Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Great read on Moss, in-depth study of his past.

Until I die and come back a black man, I will never understand then. I don't see in colors anymore. I have been tossed around intermingled and had great/not so great experiences with both races.

What it boils down to in this particular case as far as my opinions go. I have exagerated the situation. It is football. It is a game. Randy Moss seams to be doing some great things in "REAL LIFE" and that is lost in the chaos of a sport. Things that are helping people on a level most people will never be able to do and that is admirable to me.

I would be interested to read your report when you are done.

*edit*
    I understand what you are saying. I know it takes about 8 posts for us to get to the heart of what each of us intended to say in the first place. Either that or at least sand the edges down so the points aren't as sharp. :grin:

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Del Rio: The article describes the environment Moss grew up in - economically depressed, racially charged. It doesn't BLAME those factors for what Moss does or has done, but it does go quite a ways towards explaining some of the factors in the decision making process (Not that they are shocking...we hear these a lot, huh?).

The BLAME ultimately lies with Randy for what Randy does. But, if you read closely, you can see why Randy chooses what Randy chooses. You even see - in the article - that his closest friends admit that sometimes Randy is his own PR worst enemy.

Believe me, had the article blamed society, envirnment, or Dr Suess for Randy's mistakes, it would have lost points with me. I hate the buck passing that the Social Workers of today spoon feed the masses. I didn't see it in this write up.

RandyMoss8404: We're on the same page...up until the issues of racism. Racism IS alive and well...and typically helped along by the laws made to "stomp it out" (Which only fuel it), Social do-gooders who try and "break the chains" (Who only serve to create them in the first place), or media morons who are trying to expose the "real story" (Who wind up telling a one sided sob story while handily avoiding blaming people for their own stupid mistakes).

AudioGhost: C'mon, man. Was that post really needed? You can disagree with anything you like...but did it need to come out in such an inflamatory manner? "Get off his nutz"?!?!?!?! I'm still a Moss fan...am I on his "nutz"? Don't turn a discussion into a flame war.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

You will get what you want out of an article depending on what baggage you bring to it.

Caine- I do not see where you have a difference with Randy8404 in regards to racism. He says it is still alive today.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    You will get what you want out of an article depending on what baggage you bring to it.

Caine- I do not see where you have a difference with Randy8404 in regards to racism. He says it is still alive today.
    Perhaps I read something in HIS quote that raised MY caution flags...much like you did with the initial article. We agree on the fact that it exists...but do we agree on WHY? If he sends me a copy of his report, I guess we'll know (Not that he is in any way, shape, or form required to...but I too would be interested in seeing his sources and conclusions).

Caine

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

It won't be just my report, if I have my way.

I plan on working closely in sync with the Economics department at my school (University of Chicago.) Hopefully I can even get with Steven Levitt (author of Freakonomics, great read)

edit: Let me give you a statistic from that book, this one using interracial relationships as a paradigm:

(Study of 30,000 persons using internet dating sites, the best source of consistent data)

"Roughly half of the white women on the site and 80 percent of the white men declared that race didn't matter to them. But the response data tell a different story. The white men who said that race didn't matter sent 90 percent of their e-mail queries to white women. The white women who said race didn't matter sent about 97 percent of their e-mail queries to white men.

Is it possible that race really didn't matter for these white women and men, and that they simply never happened to browse a nonwhite date that interested them? Or, more likely, did they say that race didn't matter because they wanted to come across - especially to potential mates of their own race - as open minded?

The gulf between the information we publically proclaim and the information we know to be true is often vast. (Or, put a more familiar way: we say one thing and do another.) This can be seen in personal relationships, in commercial transactions, and of course politics.

By now, we are fully accustomed to the false public proclamations of politicians themselves. But voters lie too. Consider an election between a black candidate and a white candidate. Might white voters lie to pollsters, claiming they will vote for the black candidate in order to appear more color-blind than they actually are? Apparently so. In New York city's 1989 mayoral race between David Dinkins (a black candidate) and Rudolph Giuliani, Dinkins won by only a few points. Although Dinkins became the city's first black mayor, his slender margin of victory came as a surprise, for pre-election polls showed Dinkins winning by nearly 15 points. When the white supremacist David Duke ran for the U.S. Senate in 1990, he garnered nearly 20% more of the vote than pre-election polls had projected, an indication that thousands of Louisiana voters did not want to admit their preference for a candidate with racist views. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I knew Dr. Seuss was behind this!!
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Del Rio Guest

"Caine" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Perhaps I read something in HIS quote that raised MY caution flags...much like you did with the initial article. We agree on the fact that it exists...but do we agree on WHY? If he sends me a copy of his report, I guess we'll know (Not that he is in any way, shape, or form required to...but I too would be interested in seeing his sources and conclusions).

Caine
    When YOU respond to HIS response, make sure YOU capitalize specific words so YOU can get YOUR point across to HIM. :grin:

I think the article and ensuing debate is all very interesting. The part of the article which set my caution flags out is that he doesn't actually seem to be that good of a friend...completely cutting off contact for a long period of time without letting them know what they did 'wrong'...that sounds like a petty brat to me. Maybe the honor code I grew up with from the brutal streets of the southside of Duluth is a little different (p.s that is a joke, but perhaps only one who knows duluth well can get...or someone who studies a map of the city). Seriously, the article explains a bit, but he seems to be a little 'off-his-rocker'...having to wash your hands before opening his refrigerator? I don't care what your race is, that sounds a little nutty...

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Caine
    When YOU respond to HIS response, make sure YOU capitalize specific words so YOU can get YOUR point across to HIM. :grin:
    Would you prefer if I used italics instead, Del?

Caine

NeedToMove2Minnesota is offline Training Camp

I miss him! Remember the days with Moss+Carter-great

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast