Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Good, bad and worse of NFL offseason

They may have been overpaid but hopefully in 3-5 years, when the vikes are competing for a championship, they will be solid players who are not restricting are cap space. With the success of the NFL inflation is 10-15% so I think it is smart to pay guys a little more upfront so they worth more than the capspace when we need all the cap space we can to sign the 1 or 2 free agents needed to push the team over the top.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:

....Personally though, I like the idea of bringing in another basketball player as a tightend.

They could also stand to bring in a few more choice tightends on the cheerleading squad too.
    :P
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:

....Personally though, I like the idea of bringing in another basketball player as a tightend.

They could also stand to bring in a few more choice tightends on the cheerleading squad too.
    :P
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:
    I guess only 7 million of the contract is guaranteed, and one source I found said the signing bonus was 5 million.
    Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhh!

It makes for a better article to quote the big numbers, even though the actual value of the contract (and the impact on the salary cap) is far less.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I liken it to the draft.

We pay those guys huge amounts based on percieved talent.
    Why can't we trust this staff to go out, evaluate talent and pay them for what they WILL do as a starter when they are given the chance?

And for the hundredth time it just isn't B-chill making these decisions.
    I am sure that Scott and his staff did thier jobs and made recommendations to the STAFF on who/what they needed to fit the scheme.
    Scott Studwell, Director of College Scouting?
    Maybe. He could have remembered him from Shiancoe's draft year. It could likely be Chili too, wouldn't it be the Coach that makes those recommendations you spoke of?

I really don't like it when people underestimate Childress's influence at Winter Park simply because of semantics.
    I can guarantee if he goes to Spiel or Bryz requesting/suggesting a player for his squad they will listen.
    Every team has different power schemes and job titles are different. Childress does not seem like the type of coach that is complacent, we have already seen some of his micromanaging of the team.
    Lets not act like Spielman sits up in his locked tower as ruler of the Vikings roster, and I guarantee that when a prospective FA comes to Winter Park, Coach Childress is present.

Some people don't get the concept that the coach isn't administator of the team though, and I usually just fill in the correct names in those cases.

Anyways, my theory is someone recommended Shiancoe to Spielman.
    Studwell, Childress, whoever, and Spielman happend to feel the same about his potential.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    I guess only 7 million of the contract is guaranteed, and one source I found said the signing bonus was 5 million.
    Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhh!

It makes for a better article to quote the big numbers, even though the actual value of the contract (and the impact on the salary cap) is far less.

=Z=
    Yes, its important to "keep it real" and in perspective of guaranteed money and take a look if how back-loaded it is.

7 mil over 5 years is still a fair amount for an unproven TE if he doesn't work out.

One example and there are plenty more.
    Bubba Franks - 7 years 28 mil, 7 guaranteed.

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

Not to sound like a prick but I am pretty sure Shiancoe makes 8 million this year and it is all fairly low and even after that.
    I am not positive about that but I remember reading that a few weeks after the signing.
    It wouldn't surprise me, Robby B is the cap god.
    I just thought I'd bring it up. Its not as if I looked it up but I do remember hearing that.
    I appoligize for pointing it out, especially if my memory is off.

Its all good GoVikes. I am not sure what your point is though, they would want to pay him later then sooner.
    If the 7 is guaranteed then thats worse then say 2 guaranteed and the other 5 added to his base salary (total contract is the same) where if he sucks they can restructure or cut him, and if he develops he is earning his money.

Shiancoes contract-

7 mil signing bonus
    +
    Base Salary
    2007 1100000.00
    2008 2100000.00
    2009 2100000.00
    2010 2100000.00
    2011 3100000.00

(.7 in bonuses?)

NFLPA

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

I'm really not that sure how it was allocated.
    I appoligize as I mis-read one of your posts.
    I had the impression that you were saying it was all back loaded.
    Sorry about all of this.
    Anyway I just finished my last exams today! Grade 11 is done!!! wooo I gotta go eat 40 wings and an extra large pizza.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12