RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

He does have a point.

WWBGD

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:He does have a point.

RK. wrote:
    1: It was the English themselves who coined the term "Soccer"...they only blame us for it.

2: I'm not sure how a whole bunch of guys standing on a field waiting for someone to kick a ball in their direction is "creative" or "Artistic"...I see it more as "dull" or "boring".

3: We already have sports trafficking in boredom...Baseball is typically 30 seconds of excitement jammed into 3 hours of monotony. Hockey also tends to be low scoring but high action - wonder why the English suck at it so badly? It's not like they'd worry about having their teeth knocked out...

4: The rest of the world hasn't followed us with REAL football because:
    A: It's expensive to play.
    B: It favors big, strong players.
    C: You can't simply run willy-nilly about a field kicking at a ball.

5: Soccer still sucks.

Caine

It's amazing that a humorous skit like this, by Jon Cleese out of all people, gets such a serious reaction.

I'll play along, though.

Caine wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that Western Europe has that one covered. There are football teams over here. People can easily afford a football kit.

You'll be surprised to hear that there are big, strong people outside of the US, as well.

Anyone who actually played with a team knows that soccer is a whole lot more than just running around a field, as well. Soccer's a lot deeper than most people think. Same goes for Europeans when talking about Am. football. There's more to it than you can see at first glance.

I don't even know why it's always or football or futbol.

Anyway, funny stuff.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Soccer is so boring and if you want to make it better shorten the field and widen the nets.

I am 48 - when I was 18 my best friend (RIP Joe) was a fantastic soccer player (striker) he played for the Minnesota All-star Select team. He got a scholarship for soccer which there were not many available back then.

He used to tell me that soccer would be more popular then football within ten years! Infact we made a bet about it around 1981. He was killed before I could collect but I don't see soccer being more popular than football 10 years from now.

And for the people that will say more kids play soccer than football! Give it a break - nowadays parents are afraid to let their kids do anything - especially play football.

Maybe someday it might be number 1 in the US but it will take a few decades before soccer approaches the popularity of the NFL.

To go back to the original thought - soccer is boring take it from somebody that has watched it for 35 years.

And what is with the 90 minute running time - the ref just adds a few extra minutes at his whim! What the hell is that?

Reminds me of the Olympic Basketball game when the USA team beat the Russian team and an Olympic official came out of the stands and told the ref to play longer and the USA team ended up being robbed of a Gold Medal.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

more kids play soccer than football for a reason: Anybody can play soccer. It takes a certain kind of athlete to play football.

When you turn 3, there's the option to play soccer. Its cheap, and its a way for the kids to just go run around and have fun. Most of the kids have no clue how to play soccer, and are content just kicking the ball and picking dandilions.

Once you hit the High School Age, Soccer takes backseat to most sports like Baseball, Hockey and Football.

There's a reason for that, kids have jobs/money, and would rather play real sports.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

RK. wrote:
    lmao, funny and true.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Rockmolder wrote:
    It's amazing that a humorous skit like this, by Jon Cleese out of all people, gets such a serious reaction.

I'll play along, though.

Caine wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that Western Europe has that one covered. There are football teams over here. People can easily afford a football kit.

You'll be surprised to hear that there are big, strong people outside of the US, as well.

Anyone who actually played with a team knows that soccer is a whole lot more than just running around a field, as well. Soccer's a lot deeper than most people think. Same goes for Europeans when talking about Am. football. There's more to it than you can see at first glance.

I don't even know why it's always or football or futbol.

Anyway, funny stuff.
    My "reaction" was done in the same "spirit" as John Cleese's original "skit"...I simply responded without the benefiot of video/audio cues, so the sarcasm had to be implied.

That said, the vast majority of Americans at THIS point don't much care about soccer...and the idea that people merely run willy-nilly about the field randomly kicking at the ball - should it miraculously come their way - is likely held by the majority of adult Americans...

...much like we don't know - or care to know - the actual rules (or even the POINT) behind the game "Cricket"...and no amount of English teasing is going to compel us to learn.

At the end of the day, we are happy with OUR version of Football. Sure, it's less independent than soccer...but when you have all day, standing in the field, waiting for the ball to come your way, it's easy to appear "creative"...

:P

And...as always...soccer still sucks.

Caine

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Points Cleese made about the attention span, intelligence required, and commercial breaks are dead on.

Football is a game of 7 to 11 seconds of action. What he doesn't take into consideration is every 45 seconds or less there is REAL action. The only real action in a soccer game is when they take a shot at goal which on average happens maybe once every 8-10ish minutes.

I would say the avg soccer player is smarter than a football player. No real data on this but it seems logical to me.

Commercial breaks pay for the game and the players. Avg salary of a MLS player around $100K (rookie makes about $35K). Avg NFL player $770K, rookie minimum $350,000. I imagine the US would dominate Soccer if the salarys were switched.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

What does the other countries call American Football?

I lived in Australia for awhile and they refer to it as "Gridiron". The first time someone asked me if I follow "Gridiron" I thought they were talking about a rock band. Cracked me up to find out it was NFL football. I sort of like it now.

They also think Rugby is more of a man's sport because they don't wear pads. I said show me a 380lb Rugby player hitting a 200lb player at full speed below the waist (not allowed to tackle below the waist in Rugby) and I'll agree that it's a tougher sport.

As for Cricket, I do know the rules and watched many a game. I consider it the greatest sport in the world to watch while your doing something else. It takes about 3 to 5 minutes between balls (pitches) while they show replays during that time. Also thier international matches called "test" matches (one game) last about a week. With each day's play including a lunch and afternoon tea break. They do adjust the rules to create much shorter versions that limit it to about 3 hrs for lower level play.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]