Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    Didn't see this posted anywhere...

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/06/16/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

    "Milwaukee Journal Sentinel" wrote:
    Green Bay - It's controversial. It's contentious. And even though it's frowned upon, cut blocking is not illegal.

    And when the Green Bay Packers play for real in 2006, the cut block will be a big part of their offensive game plan.

    It's a virtual certainty Green Bay's opponents will despise this philosophical change. But some Packers don't seem to care.

    "Some people think it's dirty," center Scott Wells said. "I just think it's part of football. It's not dirty. The defense has just as good of an opportunity to defend it as you do to make the block."

    Atlanta consultant Alex Gibbs was one of the originators of the cut block and used it for years when he was the offensive line coach in Denver. New Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski, who was the offensive line coach in Atlanta last year, learned the finer points of cut blocking from Gibbs.

    The technique is legal as long as a defensive player isn't engaged with another blocker. But it's been widely criticized because it leaves defensive linemen susceptible to injury.

    In fact, in a game Jagodzinski coached last season, Carolina defensive ends Julius Peppers and Mike Rucker both suffered sprained ankles after being cut blocked by Falcons players.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    Just for a point of clarity (I didn't know the exact difference myself, which is why I looked it up...).

    "There is a gray area between the legal cut block and the illegal chop block. The cut block occurs when a player (usually an offensive lineman) blocks another (usually a defensive lineman) below the knees with his helmet in front of the player. The chop block occurs when the same block comes from the side or the back, or when the defensive player is engaged with another offensive player and therefore defenseless."
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    But we already knew that the Packers were cheaters!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  4. #4
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    just wait till they try it on kevin williams and he just jumps over them and sacks farve =)

    or.. they try it on Phat Pat and just fall over like they hit a brick wall :lol:


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  5. #5
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    just wait till they try it on kevin williams and he just jumps over them and sacks farve =)

    or.. they try it on Phat Pat and just fall over like they hit a brick wall :lol:
    lol

    Actually, I believe Phat Pat is exactly the kind of lineman that the cut block is very effective against. Smaller, more agile linemen can defeat it, and when they do they more or less have a free shot at the QB.

    Hey Del, can you share some of your DL insight with on regarding this?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #6
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    Wow.. Let's hope some of our key players don't get pointless injurys because of this.. I hate chopblocking.. I can see a QB or something doing that.. But not the whole team..




    One Love

  7. #7
    ChiTownVike's Avatar
    ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    Thats the only way that can stay within 30 points each game!



    Thank you Josdin for the sig

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    915

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    another reason to hate the packers
    You republican whore!

  9. #9
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    Their offensive line is so decimated by players leaving because they don't want to play for that terrible organization that it is the only chance they have to be effective at all on offense. They will hurt all the starters on the other teams defense so that their terrible offensive line can do something.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  10. #10
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Green Bay plans on using cut blocks

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    just wait till they try it on kevin williams and he just jumps over them and sacks farve =)

    or.. they try it on Phat Pat and just fall over like they hit a brick wall :lol:
    lol

    Actually, I believe Phat Pat is exactly the kind of lineman that the cut block is very effective against. Smaller, more agile linemen can defeat it, and when they do they more or less have a free shot at the QB.

    Hey Del, can you share some of your DL insight with on regarding this?
    You pretty much summed it up earlier. There is an illegal cut block, and there is a legal cut block. The traditional drill to condition lineman to beat a cut block is to punch both arms down with an open palm, essentially pushing the fatty's face in the ground as you fly towards the ball.

    The reason for a cutblock, the REAL reason it should be used, is to MAKE the defensive lineman punch his arms down, hence keeping his arms out of the air and in turn out of the path of the ball on PASSING plays. The NFL is a bit more tricky and the injuries tend to come off running plays where lineman cut instead of block.

    I personally have no problem with it. I think NFL players have gotten lazy and like the person in the article eluded to they have a chance to take advantage of a cut block. It's not hard to beat. And when you do your blocker is on the ground leaving you a gap the size of Strahans.

    The best is when some slobby o-lineman tries to cutblock you too soon. In the end it is up to the defensive cordinator to call stunts and DT shadows on the QB. Trust me when I say if you stunt out of slot as the ball is snapped and the O-lineman missed his cut block, it wont be called again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Airport blocks some Internet sites
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
  2. DVD in firefighter's coat blocks bullet
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 11:30 PM
  3. Vikings to buy 4 blocks by Dome
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
  4. NFL blocks Jackson from attending minicamp
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-19-2007, 06:35 AM
  5. Denny Green and Cardinals could disturb Vikings' plans
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 11:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •