Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Have at It: The NFC North's next ROY

2010 NFC North ROY candidates
    Name Position Team
    Corey Wootton DE Chicago
    Major Wright S Chicago
    Jahvid Best RB Detroit
    Ndamukong Suh DT Detroit
    Morgan Burnett S Green Bay
    James Starks RB Green Bay
    Chris Cook CB Minnesota
    Toby Gerhart RB Minnesota
    Have at It: The NFC North's next ROY
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:Have at It: The NFC North's next ROY

None of the guys the Vikes drafted have a very good chance this year for the ROY award. There are different ones, and offensive and defensive, but I don't like any of the guys' chances.

Gerhart will get playing time, but even if he's great he might get 150 touches. Lets optimistically say he turns that into 750 yards or thereabouts and 10 touchdowns. I don't think that's enough. That's not so different from what Percy did in terms of receiving yards, but Gerhart won't contribute to the stat sheet or the highlight reel in the return game the way Harvin did. Injuries could change things, but I don't think any Vikings fans want to see that.

Cook is also assumed to be just a little down the depth chart, but he has a chance to get significant playing time if he has the skills. Existing injuries is part of that, at least early, but he plays at a position where 3 guys see significant time every week and the guys in front of him aren't all-pros. It's tough for a defensive back to win the award though. It takes stats - INTs - and that's something that no defensive back in the Vikings defense has provided for years (no player with more than 4 INTs since 2005).

Griffin is probably the next most likely candidate on the Vikes. He'll probably see some time. Sacks are a voter friendly stat.

The only other player that has any chance at all might be Webb. But it's hardly a sure thing he finds his way onto the active roster each week, let alone onto the field enough to put up the numbers that he'd need.

Of the other NFC North rookies, I like the chances of both guys in Detroit. They should get plenty of playing time. Suh should get plenty of attention so if he is decent he will be mentioned. I personally think it's only a matter of time before people in Detroit tape over the 'Best' nameplate on their replica jerseys with 'Bust', but he will get carries as a rookie and voters like total yards and touchdowns at that position.

Anyway, it's just an award. If Viking players are in the discussion at the end of the year it means they played well and are probably pretty good. But they don't give out extra wins or cash prizes to the fans or anything.

Oh, and the real rookie of the year is whoever takes Tahi's roster spot.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

TBH, I see Best being the best (no pun intended) of this class.

Suh will of course be a beast, but I don't see him gathering enough stats to get enough attention. He'll be quitely making a difference, while Best will attract alot of attention.

I don't see either of our guys making enough of an impact, Neither are starters.

I think that Best will make the best case for RotY. He just plays the right position. He can catch the ball, can run it and will be a huge weapon on that team.

As long as he doesn't get hurt.

And for my little piece of homerism, I'm going to throw Morgan Burnett in there.

I have really high hopes for the guy. He's a ballhawk, much like Collins, in a system that allows him to play the pass and roam around in the backfield. I think that, with Collins on the other side of him and Woodson on the team, the ball might be thrown his way a little. Don't know if he'll start from week 1, though.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I agree on the Best comments. He has the best shot just because of the position he plays and has the best chance to start and succeed.

Suh should have beast most turned on the entire year, but for a defensive tackle to win rookie of the year over a linebacker or end or even corner back would be very difficult.

Vikings wise, we should hope that Cook has the best chance. If Gerhart is in the running, that means something happened to AP, and we do no want that. As for Griffin, that would be interesting but it would depend on Edwards and Allen. I can only see the vikings players being considered for the award if a starter gets hurt early and the rookie steps up big time.
    We're bringing purple back.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Suh will have the biggest impact on the Lions, but Best will be the NFC North ROY.

I think he will have a good shot for NFL rookie of the year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

No respect for Weber State WR Tim Toone?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

marshallvike wrote:
    No respect for Weber State WR Tim Toone?
    Nope. None.
    We're bringing purple back.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Everson griffin when he beats out Edwards and becomes a dynamic duo with JA

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

Ryan Perrilloux
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast