Zeus wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    BadlandsVikings wrote:
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/latest/goodell-signs-5-year-contract-extension
    Just reading that. Now for the people that were angry at Childress' extension this one takes the cake. Owners unanymously voted for this. Pretty amazing to me when the players aren't real happy with the guy. This guy is ruining the game imo. He shows nothing but inconsistencies.
    Such as?

=Z=
    Jared Allen fined $50,000 for hits on Matt Schaub in 2008 regular season.

Bobby McCray fined $20,000 for hits on Brett Favre in 2009 NFCCG.

He's also expressed no concern with the way the rules are enforced despite fan backlash. Which is seriously disappointing to me. The day he addresses the officiating problems plaguing the NFL is the day I'm on his bandwagon. If you want to ruin the game by allowing new rules to be implemented, at least hire guys who can interpret them properly, and make them full time FFS.
    Yeah, he's clearly a Owner's Commissioner... not a Fan's Commissioner.

He also covered up probably the largest cheating scandal in NFL history because he's buddies with Kraft. Just an aside.
    Yeah. And we never walked on the moon and the government assassinated JFK...

(It WAS cheating - but the largest in history? I think that is a little overstated considering the minimal advantage that it gave the Pats...)
    lol... "minimal" advantage. They won 3 Super Bowls during the time they were proven cheating.

They won zero (0) prior.

They have won zero (0) since.

And I said it was the biggest cheating scandal in NFL History... not the "largest in history" as you twisted it.

This is not an arguable point.
    Since there haven't been any other "cheating scandals" in NFL history, hard not for it to be the biggest.

=Z=
    Good point. There is pleanty of cheating in the NFL (isn't steriods cheating), but this is really the only time an organization has been found guilty of it. So yeah, I guess it is the biggest.

Still pretty minimal advantage overall. Especially when the rule isn't against videotaping the defensive signals - it is against videotaping the defensive signals from the opposing team's sidelines. Teams can (and do) still video tape the coaches from several other vantage points in the stadium.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re:GOODELL SIGNS 5-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION

NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    BadlandsVikings wrote:
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/latest/goodell-signs-5-year-contract-extension
    Just reading that. Now for the people that were angry at Childress' extension this one takes the cake. Owners unanymously voted for this. Pretty amazing to me when the players aren't real happy with the guy. This guy is ruining the game imo. He shows nothing but inconsistencies.
    Such as?

=Z=

He's also expressed no concern with the way the rules are enforced despite fan backlash. Which is seriously disappointing to me. The day he addresses the officiating problems plaguing the NFL is the day I'm on his bandwagon. If you want to ruin the game by allowing new rules to be implemented, at least hire guys who can interpret them properly, and make them full time FFS.

He also covered up probably the largest cheating scandal in NFL history because he's buddies with Kraft. Just an aside.

(It WAS cheating - but the largest in history? I think that is a little overstated considering the minimal advantage that it gave the Pats...)
    lol... "minimal" advantage. They won 3 Super Bowls during the time they were proven cheating.

They won zero (0) prior.

And I said it was the biggest cheating scandal in NFL History... not the "largest in history" as you twisted it.

lol. Sorry, largest in NFL history. And they were only proven cheating in 2007. I don't remember them winning 3 Super Bowls that year...

I don't think you understand what the term "arguable" means.
    Hmm... former staff said it was going on since 2000 plust there was a video of the Rams' walk through before the Super Bowl that mysteriously disappeared.

Either way, believe whatever you'd like. The evidence is pretty clear though.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    BadlandsVikings wrote:
    Such as?

They won zero (0) prior.

Since there haven't been any other "cheating scandals" in NFL history, hard not for it to be the biggest.
    Good point. There is pleanty of cheating in the NFL (isn't steriods cheating), but this is really the only time an organization has been found guilty of it. So yeah, I guess it is the biggest.

Still pretty minimal advantage overall. Especially when the rule isn't against videotaping the defensive signals - it is against videotaping the defensive signals from the opposing team's sidelines. Teams can (and do) still video tape the coaches from several other vantage points in the stadium.
    A search for "NFL Scandals" showed no other incidents which put the outcome of games into question. Whether or not one or more players were 'roided up, if examined, would probably eclipse that if you could go back in time and look at results. But, as they say, everyone was doing it in the 70s, so it doesn't appear (to me) to have given one team an advantage over another.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Zeus wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    BadlandsVikings wrote:
    Such as?

They won zero (0) prior.

A search for "NFL Scandals" showed no other incidents which put the outcome of games into question. Whether or not one or more players were 'roided up, if examined, would probably eclipse that if you could go back in time and look at results. But, as they say, everyone was doing it in the 70s, so it doesn't appear (to me) to have given one team an advantage over another.

=Z=
    I can live with that. I think the same applies to the video taping. Before 2007 many teams were doing it, and every team had the capability to, so any advantage was largely null. Goodell issues his warning in the offseason before 2007, and the Pats were the only organization stupid enough to do it anyway (against a hated rival who knew they routinely did it no less).
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    BadlandsVikings wrote:
    Such as?

They won zero (0) prior.

=Z=
    I can live with that. I think the same applies to the video taping. Before 2007 many teams were doing it, and every team had the capability to, so any advantage was largely null. Goodell issues his warning in the offseason before 2007, and the Pats were the only organization stupid enough to do it anyway (against a hated rival who knew they routinely did it no less).
    And in the words of Mike Holmgren (someone much more educated in this subject than any of us) "That's simply not true..."

You're opinions are based on some notion you believe to be true with no facts to back it up.

Blog Entries

C Mac D wrote:
    Hmm... former staff said it was going on since 2000 plust there was a video of the Rams' walk through before the Super Bowl that mysteriously disappeared.

I actually have no doubt that it was going on sice 2000. Whether or not it was cheating is debatable, as it whether or not the Pats were the only team doing it.

Oh and in order for a video to mysteriously disappear, it needs to exist in the first place.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3386162
    A Patriots employee from 1997-2003, Walsh reached an agreement to turn over the tapes in exchange for being indemnified from all future legal fees.

The list of the Walsh tapes indicates that the Patriots taped offensive and defensive coaches in regular-season games against the Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and San Diego Chargers. The team also made video of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2002 AFC Championship Game.

Walsh's tapes do not include the video of the St. Louis Rams' walk-through before the 2002 Super Bowl, as reported by the Boston Herald.

"Mr. Walsh has never claimed to have a tape of the walk-through," said Walsh's lawyer Michael Levy, according to the Times. "Mr. Walsh has never been the source of any of the media speculation about such a tape. Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article."
    Tape 1: Signals vs. Miami (Sept. 25, 2000)
    The tape is labeled Sept. 25, but the actual game was on Sept. 24. That day in Miami, the Patriots lost to the Dolphins, 10-3, and dropped to 0-4. New England also lost its season finale to Miami, 27-24, on Christmas Eve. The Patriots finished 5-11.

Tapes 2-3: Miami defensive and offensive signals (Oct. 7, 2001)
    The Patriots lost 30-10 at Miami to drop to 1-3. The Pats gained 149 total yards and fell to 6-14 overall under Belichick. (They're 99-26 since.) In a Dec. 22 rematch, the Pats gained 313 yards and didn't commit a turnover, winning 20-13 to improve to 10-5. Miami had three turnovers.

Tape 4: Buffalo signal camera (Nov. 11, 2001)
    The Patriots beat the Bills 21-11 to improve to 5-4. The Patriots were actually outgained in this game, 242-205. In the rematch at Buffalo on Dec. 16, the Pats won, 12-9, and outgained the Bills, 335-310. Since this Nov. 11 tape, New England is 13-1 against Buffalo.

Tape 5: Coaches' signals vs. Cleveland (Dec. 9, 2001)
    The Patriots won 27-16. New England barely outgained the Browns, 290-277. The Browns, however, turned the ball over four times. The teams didn't play again until Oct. 26, 2003, when the Pats won 9-3. Starting with that 2001 win, New England is 4-0 against Cleveland.

Tapes 6-7: Signals vs. Pittsburgh (Jan. 27, 2002)
    In the AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh, the Patriots were nine-point underdogs, and Tom Brady was knocked out with an injured leg in the first half. However, Drew Bledsoe came in and led the Pats to a 24-17 win, thanks to a Troy Brown 55-yard TD punt return and a 60-yard return of a blocked FG for a TD. The Patriots intercepted Steelers QB Kordell Stewart three times, and Pittsburgh running backs were held to just 19 yards. Starting with that win, the Patriots are 5-1 against the Steelers, including a 30-14 win in the 2002 season opener.

Tape 8: Third camera vs. San Diego (Sept. 29, 2002)
    New England lost at San Diego 21-14, its first loss of the season after a 3-0 start. Despite the loss, the Pats outgained the Chargers, 440-342. New England didn't play San Diego again until Oct. 2, 2005 and lost, 41-17. The Patriots have won all three games against the Chargers since.
    Well there I go, using those pesky facts again...

BTW, let me help you out a bit. If you want to go down the cheating route, you should really focus on the fact that the Pats played the Rams in week 10 of that season - a game in which the Rams won. I think it is more than reasonable to assume that the Pats video taped the signals from that game, and that probably DID give them an advantage in the Super Bowl. Whether or not it was cheating is debatable (since it wasn't against the rules at the time), but at a minimum it was unethical.

You see, you CAN make logical arguments without going overboard every time...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries

C Mac D wrote:
    You're opinions are based on some notion you believe to be true with no facts to back it up.
    Pot meet kettle. Kettle, Pot.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:

I actually have no doubt that it was going on sice 2000. Whether or not it was cheating is debatable, as it whether or not the Pats were the only team doing it.

Oh and in order for a video to mysteriously disappear, it needs to exist in the first place.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3386162
    A Patriots employee from 1997-2003, Walsh reached an agreement to turn over the tapes in exchange for being indemnified from all future legal fees.

The list of the Walsh tapes indicates that the Patriots taped offensive and defensive coaches in regular-season games against the Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and San Diego Chargers. The team also made video of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2002 AFC Championship Game.

Walsh's tapes do not include the video of the St. Louis Rams' walk-through before the 2002 Super Bowl, as reported by the Boston Herald.

"Mr. Walsh has never claimed to have a tape of the walk-through," said Walsh's lawyer Michael Levy, according to the Times. "Mr. Walsh has never been the source of any of the media speculation about such a tape. Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article."
    Tape 1: Signals vs. Miami (Sept. 25, 2000)
    The tape is labeled Sept. 25, but the actual game was on Sept. 24. That day in Miami, the Patriots lost to the Dolphins, 10-3, and dropped to 0-4. New England also lost its season finale to Miami, 27-24, on Christmas Eve. The Patriots finished 5-11.

Tapes 2-3: Miami defensive and offensive signals (Oct. 7, 2001)
    The Patriots lost 30-10 at Miami to drop to 1-3. The Pats gained 149 total yards and fell to 6-14 overall under Belichick. (They're 99-26 since.) In a Dec. 22 rematch, the Pats gained 313 yards and didn't commit a turnover, winning 20-13 to improve to 10-5. Miami had three turnovers.

Tape 4: Buffalo signal camera (Nov. 11, 2001)
    The Patriots beat the Bills 21-11 to improve to 5-4. The Patriots were actually outgained in this game, 242-205. In the rematch at Buffalo on Dec. 16, the Pats won, 12-9, and outgained the Bills, 335-310. Since this Nov. 11 tape, New England is 13-1 against Buffalo.

Tape 5: Coaches' signals vs. Cleveland (Dec. 9, 2001)
    The Patriots won 27-16. New England barely outgained the Browns, 290-277. The Browns, however, turned the ball over four times. The teams didn't play again until Oct. 26, 2003, when the Pats won 9-3. Starting with that 2001 win, New England is 4-0 against Cleveland.

Tapes 6-7: Signals vs. Pittsburgh (Jan. 27, 2002)
    In the AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh, the Patriots were nine-point underdogs, and Tom Brady was knocked out with an injured leg in the first half. However, Drew Bledsoe came in and led the Pats to a 24-17 win, thanks to a Troy Brown 55-yard TD punt return and a 60-yard return of a blocked FG for a TD. The Patriots intercepted Steelers QB Kordell Stewart three times, and Pittsburgh running backs were held to just 19 yards. Starting with that win, the Patriots are 5-1 against the Steelers, including a 30-14 win in the 2002 season opener.

Tape 8: Third camera vs. San Diego (Sept. 29, 2002)
    New England lost at San Diego 21-14, its first loss of the season after a 3-0 start. Despite the loss, the Pats outgained the Chargers, 440-342. New England didn't play San Diego again until Oct. 2, 2005 and lost, 41-17. The Patriots have won all three games against the Chargers since.
    Well there I go, using those pesky facts again...

BTW, let me help you out a bit. If you want to go down the cheating route, you should really focus on the fact that the Pats played the Rams in week 10 of that season - a game in which the Rams won. I think it is more than reasonable to assume that the Pats video taped the signals from that game, and that probably DID give them an advantage in the Super Bowl. Whether or not it was cheating is debatable (since it wasn't against the rules at the time), but at a minimum it was unethical.

You see, you CAN make logical arguments without going overboard every time...
    lol... are you saying that because they didn't go undefeated every year that the cheating didn't help?

Oh man... lol, that's funny. Pull the veil back over your eyes.

Bottom line:
    They were proven cheating.
    They won three Super Bowls during this time.
    They had won zero prior.
    They had won zero since.
    Goodell and Kraft were friends prior to Goodell becoming Commissioner.

Again, pesky facts.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

NodakPaul wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    BadlandsVikings wrote:
    Such as?

=Z=

I'm pretty certain your first two assertions are true.

I would like to see the coaching staffs held to the same behavioral expectation as the players.

I realize the coaching staffs are not under the same contractual agreement as players.

But the dichotomy of holding players to a higher standard is objectionable to this fan.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    BadlandsVikings wrote:
    Such as?

=Z=

My only thing here is that if you want to blame Goddell for something like this why are Rozelle and Tagliabue regarded as good/great commissioners when they did nothing against it and fines, officiating etc have long been issues unaddressed?

Personally, I like the fact that he is setting a standard by which players must be accountable. To me player conduct was an issue that was previously unaddressed and I am very glad that they are taking such a hard line stance. Can you imagine doing any of the things some NLF'ers are charged with and having your boss turn a relative blind eye? Sure isn't my place of employment.

I would futher state that although he makes the decision as to who is the VP of Officiating and how rules are administered, in the current system (and History) we have not had full time refs. This goes back long before Goddell, if we want to point blame then this needs to be equally spread among former commissioners, the competition commitee (coaches/owners), as well as the players as they have reps who are to address the concerns of players in the proper forum.

I think that the owners are an influential group, but not enough to fully sway Goddell. I like him, I like he has taken pay cuts, and he seems to be open to both player, owner concerns, as well as NFL Alumni.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast