Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    People continue to slam Goodell for this, and then ignore his reasoning:

    "I think it was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions, to make sure that bit of information would not appear anywhere again," he said. "If it did, I'd know they didn't hand me all the information. Not having those tapes out there, now I know if something arises, they didn't tell me the truth."
    Basically, he already suspected he had a leak in the league office because the Jets tape got out.
    If the league held onto the tapes, then if any of them popped up on YouTube the Patriots could just claim that someone must have gotten to the league's copy.
    With the (supposedly) all the tapes destroyed, Goodell knows that if one were to resurface then the Patriots were lying to him.
    If that were the case, he could go after the team again.

    Now, you may not agree with his reasoning, but I think it's pretty good.
    And I don't think there's any reason to think there was anything special on those other tapes - just more of the same.
    The rest is just speculation.

    Anyways, Goodell has to act on what he knows and has seen, not on speculation.
    He's a commissioner, not a judge, so maybe he doesn't need to meet any particular 'reasonable doubt' standard, but he at least needs to satisfy himself that any allegations are true before he hands out punishment.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  2. #12
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    This was just plain wrong on Goodell's part. No one should destroy evidence. Who knows when or how the tapes may come into question again. And, it looks like they have. And to use the excuse that other teams do it is also wrong. Two "wrongs" don't make a "right," as the old saying goes.
    But three rights do make a left. ;D
    And two negative make a positive. -2 x -2=4
    "And" means to add, not multiply. Ergo, -2 + -2 = -4.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #13
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    [size=14pt]Senator wants to know why NFL destroyed Patriots spy tapes[/size]
    The answer is obvious..........


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #14
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    782

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    Yeah, because keeping the tapes certainly would have caused harm.

    There was absolutely no reason the tapes needed to be destroyed & could have certainly been put away & locked up.

    He ordered the destruction of evidence, plain & simple.
    Yeah....destroying evidence is what you do when you are hiding something to protect someone. Makes you wonder.....just what was on those tapes??
    I am one of them that prescribes to having an asterik next to there super bowls. And yes it does relate to the present. If they don't win the super bowls, they don't become know as a dynasty. If they don't become known as a dynasty, great players don't take pay cuts to go play there, as well as roster players are not as cooperative with there contracts to stay there. Bottom line, they are not nearly as dominant right now without the rings.

  5. #15
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    "Overlord" wrote:
    People continue to slam Goodell for this, and then ignore his reasoning:

    "I think it was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions, to make sure that bit of information would not appear anywhere again," he said. "If it did, I'd know they didn't hand me all the information. Not having those tapes out there, now I know if something arises, they didn't tell me the truth."
    Basically, he already suspected he had a leak in the league office because the Jets tape got out.
    If the league held onto the tapes, then if any of them popped up on YouTube the Patriots could just claim that someone must have gotten to the league's copy.
    With the (supposedly) all the tapes destroyed, Goodell knows that if one were to resurface then the Patriots were lying to him.
    If that were the case, he could go after the team again.

    Now, you may not agree with his reasoning, but I think it's pretty good.
    And I don't think there's any reason to think there was anything special on those other tapes - just more of the same.
    The rest is just speculation.


    Anyways, Goodell has to act on what he knows and has seen, not on speculation.
    He's a commissioner, not a judge, so maybe he doesn't need to meet any particular 'reasonable doubt' standard, but he at least needs to satisfy himself that any allegations are true before he hands out punishment.
    Well are you not just speculating there was nothing special on those tapes? We haven't seen them, so to say nothing special wan on them is pure speculation.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    People continue to slam Goodell for this, and then ignore his reasoning:

    "I think it was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions, to make sure that bit of information would not appear anywhere again," he said. "If it did, I'd know they didn't hand me all the information. Not having those tapes out there, now I know if something arises, they didn't tell me the truth."
    Basically, he already suspected he had a leak in the league office because the Jets tape got out.
    If the league held onto the tapes, then if any of them popped up on YouTube the Patriots could just claim that someone must have gotten to the league's copy.
    With the (supposedly) all the tapes destroyed, Goodell knows that if one were to resurface then the Patriots were lying to him.
    If that were the case, he could go after the team again.

    Now, you may not agree with his reasoning, but I think it's pretty good.
    And I don't think there's any reason to think there was anything special on those other tapes - just more of the same.
    The rest is just speculation.


    Anyways, Goodell has to act on what he knows and has seen, not on speculation.
    He's a commissioner, not a judge, so maybe he doesn't need to meet any particular 'reasonable doubt' standard, but he at least needs to satisfy himself that any allegations are true before he hands out punishment.
    Well are you not just speculating there was nothing special on those tapes? We haven't seen them, so to say nothing special wan on them is pure speculation.
    I disagree.
    I'm basing my opinion on the statements made by someone (Goodell) that has seen the tapes.
    That's hearsay, but not speculation.
    Anyway, I merely suggested that there's not a good reason to believe there's more than we've been told.
    I did not say there definately was not.

    I believe Goodell because I have no reason not too.
    I've heard nothing of him that suggests he has any history of lies or deceit.
    Despite what many here have posted ("there's no reason to destroy the tapes unless he's trying to hide something"), Goodell specifically gave a reason for why he destroyed the tapes that appears to be very credible.

    But even if you aren't willing to give Goodell the benefit of the doubt, consider everything that had to happen in order for Goodell to be in on some sort of conspiracy here when he destroyed the tapes:
    1. the Patriots had to engage in cheating at a level worse than what has already been revealed (very possible)
    2. the Patriots had to admit to this additional cheating when talking to Goodell (unlikely)
    3. the Patriots had to deliver tapes of this additional cheating to Goodell (very unlikely)
    4. Goodell had to decide to lie/cover it up (unlikely)

    Isn't it more likely that Goodell was never told about anything more than he's talked about?
    Isn't it much more likely that, if the Patriots did in fact cheat in other ways, they destroyed those tapes and never told him about it?
    Isn't it really likely that there's nothing more to Goodell's actions than what he has said?
    I think so.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  7. #17
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    "Overlord" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    People continue to slam Goodell for this, and then ignore his reasoning:

    "I think it was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions, to make sure that bit of information would not appear anywhere again," he said. "If it did, I'd know they didn't hand me all the information. Not having those tapes out there, now I know if something arises, they didn't tell me the truth."
    Basically, he already suspected he had a leak in the league office because the Jets tape got out.
    If the league held onto the tapes, then if any of them popped up on YouTube the Patriots could just claim that someone must have gotten to the league's copy.
    With the (supposedly) all the tapes destroyed, Goodell knows that if one were to resurface then the Patriots were lying to him.
    If that were the case, he could go after the team again.

    Now, you may not agree with his reasoning, but I think it's pretty good.
    And I don't think there's any reason to think there was anything special on those other tapes - just more of the same.
    The rest is just speculation.


    Anyways, Goodell has to act on what he knows and has seen, not on speculation.
    He's a commissioner, not a judge, so maybe he doesn't need to meet any particular 'reasonable doubt' standard, but he at least needs to satisfy himself that any allegations are true before he hands out punishment.
    Well are you not just speculating there was nothing special on those tapes? We haven't seen them, so to say nothing special wan on them is pure speculation.
    I disagree.
    I'm basing my opinion on the statements made by someone (Goodell) that has seen the tapes.
    That's hearsay, but not speculation.
    Anyway, I merely suggested that there's not a good reason to believe there's more than we've been told.
    I did not say there definately was not.

    I believe Goodell because I have no reason not too.
    I've heard nothing of him that suggests he has any history of lies or deceit.
    Despite what many here have posted ("there's no reason to destroy the tapes unless he's trying to hide something"), Goodell specifically gave a reason for why he destroyed the tapes that appears to be very credible.

    But even if you aren't willing to give Goodell the benefit of the doubt, consider everything that had to happen in order for Goodell to be in on some sort of conspiracy here when he destroyed the tapes:
    1. the Patriots had to engage in cheating at a level worse than what has already been revealed (very possible)
    2. the Patriots had to admit to this additional cheating when talking to Goodell (unlikely)
    3. the Patriots had to deliver tapes of this additional cheating to Goodell (very unlikely)
    4. Goodell had to decide to lie/cover it up (unlikely)

    Isn't it more likely that Goodell was never told about anything more than he's talked about?
    Isn't it much more likely that, if the Patriots did in fact cheat in other ways, they destroyed those tapes and never told him about it?
    Isn't it really likely that there's nothing more to Goodell's actions than what he has said?
    I think so.
    Yes it is. All the more reason not to destroy the tapes he had. I'm not buying his story that they could leak to the media. If he puts the tapes in a safe, a safe that he & he only has access to, how does the media get them?

    Now the Senate is talking about investigating it again. What proof he had that there was little of value on them as he stated to back up his claim is now gone.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3228494

    Like I said, it's destruction of evidence.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    People continue to slam Goodell for this, and then ignore his reasoning:

    "I think it was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions, to make sure that bit of information would not appear anywhere again," he said. "If it did, I'd know they didn't hand me all the information. Not having those tapes out there, now I know if something arises, they didn't tell me the truth."
    Basically, he already suspected he had a leak in the league office because the Jets tape got out.
    If the league held onto the tapes, then if any of them popped up on YouTube the Patriots could just claim that someone must have gotten to the league's copy.
    With the (supposedly) all the tapes destroyed, Goodell knows that if one were to resurface then the Patriots were lying to him.
    If that were the case, he could go after the team again.

    Now, you may not agree with his reasoning, but I think it's pretty good.
    And I don't think there's any reason to think there was anything special on those other tapes - just more of the same.
    The rest is just speculation.


    Anyways, Goodell has to act on what he knows and has seen, not on speculation.
    He's a commissioner, not a judge, so maybe he doesn't need to meet any particular 'reasonable doubt' standard, but he at least needs to satisfy himself that any allegations are true before he hands out punishment.
    Well are you not just speculating there was nothing special on those tapes? We haven't seen them, so to say nothing special wan on them is pure speculation.
    I disagree.
    I'm basing my opinion on the statements made by someone (Goodell) that has seen the tapes.
    That's hearsay, but not speculation.
    Anyway, I merely suggested that there's not a good reason to believe there's more than we've been told.
    I did not say there definately was not.

    I believe Goodell because I have no reason not too.
    I've heard nothing of him that suggests he has any history of lies or deceit.
    Despite what many here have posted ("there's no reason to destroy the tapes unless he's trying to hide something"), Goodell specifically gave a reason for why he destroyed the tapes that appears to be very credible.

    But even if you aren't willing to give Goodell the benefit of the doubt, consider everything that had to happen in order for Goodell to be in on some sort of conspiracy here when he destroyed the tapes:
    1. the Patriots had to engage in cheating at a level worse than what has already been revealed (very possible)
    2. the Patriots had to admit to this additional cheating when talking to Goodell (unlikely)
    3. the Patriots had to deliver tapes of this additional cheating to Goodell (very unlikely)
    4. Goodell had to decide to lie/cover it up (unlikely)

    Isn't it more likely that Goodell was never told about anything more than he's talked about?
    Isn't it much more likely that, if the Patriots did in fact cheat in other ways, they destroyed those tapes and never told him about it?
    Isn't it really likely that there's nothing more to Goodell's actions than what he has said?
    I think so.
    Yes it is. All the more reason not to destroy the tapes he had. I'm not buying his story that they could leak to the media. If he puts the tapes in a safe, a safe that he & he only has access to, how does the media get them?

    Now the Senate is talking about investigating it again. What proof he had that there was little of value on them as he stated to back up his claim is now gone.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3228494

    Like I said, it's destruction of evidence.
    This isn't a criminal matter.
    It's not like he's hiding it from the cops.
    I'm pretty sure there's no one getting killed on the videos.
    It was a league matter and he thought he had resolved it.

    As for the tapes not getting out, one of the tapes actually did get leaked.
    I'm not sure his confidence in his staff keeping the things safe might not be as high as yours.

    Again, there is nothing in his past (that I'm aware of) that would suggest he is anything but an honest man.
    To put the blame on him doesn't seem right.
    The Patriots are the ones that broke the rules.
    They're the ones that appear to be engaged in an ongoing cover-up.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  9. #19
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    "Overlord" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    People continue to slam Goodell for this, and then ignore his reasoning:

    "I think it was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions, to make sure that bit of information would not appear anywhere again," he said. "If it did, I'd know they didn't hand me all the information. Not having those tapes out there, now I know if something arises, they didn't tell me the truth."
    Basically, he already suspected he had a leak in the league office because the Jets tape got out.
    If the league held onto the tapes, then if any of them popped up on YouTube the Patriots could just claim that someone must have gotten to the league's copy.
    With the (supposedly) all the tapes destroyed, Goodell knows that if one were to resurface then the Patriots were lying to him.
    If that were the case, he could go after the team again.

    Now, you may not agree with his reasoning, but I think it's pretty good.
    And I don't think there's any reason to think there was anything special on those other tapes - just more of the same.
    The rest is just speculation.


    Anyways, Goodell has to act on what he knows and has seen, not on speculation.
    He's a commissioner, not a judge, so maybe he doesn't need to meet any particular 'reasonable doubt' standard, but he at least needs to satisfy himself that any allegations are true before he hands out punishment.
    Well are you not just speculating there was nothing special on those tapes? We haven't seen them, so to say nothing special wan on them is pure speculation.
    I disagree.
    I'm basing my opinion on the statements made by someone (Goodell) that has seen the tapes.
    That's hearsay, but not speculation.
    Anyway, I merely suggested that there's not a good reason to believe there's more than we've been told.
    I did not say there definately was not.

    I believe Goodell because I have no reason not too.
    I've heard nothing of him that suggests he has any history of lies or deceit.
    Despite what many here have posted ("there's no reason to destroy the tapes unless he's trying to hide something"), Goodell specifically gave a reason for why he destroyed the tapes that appears to be very credible.

    But even if you aren't willing to give Goodell the benefit of the doubt, consider everything that had to happen in order for Goodell to be in on some sort of conspiracy here when he destroyed the tapes:
    1. the Patriots had to engage in cheating at a level worse than what has already been revealed (very possible)
    2. the Patriots had to admit to this additional cheating when talking to Goodell (unlikely)
    3. the Patriots had to deliver tapes of this additional cheating to Goodell (very unlikely)
    4. Goodell had to decide to lie/cover it up (unlikely)

    Isn't it more likely that Goodell was never told about anything more than he's talked about?
    Isn't it much more likely that, if the Patriots did in fact cheat in other ways, they destroyed those tapes and never told him about it?
    Isn't it really likely that there's nothing more to Goodell's actions than what he has said?
    I think so.
    Yes it is. All the more reason not to destroy the tapes he had. I'm not buying his story that they could leak to the media. If he puts the tapes in a safe, a safe that he & he only has access to, how does the media get them?

    Now the Senate is talking about investigating it again. What proof he had that there was little of value on them as he stated to back up his claim is now gone.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3228494

    Like I said, it's destruction of evidence.
    This isn't a criminal matter.
    It's not like he's hiding it from the cops.
    I'm pretty sure there's no one getting killed on the videos.
    It was a league matter and he thought he had resolved it.

    As for the tapes not getting out, one of the tapes actually did get leaked.
    I'm not sure his confidence in his staff keeping the things safe might not be as high as yours.

    Again, there is nothing in his past (that I'm aware of) that would suggest he is anything but an honest man.
    To put the blame on him doesn't seem right.
    The Patriots are the ones that broke the rules.
    They're the ones that appear to be engaged in an ongoing cover-up.
    I'm not accusing Goodell of a cover up. I just think destroying the tapes wasn't his smartest move. If the staff leaked the tape, why did he not take personal possession of them himself & keep them safeguarded?

    Especially when the government is investigating it?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #20
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Goodell defends destroying tapes

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    People continue to slam Goodell for this, and then ignore his reasoning:

    "I think it was the best way to make sure the Patriots followed my instructions, to make sure that bit of information would not appear anywhere again," he said. "If it did, I'd know they didn't hand me all the information. Not having those tapes out there, now I know if something arises, they didn't tell me the truth."
    Basically, he already suspected he had a leak in the league office because the Jets tape got out.
    If the league held onto the tapes, then if any of them popped up on YouTube the Patriots could just claim that someone must have gotten to the league's copy.
    With the (supposedly) all the tapes destroyed, Goodell knows that if one were to resurface then the Patriots were lying to him.
    If that were the case, he could go after the team again.

    Now, you may not agree with his reasoning, but I think it's pretty good.
    And I don't think there's any reason to think there was anything special on those other tapes - just more of the same.
    The rest is just speculation.


    Anyways, Goodell has to act on what he knows and has seen, not on speculation.
    He's a commissioner, not a judge, so maybe he doesn't need to meet any particular 'reasonable doubt' standard, but he at least needs to satisfy himself that any allegations are true before he hands out punishment.
    Well are you not just speculating there was nothing special on those tapes? We haven't seen them, so to say nothing special wan on them is pure speculation.
    I disagree.
    I'm basing my opinion on the statements made by someone (Goodell) that has seen the tapes.
    That's hearsay, but not speculation.
    Anyway, I merely suggested that there's not a good reason to believe there's more than we've been told.
    I did not say there definately was not.

    I believe Goodell because I have no reason not too.
    I've heard nothing of him that suggests he has any history of lies or deceit.
    Despite what many here have posted ("there's no reason to destroy the tapes unless he's trying to hide something"), Goodell specifically gave a reason for why he destroyed the tapes that appears to be very credible.

    But even if you aren't willing to give Goodell the benefit of the doubt, consider everything that had to happen in order for Goodell to be in on some sort of conspiracy here when he destroyed the tapes:
    1. the Patriots had to engage in cheating at a level worse than what has already been revealed (very possible)
    2. the Patriots had to admit to this additional cheating when talking to Goodell (unlikely)
    3. the Patriots had to deliver tapes of this additional cheating to Goodell (very unlikely)
    4. Goodell had to decide to lie/cover it up (unlikely)

    Isn't it more likely that Goodell was never told about anything more than he's talked about?
    Isn't it much more likely that, if the Patriots did in fact cheat in other ways, they destroyed those tapes and never told him about it?
    Isn't it really likely that there's nothing more to Goodell's actions than what he has said?
    I think so.
    Yes it is. All the more reason not to destroy the tapes he had. I'm not buying his story that they could leak to the media. If he puts the tapes in a safe, a safe that he & he only has access to, how does the media get them?

    Now the Senate is talking about investigating it again. What proof he had that there was little of value on them as he stated to back up his claim is now gone.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3228494

    Like I said, it's destruction of evidence.
    No its not the Senate it is a Senator, a Senator who also wanted to go after the Eagles for suspending Terrell Owens and wants to go after the league for setting the TV contracts on behalf of the teams.
    I posted links of his other issues earlier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Goodell defends NFL efforts on concussions to House committee
    By Zeus in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 12:53 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
  3. September Tapes
    By michaelmazid in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 02:03 AM
  4. Game tapes
    By AngloVike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 07:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •