Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rookie receiver winning big fans

"singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Hmmm, that was one of the moves that had me scratching my head.
    That goes double for me.

I've had this uneasy feeling ever since we let him go that we will regret it big time.

That and who we let him go for.. McMullen, a guy that has proven just as much as this undrafted rookie free agent. Nothing...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

keep in mind that there is next to no skill at the wr spot on that team. they are probably one of the weakest teams in the league at the position, so id expect some UFA's to make the team.

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I was wondering why we let him go, I guess only time will tell

Thanks PurpleMafia

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Hank Baskett: Rookie receiver winning big fans

[size=18px]Baskett looking like quite fine catch[/size]

Eagles Notebook. Undrafted wide receiver turning heads in his first training camp as a pro.

Friday, July 28, 206

By BRUCE BURATTI
    The Express-Times

BETHLEHEM - It happens every summer in training camps throughout the NFL.

An unheralded player saddled with no expectations comes in and shows the coaching staff that he belongs despite his lowly draft status.

Actually, Hank Baskett wasn't even drafted. And despite being only a few months out of the University of New Mexico, the 23-year-old rookie wide receiver has already been the property of two NFL teams.

But despite his whirlwind three-month pro football experience, he's been no basket case -- excuse the pun -- in his one week of training camp with the Eagles.

"You do what you gotta do," said Baskett, after another impressive afternoon performance Thursday at Lehigh. "I guess you could say I've already been exposed to the harsh business side of the NFL. In college, you go four years and they can kind of wait for you. Here, you mess up and you're gone."

Baskett made several nice receptions in Thursday's morning session, including one deep ball along the sidelines that he caught on his fingertips before going out-of-bounds. Then in the afternoon, he laid out and made another spectacular fingertip grab of a laser shot over the middle from quarterback Donovan McNabb down the middle.

That catch not only was noticed by the fans but by his teammates, who whistled loudly after Baskett came up with the football.

With Todd Pinkston out with an Achilles injury, Baskett is getting additional reps and making the most of it.

The funny thing is, Baskett wasn't even the original property of the Eagles. Though he was New Mexico's leading receiver in 2004 and 2005, he went undrafted and was signed as a free agent by the Minnesota Vikings.

Baskett, however, was a Viking for less than a week. He was traded to the Eagles for Billy McMullen, another wide receiver, in May.

Even if the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Baskett doesn't find his way out onto the field as a wide receiver, special teams coach John Harbaugh might figure out a way to use him on his units.

"Baskett looks like a special teams player," Harbaugh said. "A big, strong, physical guy, absolutely."

Baskett is the type of player head coach Andy Reid loves, too. He was a four-time all-academic Mountain West Conference honoree and graduated with a degree in general management.

And he's made people notice his physical gifts, too, in the past week.

Entire article: Baskett looking like quite fine catch

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

This could end up being one of the worst moves we made this year.

I've been rueing their decision on this since they made the trade.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

If Baskett becomes even a mediocre wide receiver in the NFL the Vikings management (especially Childress seeing as he must have been the driving force behind this trade) better take a LONG look at themselves.

Do you know what the saddest part is? Tice loved undrafted rookies. He'd have been all over Baskett like a rash and supported him every step of the way.

God it hurts to compliment Tice over Childress like that.

Prophet Guest

"Benet" wrote:
    If Baskett becomes even a mediocre wide receiver in the NFL the Vikings management (especially Childress seeing as he must have been the driving force behind this trade) better take a LONG look at themselves.

Do you know what the saddest part is? Tice loved undrafted rookies. He'd have been all over Baskett like a rash and supported him every step of the way.

God it hurts to compliment Tice over Childress like that.
    Tice could not win the SB as an HC if you gave him the best players at every position.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I've been against this trade since the beginning. We traded a hot prospect (IMHO) for a proven mediocre at best receiever. I trust that Childress has a much wiser football mind then myself so hopefully he saw something we didnt'....although I doubt it.

Prophet Guest

My guess is there were philosophical differences and Childress has shown tendencies to be a homeboy when it come to transactions with the Eagles.

boognish is offline Coordinator

Who cares? The Eagles fans/media are starved for any good news regarding their pathetic WR corps and the MN media is always waiting for a chance to pounce on the Vikings organization and second guess all their decisions.

If Baskett is lucky, he'll get on as the 4th or 5th WR on a team full of crappy WR's. It's more likely that he'll serve spot duty as a special teamer this year. McMullen started to turn it on towards the end of last season, after all their other WR's were benched or injured, so maybe Childress saw some potential there.

I think it's a lot of talk about two largely irrelevant players. Another thing we don't know is what the status of their contracts are. Perhaps we signed a player with an expiring contract so we could have some cap relief next year. Either way, we have a glut of WR's on this team, so I wouldn't worry too much about not retaining some undrafted kid from a tiny school who played against weak opponents.
    I am a dipshit!!!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast