Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Hank Baskett: Rookie receiver winning big fans

Posted on Mon, Jul. 31, 2006

[size=18px]Traded WR stands out with Philly[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — The Philadelphia Eagles' imprint on the 2006 Vikings is obvious with the hiring in January of Brad Childress, who brought with him the West Coast offense and several key staff members.

But an unheralded former Viking is making quite an impression on the Eagles at their training camp at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa.

Receiver Hank Baskett's performance there has compelled glowing comments from coach Andy Reid and quarterback Donovan McNabb, and compelled thousands of fans to chant his name during practices.

The name doesn't register?

That's because Baskett was a rookie free agent out of New Mexico who was traded to the Eagles in May for veteran receiver Billy McMullen. The transaction was curious because the Eagles were trading a former third-round pick for a rookie who wasn't drafted. But the move made sense to the Eagles.

"Our scouts really liked him," Reid said. "We had him as a late first-day pick, early second-day pick. And, he's just one of those guys that happened to fall."

Although he was disappointed he wasn't drafted, Baskett took solace in joining the same team as one of his college teammates and best friends, Vikings rookie center Ryan Cook. The two played at New Mexico for five years, and they were natives of the state.

"I thought he'd get drafted because he's a playmaker," Cook said. "Just being around him for five years, he's so dedicated and has the attitude that if you throw it up, he'll go get it."

That's precisely what he's done at Lehigh.

Baskett didn't stand out because he's 6 feet 4. He distinguished himself by making acrobatic catches and being a consistent playmaker. Even after the veterans arrived, Baskett remained a fan favorite, and he still runs with the first- or second-string offense.

Asked where he stands on the depth chart, Baskett said, "As long as you're catching balls from Donovan, you must be doing OK."

McNabb praised Baskett's work ethic last week and summarized the rookie's impact.

"Hank Baskett has been doing a wonderful job," he said. "Obviously he's a guy not a lot of people would know much about, but he's definitely opened up a lot of eyes with the things he can do in this offense.

"He's a bigger receiver, a guy that runs great routes and can catch the ball," McNabb said. "So, he's definitely going to help us in so many ways with depth right now at our wide receiver position."

Baskett knows he has a long way to go. But he can only marvel at how well training camp has gone so far.

"Aw man, it's been an amazing experience," Baskett said Saturday. "It was a rough road getting here. But I'm beyond excited. It's a blessing in disguise (to be traded)."

Baskett, though, is confident he could have excelled with the Vikings, a sentiment Cook echoed.

McMullen will participate in his first practice of training camp today as one of 12 receivers vying for, most likely, five or six spots.

In Philadelphia, where the receiver depth is much more shallow, Baskett's role has been heightened with minor injuries to Reggie Brown and Todd Pinkston.

"It's a tossup," Baskett said of his chances of making the roster. "Everyone is out here trying to make the team. If I can keep making plays, I have a real good shot of making it here.

"All I ask for is an opportunity, and that's what Philadelphia is giving me."

Traded WR stands out with Philly

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Posted on Tue, Aug. 08, 2006

[size=18px]Baskett working way into Eagles lineup[/size]
    The rookie receiver continues to prove himself.

By Bob Brookover
    Inquirer
    Staff Writer

Nothing has been normal about Hank Baskett's embryonic NFL career so far.

The Eagles' rookie wide receiver was not drafted in April, but he was traded from the Minnesota Vikings in May, a rare if not unprecedented feat.

Equally as odd was how he found out he would be starting Sunday night in his NFL exhibition debut against the Oakland Raiders. He said his mother told him.

"I guess it was on Coach [Andy] Reid's radio show or something," Baskett said after the Eagles' 16-10 loss in the Hall of Fame Game at Fawcett Stadium in Canton, Ohio. "She said she heard something online that I was going to be starting. She keeps up with everything online."

Judy, his computer-savvy mother, planted herself in front of the family television set in Clovis, N.M., for Baskett's debut against the Raiders. She also nixed the idea of a party for the occasion.

"My dad would have had everybody over," Baskett said. "My mom wasn't letting anybody come over. She got in front of the TV and just sat there. I guarantee you she didn't move at all."

That ability to concentrate on the task at hand appears to have been transferred to Baskett. After 15 days of practice in training camp and one preseason game, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound receiver seems to have already secured a spot on the 53-man roster.

Now he is trying to become a starter opposite Reggie Brown, a second-round pick in 2005 who had to wait for the departure of Terrell Owens before he broke into the starting lineup midway through last season.

Because veteran Todd Pinkston is still recovering from swelling in both Achilles tendons, it is not inconceivable that Baskett could start opening day Sept. 10 in Houston.

Baskett became the most fascinating story of training camp when he came out in the first few weeks and caught just about everything thrown his way, triggering chants of his name similar to the ones previously reserved for Owens. Donovan McNabb already had embraced the rookie's ability after working with him at the quarterback's training facility in Phoenix.

When McNabb trotted onto the field in Canton, Ohio, before Sunday night's game, the 23-year-old Baskett was by his side.

This was the rookie's first chance to prove that his training-camp work was not a fluke. There is a long list of wide receivers who have looked great in practice but could not transfer their ability to the field.

"He didn't look nervous," Reid said. "He was ready to go and excited. He went out there and he made a catch, and now we'll see how he does down the road."

Baskett said he was nervous, but not as much as he might have been if he had not already been running with the first team at camp.

"I was definitely surprised that it happened in my first preseason game, but throughout practice I had been running with the ones [the first team], so it wasn't that big of a shock," the former New Mexico star said. "I'm glad I had been doing it throughout practice, so I wasn't just thrown in there. I'd have been really, really nervous if it had been just a little spur-of-the-moment thing."

Reid scripted the third play of the Eagles' first offensive series with the rookie as the primary receiver. It was McNabb's first pass of the night, after two impressive runs by Brian Westbrook, and Baskett ran a sharp route and caught the ball for a 7-yard gain before being tackled by cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

Baskett said taking his first hit in an NFL game was a big moment.

"It's all about that first catch and that first tackle," he said. "... My thing is, once you get tackled for the first time, then you feel better because you're sitting there worried about whether these guys are going to just fly and just crunch me. When you get tackled, you're like, 'All right, they can hit a little.' There are going to be some big hits, and I'm going to get that big hit at some time. I know I'm going to get laid out, but you just have to catch it. You have to catch everything."

Baskett said he was also able to deliver his share of hits on the six running plays the Eagles ran on their opening series.

"Run-blocking is great," he said. "When you get to go out and hit somebody instead of them hitting you, that definitely feels great. I'm the kind of receiver, I don't want them to bring all the fight to me. You don't go into a fight willing to accept everything. You want to throw some punches of your own."

Contact staff writer Bob Brookover at 215-854-2577 or [email protected]

Baskett working way into Eagles lineup

I'm going to keep an eye on Hank all season long.

As I've said in the past, we are going to regret trading him away.

Top_Speed is offline Starter

With the first unit! (Sun nite vs. Oak) yes he had a very nice slant pass catch. Good lanky looking fellow. McNabb stabbed the pass to him in stride (and Hank had good stride after).

Playing with the Philly 1st team (already?) Granted their receiver core is not hi-end BUT....
    Man it makes me wonder why we gave him up as a potential talant/prospect.
    Home Sweet Dome...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah...I wonder how much better we would be if we had drafted DeAngelo too...or if we would have acquired Donnie Edwards...or.....

Face it, guys...Childress knows alot more than all of us combined...yeah, Baskett might make it in Philly, but we will be just fine...he wouldn't have beat out KRob or TWill or TTay or probably even MRob...so he would have sat on the bench. The fact that he is beating out Stinkston ain't saying all THAT much! I respect his abilities, but we will be just fine...now if only SOMEONE would step up and take control of the MLB spot...THAT is something that SERIOUSLY concerns me. I hope that either Nap or Dontarrious is man enough for the job of leading our D!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    I'm going to keep an eye on Hank all season long.
    :shock:

Singer...or is it Swinger??? I didn't know you swung that way! :razz:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Oh great the ...we shouldnt have traded Hank Baskett whinning thread is back.......it's over....move on....deal with it. :roll:

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"jdvike" wrote:
    Oh great the ...we shouldnt have traded Hank Baskett whinning thread is back.......it's over....move on....deal with it. :roll:
    At least I am not the only one who feels that way!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Hank Baskett waived by the Eagles to make room for Vick.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Way to bump an old topic. Making those who wanted him look like idiots.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast