Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Flidais is offline Rookie

Re:Gregg Williams is a

skum wrote:
    If you play soft on the QB, especially a QB like Peyton Manning, you might as well just forfeit the game..

He just want his guys to hit and get pressure on the QB and is willing to take the risk to get a few penalties because of it, because he knows it can make them Superbowl Champions at the end..
    Pressuring a quarterback is what we did to Romo. We didn't pull our punches, but he walked off the field by his own power every time they went 4 and out. There was a huge difference between that and what the Saints did to first Warner and then Favre.

When you're playing to actually hurt another player, quarterback or not, that's not pressure. That's just filthy football.

Personally, I'd rather have a rattled, freaked out starter out there anyway. You know you got to the starter. No guarantee that something won't go horribly, horribly wrong with a replacement quarterback, no matter how bad he might be.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach

Re:Gregg Williams is a "dirty" coach

Not to defend him, because after watching 2 playoff games, I'm convinced the Saints are playing dirty. They knew it increased their chances of winning. Having said that though, the "out to hurt Manning" thing was taken out of context, and spun by this Mike Florio (and others), that's what the media does.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/8783/williams-goal-remember-me%e2%80%99-shots-on-manning
    And the capper:

Asked if after a game that included a couple of controversial hits on Brett Favre he would talk to his defense about the potential for calls protecting Manning, he said:

Heres the deal. When you put too much of that type of worry on a warriors mind, he doesnt play all out. If it happens, it happens. And the only thing youd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesnt get back up and play again.
    And here's the actual full interview (16 min). http://1045thezone.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=36333&ID=1663916

He's saying, he doesn't want to put the worry on his own defensive warrior's mind about the potential for late hit calls. If he does (put the worry), his players won't play all out. And "if it happens, it happens", he's talking about his defense getting called for late hits, not Manning getting hurt.

And the part where he hopes he (Manning) doesn't get up, he's saying (to the interviewer) "this is what you're trying to bait me into saying". I won't argue that he's not thinking it, but he said it in jest.

Never the less, the snowball is rolling, and unfortunately for Williams, this is Manning, and all he succeeded in doing, with the help of the media, was getting people off the Saints cinderalla bandwagon, villainized them, gave Manning their defensive game plan, and provided the Colts some damn good bulletin board material.

Gears is offline Waterboy

I strongly dislike Greg Williams. Aiming to hurt people in football is dirty and i hope he gets fined trying to injure people so you don't face the teams best is just cowardly tactics
    None

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Flidais wrote:
    skum wrote:
    If you play soft on the QB, especially a QB like Peyton Manning, you might as well just forfeit the game..

He just want his guys to hit and get pressure on the QB and is willing to take the risk to get a few penalties because of it, because he knows it can make them Superbowl Champions at the end..
    Pressuring a quarterback is what we did to Romo. We didn't pull our punches, but he walked off the field by his own power every time they went 4 and out. There was a huge difference between that and what the Saints did to first Warner and then Favre.

When you're playing to actually hurt another player, quarterback or not, that's not pressure. That's just filthy football.

Personally, I'd rather have a rattled, freaked out starter out there anyway. You know you got to the starter. No guarantee that something won't go horribly, horribly wrong with a replacement quarterback, no matter how bad he might be.

Good points Flidais.

Did anyone watch "Inside the NFL" last week? I must be a glutton for punishment, because I tuned in. At one point, when Favre is on the gurney being taped up, that fat f*ck Hargrove is so happy and laughing it up with some teammates, slapping hands and saying that Favre's out and he ain't coming back...in other words, we done our job.

Personally, I hate dirty players...and I especially hate coaches who teach their players to play dirty. Williams was right when he said their front 7 wasn't good enough to win (without injuring the opposing QB).
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Reignman wrote:
    Not to defend him, because after watching 2 playoff games, I'm convinced the Saints are playing dirty. They knew it increased their chances of winning. Having said that though, the "out to hurt Manning" thing was taken out of context, and spun by this Mike Florio (and others), that's what the media does.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/8783/williams-goal-remember-me%e2%80%99-shots-on-manning
    And the capper:

Asked if after a game that included a couple of controversial hits on Brett Favre he would talk to his defense about the potential for calls protecting Manning, he said:

Heres the deal. When you put too much of that type of worry on a warriors mind, he doesnt play all out. If it happens, it happens. And the only thing youd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesnt get back up and play again.
    And here's the actual full interview (16 min). http://1045thezone.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=36333&ID=1663916

He's saying, he doesn't want to put the worry on his own defensive warrior's mind about the potential for late hit calls. If he does (put the worry), his players won't play all out. And "if it happens, it happens", he's talking about his defense getting called for late hits, not Manning getting hurt.

And the part where he hopes he (Manning) doesn't get up, he's saying (to the interviewer) "this is what you're trying to bait me into saying". I won't argue that he's not thinking it, but he said it in jest.

Never the less, the snowball is rolling, and unfortunately for Williams, this is Manning, and all he succeeded in doing, with the help of the media, was getting people off the Saints cinderalla bandwagon, villainized them, gave Manning their defensive game plan, and provided the Colts some damn good bulletin board material.
    Please quit clouding my Gregg Williams/Saints hatred with content.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Anyone see the Pro-bowl pre-game where they talked about this? They played the Gregg williams interview and totally left out the worst part, and then said there was nothing wrong with it. Pansy asses like Carter and Johnson defended the guy, I couldn't believe it.

Worth a read if you want to see inside Gregg Williams' psyche.

Quotes from Super Bowl Media Day: Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams
    Written by NewOrleans.Com/Sports | Tuesday, 02 February 2010 17:51
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

A buddy told me there was a video where you could read Greg Williams lips as he says to Bobby McCray, "do it again". I asked him to send me the link be he must have forgot.

I thought I was getting over the loss. I guess not.. now I'm mad again. :unsure:

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/09000d5d8162c347/Do-the-Saints-play-dirty

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7-xrFLPkk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast