match.Fury and rage.
    2.The opposite one,the individual is making a good game or his team is winning the game by far,Terrel Owens comes to my mind like an example...

I like both types of celeb. except the cases the 2. could turno into a joke to the other team or supporters(The Moss´ pants down celeb.in Green Bay
    is not included
    ;D)

I d like to end this post with some images of a Robby Fowler´(former player of Liverpool) celeb. who was fined with 65.000 $ and 6 game suspension for doing this....

[youtube=425,350]czc5vKu5wqg[/youtube]

El underdog.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"El" wrote:

I d like to end this post with some images of a Robby Fowler´(former player of Liverpool) celeb. who was fined with 65.000 $ and 6 game suspension for doing this....

[youtube=425,350]czc5vKu5wqg[/youtube]
    The impression I was left with is that Fowler is a coke-head. What kind of impression does that leave in the minds of Englands youth?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

"singersp" wrote:

Huh? No it isn't legal. He is using the camera as a prop & that will draw a fine.
    I guess we'll find out. My bet is that it is legal, like TO and the pom-poms.

Go Vikings!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast