Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rookie receiver winning big fans

McMullen is going to be the # 5 WR so I do not care if he busts out or not the WR's we need to have bust out years are K-Rob and T-Will.

My point is that Baskett was not impressive enough for 32 teams to draft him over 7 rounds of the draft, so I am not going to worry because we traded him. There were 255 players chosen in the draft, and 33 were WR's and he was not one of them.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    McMullen is going to be the # 5 WR so I do not care if he busts out or not the WR's we need to have bust out years are K-Rob and T-Will.

My point is that Baskett was not impressive enough for 32 teams to draft him over 7 rounds of the draft, so I am not going to worry because we traded him. There were 255 players chosen in the draft, and 33 were WR's and he was not one of them.
    That's a fine point. My point is I think we traded some talent away for some trash. I'm not proclaiming he will be the cats ass. All I was saying is we may be regretting this in the future.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

I think Baskett is going to shine in Philly.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    Billy McMullen is gonna [size=18px]BUST OUT IN 2006![/size]
    Looks like a prediction to me. Warm up the oven for some crow. :lol:
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I shall predict That I'm careful to tap-dance, and EAT CROW, in every room TOTALLY.

=Z=

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Top_Speed is offline Starter

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

That's a fine point. My point is I think we traded some talent away for some trash. I'm not proclaiming he will be the cats jiggly butt. All I was saying is we may be regretting this in the future.
    Your killing me Rio :wink:
    That's what I was thinking also BUT I was hoping we got the better end of the deal (of course). You know the old saying however "garbage in.... garbage out!"
    Home Sweet Dome...

I think some people are undervaluing McMullen's true asset...experience. Though he certainly doesn't appear to be the most talented reciever AND the case may be made that Baskett had more talent than he, coaching isn't about just having the most talent on the field. I think we know as fans that we've had A LOT of talent on the field and underachieved for a very long time. Therefore, IF getting this guy helps our top four recievers pick up the system faster (because peer-led learning is often easier than superior-led learning) then I think it was an outstanding leadership decision. Either way, it is way too early to start throwing anyone under the bus.

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

most fans go by the saying "management is guilty until proven innocent"

people, remember back when everyone was pissed we didnt take mike williams?

yeah. last i heard he was fined 400000 bucks last year for not showing up on time and being overweight. and he might not even make the lions team.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    I think some people are undervaluing McMullen's true asset...experience. Though he certainly doesn't appear to be the most talented reciever AND the case may be made that Baskett had more talent than he, coaching isn't about just having the most talent on the field. I think we know as fans that we've had A LOT of talent on the field and underachieved for a very long time. Therefore, IF getting this guy helps our top four recievers pick up the system faster (because peer-led learning is often easier than superior-led learning) then I think it was an outstanding leadership decision. Either way, it is way too early to start throwing anyone under the bus.

-DD
    So we got McMullen to be a mentor? I don't buy it.

1. MRob, KRob, and Taylor have more experience than him.
    2. We had underacheiving talent on the field because our coaches sucked, not because we had a lack of mentors.
    3. Good mentors are players who have had success in a long career and are ready to step out of the limelight. Cris Carter and Jerry Rice accepted mentoring roles. A player like McMullen has something to prove and wants to compete. He is not going to advise or lead, unless its by example, which he has never done in the past.
    4. Receiver is a position where someone with talent can make an immediate impact. Moss and TO both did that. Childress jumped all over the raw talent of Tarvaris, why not at least give Baskett a chance?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Good points V-Unit. All I'm saying is that McMullen has experience specific to the system that they are trying to implement here. I can imagine that having someone who can run a route when it is called without needing an explination (for demonstration purposes or whatever) can be a very useful pedagogical tool and even more effective when coming from a peer rather than a superior.

Unless we were in every OTA, mini-camp and practice we would have no idea what McMullen's impact is on this team and I think it's a bit harsh to start criticizing the move already. Baskett may be a marginal special teamer (though certainly I think he will be more than that) and our reciving core could become one of the leagues most spectacular and Childress is going to look like a genius.

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

singersp is online now PPO Newshound

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    Good points V-Unit. All I'm saying is that McMullen has experience specific to the system that they are trying to implement here. I can imagine that having someone who can run a route when it is called without needing an explination (for demonstration purposes or whatever) can be a very useful pedagogical tool and even more effective when coming from a peer rather than a superior.

Unless we were in every OTA, mini-camp and practice we would have no idea what McMullen's impact is on this team and I think it's a bit harsh to start criticizing the move already. Baskett may be a marginal special teamer (though certainly I think he will be more than that) and our reciving core could become one of the leagues most spectacular and Childress is going to look like a genius.

-DD
    Knowing the system is one thing, being able to play your position well in it, is another thing.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast