Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Gumbel Coselled?

KFFL
    NFL | Gumbel could be in trouble
    Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:30:36 -0700

The Associated Press reports broadcaster Bryant Gumbel could be in trouble for remarks he made about NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue and NFLPA president Gene Upshaw. Gumbel suggested that Tagliabue show his successor "where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash." Gumbel is scheduled to be the play-by-play broadcaster on the eight late-season games on the NFL's in-house network. Tagliabue said Monday, Aug. 21, that incoming commissioner Roger Goodell and Steve Bornstein, who runs the NFL Network, will discuss the remarks after Goodell takes office Sept. 1. Tagliabue's response to Gumbel's comment: "What Gumbel said about Gene Upshaw and our owners is about as irresponsible as anything I've heard in a long time."

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Re: Gumbel Coselled?

Didn't know Gumbel had it in him, I applaud him for that, Gene is an idiot.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Didn't Gumble also make the comments about the Winter Olympics?
    I believe he said something along the lines that he wasn't interested in an event where it was 99% white, that it had nothing he wanted to see because there was not black people.

Isn't that a racist remark?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Json is offline GM

Thats most definetly a racist remark.

Imagine if someone said " I don't watch the NBA because it's 92% black"
    Now how do you think I would be received if I said a crap remark like that?

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Didn't Gumble also make the comments about the Winter Olympics?
    I believe he said something along the lines that he wasn't interested in an event where it was 99% white, that it had nothing he wanted to see because there was not black people.

Isn't that a racist remark?
    He said he had no interest in the Winter Games because since there was a "paucity" (lack) of black athletes there was no way the best athletes in the world were represented. Which, yes, was racist. (By the way we had two threads on that topic locked back in Febraury )

I don't see that this is a big deal. It probably wasn't the smartest thing someone employed (at least partially) by the NFL has said, but he is a sportscaster and commentator, so he's entitled to his opinion.

Prophet Guest

I got to thinking that there are a bunch of members that weren't following the NFL back in the MNF Cosell days.
    The title of the thread was referring to Cosell moving on based on his comments.
    I use to like Cosell, MNF half-time was the only chance we had to see what was going on around the league...pre espn and all that stuff.
    Now we have to endure Kornhole and the pathetic MNF crew, it has lost it's luster.
    Anyway, here's a blurb in history compliment of Wikipedia.com regarding Cosell's departure....will Gumbel follow the same path?

Cosell drew criticism during one Monday Night Football telecast in September 1983, for calling a wide receiver for the Washington Redskins, Alvin Garrett, a "little monkey." While some saw the term as having a racial connotation, many who knew Cosell were quick to point out that he used this term routinely in an approving way to describe quicker, smaller players of all ethnicities. Among the evidence to support this claim is video footage of a 1972 preseason game, between the New York Giants and the Kansas City Chiefs, that features Cosell referring to Mike Adamle, a 5-foot-9-inch, 197-pound Caucasian, as a "little monkey."

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Bryant Gumbel is an arrogant jerk...plain and simple!

I wonder if his Caucasian wife takes issue with his attutude towards white athetes.
    Or if his Caucasian ancestors would either...
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I guess in this world is OK for blacks to call blacks anything they want. But let a white person say those same words and BAMMMMMM! you are out the door with it hitting you in the backside.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

POSTED 5:15 p.m. EDT, August 21, 2006

NFL TO HUMBLE GUMBEL?
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

The Associated Press reports that outgoing NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said on Monday that incoming Commish Roger Goodell and NFL Network chief Steve Bornstein will discuss after September 1 remarks recently made by Bryant Gumbel on his HBO show.
    Implicit in Tagliabue's comments is the possibility that Gumbel might be nudged out of his new job as play-by-play announcer for the NFL Network's slate of eight regular-season games.

Gumbel's gaffe?
    He publicly took a shot at the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

In closing remarks from last Tuesday's show that were aimed at Goodell, Gumbel said:
    "Before he cleans out his office, have Paul Tagliabue show you where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash.
    By making the docile head of the players union his personal pet, (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/08/21/bc.fbn.gumbel.nflnetwor.ap/index.html)
    your predecessor has kept the peace without giving players the kind of guarantees other pros take for granted.
    Try to make sure no one competent ever replaces Upshaw on your watch."

Gumbel also advised Goodell to "keep a close eye on the ugly owners' split that surfaced last March" and to "[g]ently remind those millionaires who gave you the job that they are already making obscene amounts of money." (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/444483p-374331c.html)

Said Tagliabue in response:
    "What Gumbel said about Gene Upshaw and our owners is about as irresponsible as anything I've heard in a long time."

Our view?
    Gumbel's words are more ignorant than irresponsible.

If anything, the perception of late has been that Tagliabue was wearing the collar, and that Upshaw possessed the pooper-scooper.
    After all, the union successfully changed the formula for funding the salary cap by expanding significantly the universe of revenues that will be used to determine the team-by-team spending limit.
    The union also pumped up the salary floor, which in some cities is more important than the salary cap, since a low floor permits teams like the Cardinals to enhance their profit margin by keeping player costs to a minimum.
    And there's a strong sense that the union stuck it to the NFL as to the non-economic terms, such as the restriction of bonus forfeitures and the elimination of the ability of teams to pay a troublemaker to stay home.

Also, Upshaw's primary flaw (as we see it) hasn't been that he's allowed himself to be pushed around by the NFL, but that he has given high-profile agents like Tom Condon (who coincidentally represents Upshaw) far too much influence over the manner in which the NFLPA does its business.
    As a general proposition, the rank-and-file players would love to get rid of the lottery prizes paid to the first handful of guys drafted each year, since those windfalls to unproven players can otherwise go to veterans who have scratched and clawed a career in pro football.
    But because the agents who routinely represent one of more of those Powerball winners don't want to give up their cut of deals that are worth multiple millions of dollars, the union pretends that it's not an issue.

Likewise, the union never has pushed for fully-guaranteed player contracts, which are now prevalent in all other major league sports.
    Why not?
    In our view, the high-end agents realize that guaranteed contracts would result in less cap space for those huge signing bonuses.
    Plus, guaranteed salaries would wipe out the bogus back end numbers that appear in many superstar contracts, and that the agents then use as bait for the next wave of potential top-ten draft picks.

Gumbel's comments also are stoopid because he has taken a reckless hip shot at the 32 people who each own a piece of the network for which he'll be working.
    Don't get us wrong on this.
    Gumbel's willingness to say what he thinks reflects a high degree of integrity, and his desire to stir things up is a rarity in a media populated by so many folks who are afraid to tell the truth.
    However, saying what you think has as much value as the bark of a teacup poodle if what you're saying is incorrect.

Sure, all of the owners are making money.
    But if the extra millions in unshared money earned by the big-market teams are going to drive up the salary cap for the franchise that can't and never will realize that kind of revenue, the imbalance could eventually impact the on-field level of competitiveness.
    That's why the issue is so important, despite the fact that the folks who'll be most affected by its resolution will continue to be filthy rich.

You'd think that Gumbel would be smart enough to figure that out.
    He surely thinks that he is.

There's a difference, then, between "telling it like it is" and "spouting off about issues you don't fully understand."
    In our belief, the courage to be candid should be rooted in a confidence that the criticisms offered are correct.

So in Gumbel's case, his biggest sin wasn't speaking his mind.
    It was allowing his mind to be made up based on an inaccurate assessment of the available facts.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

he is a commintator. that is his job.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast