Good, bad and worse of NFL offseason

[size=13pt]Good, bad and worse of NFL offseason[/size]

June 22, 2007
    By Clark Judge
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Clark your opinion!

....[size=12pt]Five I Don't Like[/size]

Visanthe Shiancoe, TE, Minnesota

Question: Just what, exactly, has he done to merit a five-year, $18.2 million contract? They could've had Daniel Graham. Instead, they settled for a guy who, in four years with the Giants, never had more than 12 catches in a season.

Bobby Wade, WR, Minnesota

Wait a minute: A five-year deal worth $15 million? For what? If I'm Zygi Wilf, I want to see my accountant. Now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the question is, "Did the Vikings pay too much for V-Shi & Wade?"

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Good, bad and worse of NFL offseason

Funny cause its true.

I asked Mike Wobschall the Vikings.com "Opening the Mailbag" author that same question about Shiancoe (more politely and approving though).
    He basically said that it was probably Spielman's call.
    Meanwhile I am still left wondering.

Y'all know how I feel about Bobby Wade. I think he will work for his paycheck, although hes still probably being paid a little too nicely.

We will only find out if they are paying them too much once the season starts (Shiancoe especially has a lot of upside) but the answer to the question of "do their contracts seem excessive considering their history and production?", thats an easy yes.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Cripes, anytime I see what NFL players are earing I get sick to my stomach. But you got to remember, the Vikes set the bar for free agency $$$$ last year and it just shot up this year like a rocket. (Granted, Hutch was worth a ton and these guys aren't.) But it seemed to set a standard. Yes, it's too much but in reality there were a lot of "lousy"
    FA's this year getting that and more. The bar is set.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

I think we may have overpaid a bit, but then again it coudl really end up paying off. Id rather overpay and get someone, then not pay and not have upgraded the offense at all.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I guess only 7 million of the contract is guaranteed, and one source I found said the signing bonus was 5 million.
    Childress may have seen something in Shiancoe since the Eagles played the Giants twice per year.
    I guess I'm willing to wait and see on this one.
    Personally though, I like the idea of bringing in another basketball player as a tightend.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"SKOL" wrote:

....Personally though, I like the idea of bringing in another basketball player as a tightend.

They could also stand to bring in a few more choice tightends on the cheerleading squad too.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:

....Personally though, I like the idea of bringing in another basketball player as a tightend.

They could also stand to bring in a few more choice tightends on the cheeleading squad too.
    I think our cheerleaders underwent a great upgrade last season!
    Maybe it was the outfits . . . or maybe they imported a few beauties . . . but either way the result was much improved!!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

They are being paid way too much.
    It's very simple; when you give a player a contract you are paying them to live up to their expectations.
    Looking at their skill level and previous success can create these expectations.
    I like both signings but Wade and Shiancoe were significantly overpayed.
    This is a case where Childress found some guys he feels are on the edge of breaking out as great players in his offense.
    I am fine with that but I never like overpaying just so Childress can get this sleeper type player that he thinks could pay off and make him look smart in a few years.
    Pay him fairly and give them both 2 year deals. It is worth paying the price to re-sign them after they break out without having too much attached in case they don’t.
    I just don’t like the idea of basing the contract on hope and natural ability.

I would go on but I will leave you the perfect example of how bad this could look.
    Kerry Lighntenberg.
    I know you haven't heard his name but I am a die hard Jays fan and our idiotic GM JP Riccardi spent a few million a year on this nobody because he was convinced he'd look genius.
    Once again, you haven't heard the players name and I'm not sure I spelt it right... no one would notice if I didn't.
    I'm getting way off topic and almost pissed off because Lightenberg is in my thoughts.

I think the signings were good.
    The contracts at the time were not.
    The money certainly doesn't look good now and its unlikely that the players exceed the monetary value that has been placed on them but lets all hope they at least live up to the money they were awarded.
    I hope Bobby and Visanthe make Chilly and Rick look like gods.

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

I think threads die often when Blue Jay analogies are introduced.
    Lesson learned.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I liken it to the draft.

We pay those guys huge amounts based on percieved talent.
    Why can't we trust this staff to go out, evaluate talent and pay them for what they WILL do as a starter when they are given the chance?

And for the hundredth time it just isn't B-chill making these decisions.
    I am sure that Scott and his staff did thier jobs and made recommendations to the STAFF on who/what they needed to fit the scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast