Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Haslett, Tice, Childress?: Marginal HCs get a second chance?

Haslett drove a good Saints team into the ground by annointing Aaron Brooks as QB.
    He was given the HC of the year accolades when the Saints won their first playoff game, ever, a few years ago.
    The first playoff game since their inception in 1967.
    That is a serious drought.
    Aaron Brooks is exposed as the hack that he is and Haslett walks the plank.
    After a couple years in coordinator gigs he is given the interim HC position for the Rams and pulls off a miraculous W against the previously undefeated Redsticks.

Tice has zero coordinator experience when Denny walks in MN.
    He comes in as an interim HC at the end of Denny's last season after reaching the rank of O-line coach with the franchise.
    Redneck McCombs is too cheap to actually competitively look for a reasonable HC and gives Tice the reigns for the Vikings.
    Tice runs the team into mediocrity hell while having on-the-job training at the Vikings expense.
    He goes on to be asst. HC/offense for the Jags and is demoted to TE coach in MN.
    He was supposedly considered for a couple HC jobs and was interested in the U of Minn. position. Will he get another chance at HC?
    I don't know, but there are plenty of suspect HCs in the league.
    Personally, I don't want the blundering idiot coaching the Vikings ever again, but, he has a more reasonable background at this juncture of his career to eventually be considered for an HC position.
    He seems better fit to be an o-line coach to me.

Now, everyone's favorite on this board, Brad Childress.
    He had a solid background coming in as the new HC, that is, from the perspective of his experience and working his way through the ranks.
    He came in touting that it all starts with the lines and then made a couple big moves with the Hutchinson and Allen acquisitions.
    I see his tenure as a mirror image of Haslett's with the Saints.
    He gets the guys he wants, is building up the team, and puts all his QB eggs in the TJack basket.
    Childress even trumped Haslett's idiocy.
    He told the public that TJack was getting better, he's the man, and, like Haslett, had no competition for the starting position.
    The difference is that he yanked TJack a couple games into the season exposing his true unbelief in TJack as the starter.
    Is that a good or bad thing?
    Considering his lack of a plan B it doesn't seem so great.
    Much of the fan base is volatile and grasping at straws even with a W (didn't go for 2, the refs won the game, AD should run more, the playcalling sucks, adjust the system to the players, etc.).
    Anyway, I see Childress walking the plank, much like Haslett did at the end of the year unless the team starts minimizing mistakes and putting together some solid games.
    The talent is there, the season is relatively young, the third year is a pivotal year and we'll see how this all pans out.

So I see three marginal coaches that are all in the relatively same position in their careers as of this moment in time.
    Will one of them rise from the ashes?
    As much as I hated Haslett he seems to be on track based on last weekend.
    Will any of them ever rise to coaching greatness at the HC level?
    It remains to be seen.
    With the coaching carousel and people looking to point fingers the HC position is as volatile as ever.
    I see all three of them, if it doesn't work out in their current gigs, getting another opportunity.
    I seriously doubt any of them will ever be inducted into the HOF as an HC.
    You just never know though.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Haslett, Tice, Childress?: Marginal HCs get a second chance?

Some good points there and to be fair to Tice he was under extreme circumstances ie a cheapskate owner and no previous experience as an OC so he was always going to struggle. Would he make a good HC now? well he is still lacking the OC experience which you'd expect to work against him. If was here now then he would at least be able to have hired a decent OC to help cover his lack of skills but its a mute point as the fanbase wouldn't want him back - as he is associated too much with McCoombs.

One thing with Childress is that, on current perception both media and fan base, if he lost the HC job here then he'd struggle to get an OC job elsewhere in the league.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Nice post. Wish I had time to digest it all, however, it caused me to ponder a small question.......

Using the rationale that HC's are tied to draft picks, especially QB's, should Jeff Fisher be fired for VY?

Nope, I will continue to point out that draft picks are a product of a GM like guy that has a college scouting staff under him that pick the best players (percieved at least) from each class of college players that year and its the HC's job to get them game ready.

If anyones ass should be on the line for committing huge dollars (most gaurantee'd) for "Franchise" QB's that fail at the next level it should start with the GM, filter down the scouts that evaluated the tape and then hit the QB coach, O-coord and the HC all at the same time.

Of course if you believe that the HC alone is solely responsible for not only finding the kid, drafting the kid, signing him to huge contract with lots of up front gaurantee'd money then I guess I am pondering the wrong thought.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Nice post. Wish I had time to digest it all, however, it caused me to ponder a small question.......

Using the rationale that HC's are tied to draft picks, especially QB's, should Jeff Fisher be fired for VY?

Nope, I will continue to point out that draft picks are a product of a GM like guy that has a college scouting staff under him that pick the best players (percieved at least) from each class of college players that year and its the HC's job to get them game ready.

If anyones ass should be on the line for committing huge dollars (most gaurantee'd) for "Franchise" QB's that fail at the next level it should start with the GM, filter down the scouts that evaluated the tape and then hit the QB coach, O-coord and the HC all at the same time.

Of course if you believe that the HC alone is solely responsible for not only finding the kid, drafting the kid, signing him to huge contract with lots of up front gaurantee'd money then I guess I am pondering the wrong thought.
    There are always many involved, obviously, an any draft acquisition or in any player acquisition for that matter.
    The HC is, well, the HC.
    They are at the top of the coaching hierarchy.
    So, when things go badly, whether they are perceived or real, and the owner sees a fan base that is going ballistic and things like the seats aren't selling out, the stadium deal isn't getting done, etc.
    The HC is the easiest scapegoat on the list.
    If it gives optimism to the fanbase, even if it is not warranted, it can help with some other issues.
    Now, if the ownership listend to the "fire Coughlin" crowd at this juncture of the season last year the Jints wouldn't be sporting another Lombardi.
    In the world of volatile HCing positions you just never know what will happen.
    People get canned all the time, I'm guessing it's more common than somebody, like Bud Grant, just stepping down.
    Childress mentioned that he is well aware of that risk, it comes with the ground of being an HC in the NFL....or college for that matter.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

If anyones jiggly butt should be on the line for committing huge dollars (most gaurantee'd) for "Franchise" QB's that fail at the next level it should start with the GM, filter down the scouts that evaluated the tape and then hit the QB coach, O-coord and the HC all at the same time.

There are always many involved, obviously, an any draft acquisition or in any player acquisition for that matter.
    The HC is, well, the HC.
    So, when things go badly, whether they are perceived or real, and the owner sees a fan base that is going ballistic and things like the seats aren't selling out, the stadium deal isn't getting done, etc.
    If it gives optimism to the fanbase, even if it is not warranted, it can help with some other issues.
    Now, if the ownership listend to the "fire Coughlin" crowd at this juncture of the season last year the Jints wouldn't be sporting another Lombardi.
    People get canned all the time, I'm guessing it's more common than somebody, like Bud Grant, just stepping down.
    Childress mentioned that he is well aware of that risk, it comes with the ground of being an HC in the NFL....or college for that matter.
    And just as good of a follow-up post.
    You are on your "A" game today my friend.

Quick question...........

So what your saying is that because the fan base isn't intelligent enough to understand the complexity of how players are selected, the owner should just go out and shitcan the HC because the fans are yutz's?

Why not use your PR department to educate the masses, get the local sports rubes to write accurate stuff about it and move on.
    Wouldn't that be simpler instead of just starting over every 3 or 4 years with a new HC so that you could keep the blind masses happy?
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

If anyones jiggly butt should be on the line for committing huge dollars (most gaurantee'd) for "Franchise" QB's that fail at the next level it should start with the GM, filter down the scouts that evaluated the tape and then hit the QB coach, O-coord and the HC all at the same time.

The HC is, well, the HC.

So what your saying is that because the fan base isn't intelligent enough to understand the complexity of how players are selected, the owner should just go out and shitcan the HC because the fans are yutz's?

Why not use your PR department to educate the masses, get the local sports rubes to write accurate stuff about it and move on.
    Wouldn't that be simpler instead of just starting over every 3 or 4 years with a new HC so that you could keep the blind masses happy?

:
    Anybody that has followed the NFL for any amount of time knows that the average fan is a moron and understands very little about the game, that is a given.
    I'm not saying that they should do that, I am saying that they do that.
    Just look around and the HCs that have been canned and gone on to greatness.
    There are very few teams in this era that hire a guy as HC and believe in them and stick with them in the long-term.
    The Steelers come to mind as a team that follows that principle.
    There are many more that do not.
    Bottom-line is that the game, unlike the old days, is all about the money.
    They can blow smoke all they want about how it isn't, but their actions speak louder than words.
    It's like a research I university, they blow smoke about teaching being important...but, when it comes down to faculty promotions the only thing that matters is publications and money brought in.
    That is reality, like it or not.
    If the negative vocal masses get the ball rolling the HC is dead in the water.
    I agree that the PR people should do their job, but, like politics, people read through it and even if they are telling semblances of truth they will not change their minds once they are made.
    Hell, look at this board.
    If some people think TJack sucks ass there is nothing that can be said or done to change their mind.
    It's all about perception and money.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

The HC is, well, the HC.

:
    Anybody that has followed the NFL for any amount of time knows that the average fan is a silly guy and understands very little about the game, that is a given.
    There are very few teams in this era that hire a guy as HC and believe in them and stick with them in the long-term.
    They can blow smoke all they want about how it isn't, but their actions speak louder than words.
    It's like a research I university, they blow smoke about teaching being important...but, when it comes down to faculty promotions the only thing that matters is publications and money brought in.
    I agree that the PR people should do their job, but, like politics, people read through it and even if they are telling semblances of truth they will not change their minds once they are made.
    If some people think TJack sucks jiggly butt there is nothing that can be said or done to change their mind.
    Cold hard truth right there.
    Its about the money, and fan perception is a very large part of it, whether the fans are right or wrong is irrelevant.

marshallvike is online now Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    Haslett drove a good Saints team into the ground by annointing Aaron Brooks as QB.
    He was given the HC of the year accolades when the Saints won their first playoff game, ever, a few years ago.
    The first playoff game since their inception in 1967.
    That is a serious drought.
    Aaron Brooks is exposed as the hack that he is and Haslett walks the plank.
    After a couple years in coordinator gigs he is given the interim HC position for the Rams and pulls off a miraculous W against the previously undefeated Redsticks.

Tice has zero coordinator experience when Denny walks in MN.
    He comes in as an interim HC at the end of Denny's last season after reaching the rank of O-line coach with the franchise.
    Redneck McCombs is too cheap to actually competitively look for a reasonable HC and gives Tice the reigns for the Vikings.
    Tice runs the team into mediocrity hell while having on-the-job training at the Vikings expense.
    He goes on to be asst. HC/offense for the Jags and is demoted to TE coach in MN.
    He was supposedly considered for a couple HC jobs and was interested in the U of Minn. position. Will he get another chance at HC?
    I don't know, but there are plenty of suspect HCs in the league.
    Personally, I don't want the blundering idiot coaching the Vikings ever again, but, he has a more reasonable background at this juncture of his career to eventually be considered for an HC position.
    He seems better fit to be an o-line coach to me.

Now, everyone's favorite on this board, Brad Childress.
    He had a solid background coming in as the new HC, that is, from the perspective of his experience and working his way through the ranks.
    He came in touting that it all starts with the lines and then made a couple big moves with the Hutchinson and Allen acquisitions.
    I see his tenure as a mirror image of Haslett's with the Saints.
    He gets the guys he wants, is building up the team, and puts all his QB eggs in the TJack basket.
    Childress even trumped Haslett's idiocy.
    He told the public that TJack was getting better, he's the man, and, like Haslett, had no competition for the starting position.
    The difference is that he yanked TJack a couple games into the season exposing his true unbelief in TJack as the starter.
    Is that a good or bad thing?
    Considering his lack of a plan B it doesn't seem so great.
    Much of the fan base is volatile and grasping at straws even with a W (didn't go for 2, the refs won the game, AD should run more, the playcalling sucks, adjust the system to the players, etc.).
    Anyway, I see Childress walking the plank, much like Haslett did at the end of the year unless the team starts minimizing mistakes and putting together some solid games.
    The talent is there, the season is relatively young, the third year is a pivotal year and we'll see how this all pans out.

So I see three marginal coaches that are all in the relatively same position in their careers as of this moment in time.
    Will one of them rise from the ashes?
    As much as I hated Haslett he seems to be on track based on last weekend.
    Will any of them ever rise to coaching greatness at the HC level?
    It remains to be seen.
    With the coaching carousel and people looking to point fingers the HC position is as volatile as ever.
    I see all three of them, if it doesn't work out in their current gigs, getting another opportunity.
    I seriously doubt any of them will ever be inducted into the HOF as an HC.
    You just never know though.
    remember, Bill Bellichek sucked in his first round as a HC. might have had something to do with cutting Kosar and making Vinny T. his starter. He didn't do much in his half hour as Jets HC. Took over NE, went 11-5 by his second season, and took off running.
    The first run as HC is not always indicative of a coaches ability.
    As you said, you never know.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

The HC is, well, the HC.

:
    Anybody that has followed the NFL for any amount of time knows that the average fan is a silly guy and understands very little about the game, that is a given.
    If some people think TJack sucks jiggly butt there is nothing that can be said or done to change their mind.
    Its about the money, and fan perception is a very large part of it, whether the fans are right or wrong is irrelevant.

Use the word "Media" perception vice fan perception and I will agree with ya Tasty.

The reason the NFL is so big is based on Corporate and TV dollars and not the local rubes that park thier butts in the seats (almost) every weekend.

Like it or not, Joe average fan has very little impact on what a owner does.
    If they did, McMullet would have been fired in Lion land long before he was.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=48499.msg851504#msg851504 date=1223902228]

The HC is, well, the HC.

:

Use the word "Media" perception vice fan perception and I will agree with ya Tasty.

The reason the NFL is so big is based on Corporate and TV dollars and not the local rubes that park thier butts in the seats (almost) every weekend.

Like it or not, Joe average fan has very little impact on what a owner does.
    If they did, McMullet would have been fired in Lion land long before he was.
    [/quote]

That was old man Ford.
    Like it or not, the average fan when combined together has a huge influence.
    They rely on the diehard fans that will watch the game no matter what.
    When the paying masses say fuck you to the ownership and the revenues drop they listen.
    If every media outlet is thrashing on a coach and the fans follow the days are numbered for the HC if they don't start producing.
    Every HC that is worth their weight ignores that crap and does their job.
    They already know up front what is expected of them and if they get the job done there is no problem.
    The fan base is fickle, hell, when the Steelers were in the SB a couple years ago and started off slowly the following season the majority of the fans wanted the coach canned.
    It's part of the game.
    The HC position is more volatile now than ever.
    People that have a brain, like Zygi, sort through the bullshit and you can guarantee he has people looking at the finances and is critically looking at the team.
    He didn't become a billionaire by being a dumb fuck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast