KFFL
Bears | Grossman and Turner think Grossman is ready to blossom
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:05:32 -0700

K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports when training camp starts Wednesday, July 26, Chicago Bears QB Rex Grossman and offensive coordinator Ron Turner are brashly optimistic their partnership is about to blossom. Turner saw signs during Grossman's offseason work on the field and in the classroom. "Last year at this time, I could call a play and I could see him thinking about everything, `This guy is here, that guy is there, we're in this protection,' Turner said recently. "Now that is starting to come naturally. He knows where guys are. He knows the protection schemes. He knows how we're trying to attack the defense." Beyond the annual injury questions, Grossman also must deal with the arrival of QB Brian Griese, far and away his most bona fide backup. That's because Griese actually is a starter. Grossman isn't worried, for reasons that stretch beyond his comfort with Turner's system. "I'm not trying to be the best quarterback on my team," Grossman said. "I'm trying to be the best quarterback in the league." That Turner sounds prepared to expand the playbook, while acknowledging last year's limitations with QB Kyle Orton, has to please Grossman.