Prophet Guest

The good, bad, and ugly from Sunday

The good, bad, and ugly from Sunday
    Jimmy Johnson / FOXSports.com
    11 September 2006

The first thing I want to say is don't get carried away with anything on the opening day of the season. There are more bizarre things, more upsets, a lot of these games don't run true to form.

Look at Buffalo jumping all over New England and then the Patriots coming back and winning. The Patriots are a good team with poise and they came back.

The thing that fans must understand is that teams never show anything in the preseason. Then, the fans are shocked. I can remember when I coached we would spend one or two practices during the week on the first game of the season. Sometimes, even work on the team we were going to play in the second game. Now, we never told the players this was stuff for the opening-day opponent. After a while they figured it out because we would be practicing all this stuff in the preseason and then never use it in a preseason game.

Falcons are impressive
    The biggest thing is that ex-Jet John Abraham had a great game. But Atlanta's defensive scheme allows him to free up his talents to rush the passer. He's such a dominating pass rusher. He was second to Michael Strahan last season on knockdowns and hurries. The guy has a real talent. And when you have Michael Vick on the offensive side, if you have a solid defense, opposing teams are going to be scared to death.

Jim Mora has done some good things with the Falcons. Bringing in Grady Jackson and two new safeties to shore up the defense are reasons why this team went from being good to maybe special.

Vick will always be a little shaky in my mind. I think he played well Sunday in Carolina. He had a couple touchdown passes, and a couple runs; he will always do something like that. But there's going to be some games that you're going to have to win without Michael Vick being spectacular. If you're going to be a championship team, you are still going to have to play defense, special teams and run the ball.

Warrick Dunn is a different type of small back. I think he fits so well with Atlanta because teams can't close the back-side of the defense because of Michael Vick. Their style of offense with Vick being able to run the ball on the bootlegs keeps teams from squeezing the back-side and stopping the little back. That opens up the hole for Dunn.

For all the people or even players who were hollering for Matt Schaub to be their quarterback, well, he doesn't give that to them. You have to realize what Michael Vick gives you.

No Steve Smith
    I don't downgrade Carolina for losing at home. The Panthers didn't have Steve Smith, who sat out with a hamstring injury. Carolina's success last season was Steve Smith. Let's be honest about it. People want to rave about Jake Delhomme, which is rightfully so, and rave about their defense, which is solid, but really their success last season was Steve Smith. And he wasn't in the lineup today. And when you take Smith out of there against an improved Atlanta team, this can happen. You throw Steve Smith in there and maybe it's a lot tighter ballgame.

The Cowboys Aren't Awful
    I think the Dallas psyche with Bill Parcells will always be solid. He's a grinder. He's going to keep them going. He's going to keep their heads up. And they are still good. I think defensively they are a really good football team. Offensively, they are very dangerous depending on protection for Drew Bledsoe and turnovers.

I don't know if the fans will be screaming for Tony Romo this week. But in today's game you have to have mobility with your quarterback. If you don't have mobility with your quarterback, you have to be extremely good in all phases.

Peyton Manning gets away with some of it because the Colts are really good at their skilled positions; they put a lot of money into their offensive positions. But even Indy struggles. They have struggled some in the big games against good teams, especially in bad weather. Your quarterback has to have some mobility and Bill knows that. The Jaguars pressured Bledsoe and forced him into some bad throws and that happens.

What I did see on the positive side for Dallas is that teams are going to be scared to death of their receivers. Terry Glenn is still very good. Like him or hate him, Terrell Owens is so scary. When he started that game the defensive backs for Jacksonville were in shock. He is so physical after the catch.

I said on the pregame show that the Jaguars would roll all their coverages toward T.O., but you can't practice and prepare for somebody that big and that physical. They tried to jam him and couldn't do it. They tried to be physical with him and they couldn't tackle him. I mean, he really is good. You may not like him, but he's good.

Fun in the Desert
    I don't know how good Arizona's record is going to be, but the Cardinals truly have some stars that you need to take notice of. Everybody knows about running back Edgerrin James, but fans don't really know Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. And Kurt Warner still has some gas in the tank and they have Matt Leinart behind him. Leinart is going to be a good player. They are really a pretty good offensive team.

The Cardinals are going to be fun to watch. Dennis Green is the perfect coach for this team; he's not going to grind them. He doesn't stand on the sidelines with a big, old scowl on his face. He's not that type of guy. He's going to be a fun coach to play for.

Rams and Bengals
    I was surprised a little that the Rams beat the Broncos. Scott Linehan must be a pretty good coach. The Rams could be an interesting team this season.

The Bengals are a legitimate Super Bowl team. You know that Marvin Lewis will have them play solid defensively, even though they struggled a year ago in a lot of games. But we all know that Marvin Lewis still knows how to coach defense.

Offensively, they have stars. Now, Terry Bradshaw and I argued about this on the pregame show, but I think stars win games. You still have to have the chemistry, you still have to have the attitude and discipline, but you also need stars, especially if you want to win some championships.

Don't knock Jacksonville
    I know that a lot of people thought Jacksonville had a shaky 12-4 record a year ago. People point to Houston and Tennessee being in their division. But stuff like happens all the time.

Well, after beating the Cowboys, that 12-4 record from a year ago is not that shaky. Hey, this bunch is pretty good. Coach Jack Del Rio explained it extremely well on the pregame show. Byron Leftwich protects the ball and he wins games, and he fits into their schemes. The Jaguars play strong defense, special teams and pound the football. All Leftwich does is win games. If you protect him, Leftwich can throw the football. He does have a rocket arm, the delivery is just slow. He's a very deliberate passer.

The Good and the Bad
    Chicago looks like a team that might be really good if Rex Grossman can protect the ball. Without question, he can throw it and get yardage and points. But is he good enough to protect it? With that defense, the only thing that will get them into trouble is Groosman's ability to do the right things with the ball.

On the other side, this Green Bay team looks terrible. I know I won't be the first one to say it and I won't be the last but, shoot, what's going to happen there? You look at Green Bay and Brett Favre and that whole operation and it's all question mark, question mark and question mark.

Now they are talking about signing wide receiver Koren Robinson. Why sign a problem when you're as bad as the Packers? Sign a risk when you have a chance to get to the next level. You mean, they want to sign Koren Robinson so they can win six games instead of four? I don't think that makes sense.

headtrip is offline Rookie

Re: The good, bad, and ugly from Sunday

"Prophet" wrote:
    Now they are talking about signing wide receiver Koren Robinson. Why sign a problem when you're as bad as the Packers? Sign a risk when you have a chance to get to the next level. You mean, they want to sign Koren Robinson so they can win six games instead of four? I don't think that makes sense.
    Ha.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"headtrip" wrote:

That should read, so you can win 3 games instead of 2!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

True.
    The could draft a real QB or get Adrian Peterson if the keep sucking because they will have
    the first pick.
    Don't improve Quinn is waiting for you.
    We can solve poverty today.

Purple Kool Aid is offline Training Camp

It really isn't fair that the Bears got to play 5 preseason games when the rest of the league started with 4.
    http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

I like how the Falcons came out and played, that was awesome!! They attacked the Panthers at every level. And Vick, oh my god!! Great game from the Falcons.

The Bears, I may have been wrong about the Bears. If they keep playing like that, the NFC Central is back to smash mouth football.

I had to laugh while watching the Cowboys highlights. T.O. played 1 preseason game. Practiced maybe 8 or 9 times with the team, and looked waaaay better than Drew Bledose did. Great job, T.O. Goes to show you that you don't need to play every down in preseason games.

And the Homeboys, University of Minnesota RB's (LM and Marion). Looked great out there. Marion needs more touches. LM is going to be scary!!!

Articnv is offline Coach

preseason means squat in oreason all u do is
    eveulate who your going to plug were.
    Thats it

Purple Kool Aid is offline Training Camp

"Articnv" wrote:
    preseason means squat in oreason all u do is
    eveulate who your going to plug were.
    Thats it
    um articnv - I was inferring that yesterday's game for the Bears was equivelant to a preseason game.
    I really don't care how many actual preseason games they play.
    http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/