Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

The Harrison Hit

Harrison gets another big fine, this time for an illegal hit on a QB.

Ok....I can't see any difference between that hit and the hit that Favre took that knocked him out of a game and resulted in ten stitches.

The helmet went right into the chin in both cases.

If anything, the hit Favre took was even more flagrant.

So.....help me out here. Why no penalty or fine on the hit on Favre?
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The Harrison Hit

The Harrison Hit..........Was bullshit.

Football is a violent sport. Injuries are part of the game. You try to take the violence out of it and you will loose the fans that love it for that very reason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you want to limit injuries caused by helmets, change the helmets back to something other than what they are now......Weapons.

To date, every time I say that I get......"Well you can't hit with a leather helmet". Again, thats bullshit. Yes you can. You just do it the right way.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

The Harrison Hit

I totally disagree (except about the potential solution, which might have merit).

Something has gone horribly wrong when a QB can be intentionally knocked out of the game with a helmet to the head.

This creates incentive to improve your chances by knocking out the other team's first string QB.....and if the replacement plays well....take him out, too.

And.....what's the other team doing? Immediately they start plotting to do the same thing to you. TAKE OUT YOUR QB.

Even if there's a penalty.....even if there's a penalty and fine....you still come out ahead.

All of a sudden it's open season on quarterbacks.

Same thing applies when a team has a star receiver.....lead with the helmet and see him carried off the field. You just improved your team's chances by a good margin.

Then your opponent retaliates by going helmet to helmet with your best receiver.

This is stupid and it's not real football at all....it's winning by assassination.
    --John Wooden

Erinnn is offline Starter

The Harrison Hit

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1080794
    The Harrison Hit..........Was bullshit.

Football is a violent sport. Injuries are part of the game. You try to take the violence out of it and you will loose the fans that love it for that very reason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you want to limit injuries caused by helmets, change the helmets back to something other than what they are now......Weapons.

To date, every time I say that I get......"Well you can't hit with a leather helmet". Again, thats bullshit. Yes you can. You just do it the right way.
    Have to agree that the helmets lend themselves to players tackling with their head because of the protection they afford. I believe Ditka offered up the same solution several months ago. Switching to leather helmets might force players to relearn leading with their shoulder to tackle and block.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

The Harrison Hit

Harrison has a history of nasty hits, and the Favre hit was before (I believe) the league decided to crack down again and start enforcing the rules that were on the books regarding violent helmet leading hits.

The Harrison Hit

I think the Favre hit was after Harrison got his first big fine because I remember remarking on that at the time.

Maybe somebody of better memory than me can give us the sequence of events.

At any rate, I've been watching football for a long time and I see a new attitude.

Cheating seems to be ok and winning is the only thing that matters, even winning by cheating, even winning by assassination.

I'd like to see harsh measures to ensure more science and less stupid violence for the sake of violence.
    --John Wooden

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Harrison Hit

James Harrison cannot be any stupider.

All this dude needs to do is pick his head up. Even if he hit with his facemask it would have been fine. Just not the crown of his helmet.

If he had any brain to protect with that helmet he'd have stopped using it as a weapon weeks ago.

Yeah.....well, it ain't all his fault, of course.

It's a cultural thing relating to violence.

I'm seeing people on the blogs and T.V. defending the hit. One guy said it helps fire up the defense.

To do what? Make more dangerous hits that put people on the cart leaving the field?

I absolutely can't see it. It's wrong.

Football is about finesse as well as sheer force.

Winning at all cost is destructive to a sport and a culture.

Wake up, NFL.
    --John Wooden

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

As far as I am concerned, anyone who plays to deliberately take another player out of the game, should be suspended for as long as his target is out from the injury. That's only fair, don't you think? (Of course proving intent is another matter entirely.)

If you have to cheat to win, that tells me you don't believe you can win without cheating. Coward.

Not only is it unnecessarily violent, but it's stupid as well. Why give an advantage to every other team who plays your opponent after you do? Especially your divisional rivals?

If it happened anywhere other than on the field, most of these incidents would be assaults with intent to do bodily harm.

I am a big fan of hard, LEGAL hits. It's a violent game, and I accept that. Injuries will happen, but they should not be the result of illegal play or improper motivation.

It's a game. Your life does not depend on how well you can beat the other guys up.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I can totally understand if it appears a player is using his helmet as a weapon.

However, there are some ridiculous fines now. The Jackson/Robinson COLLISION was bullshit. He did not lead with his helmet. Was it viscious? Hell yes. And legal too. Sure the result was pretty bad, but it's a man's game.

Who was it that was fined (or maybe just flagged) for brushing their hand across the back of the QB's helmet? He was getting blocked wide and the QB stepped up in the pocket and his hand made contact (barely) with the back of the helmet. Just stupid.

Outta give some of the guys tampons...starting with Goodell.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast