Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Giants Sign Will Demps

I think this is a trend. Any FA that we have had come in here that we are really interested in, we sign that person before they are to meet with another team. So I guess it is safe to say,that if that FA goes and meets with another team, that we no longer have interest in him..

Updated: March 15, 2006, 9:43 AM ET
    Giants add safety Demps to rebuilt secondary
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.dom

Continuing their offseason emphasis on adding both quality and quantity to the secondary, the New York Giants have reached contract agreement with unrestricted free agent safety Will Demps, a four-year veteran who had played his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens.

Demps will sign a five-year contract believed to be worth $10 million-$12 million.

He becomes the sixth defensive back, and second starter, added by the Giants in less than a week.

Assuming he is healthy, following a knee injury that sidelined him for the final month of the 2005 season, Demps will start at free safety and team with strong safety Gibril Wilson to give the Giants one of the best young interior secondary tandems in the league. The other new starter acquired in free agency is nine-year veteran cornerback Sam Madison, a four-time Pro Bowl performer.

New York also has added cornerbacks R.W. McQuarters, Jason Bell and Brandon Williams, and safety Quentin Harris in the past week. Last year, general manager Ernie Accorsi concentrated on improving the depth of his team's offensive line, and the approach paid huge dividends as the Giants won the NFC East crown. This offseason, Accorsi clearly targeted the secondary as an area that required an upgrade.

The Giants on Tuesday lost former first-round safety Shaun Williams, who no longer figured into their plans, in free agency, as he signed with Carolina. Starting cornerback Will Allen is expected to leave in free agency and the future of the Giants' other starting corner, Will Peterson, remains uncertain because of a back injury.

Overshadowed in the Ravens' secondary by fellow safety Ed Reed for much of his Baltimore tenure, Demps is an excellent player in his own right, and probably would have been more highly touted in the free agent market were it not for the partially torn left anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in the second half of the 2005 season. Demps missed the final five games of the year, but still finished with 70 tackles, three passes defensed and two fumble recoveries.

A former undrafted free agent from San Diego State, where he also began his career as a walk-on, Demps worked his way into the Ravens' lineup as a rookie. He is a solid competitor with good range and football awareness. In 57 appearances, 46 of them as a starter, Demps has registered 239 tackles, four interceptions, four forced fumbles and four recoveries. The prognosis is that Demps will begin running sometime in May and should be fully rehabilitated by the start of training camp.

The Giants also re-signed veteran offensive tackle Bob Whitfield, a key backup for them in 2005, and No. 2 quarterback Tim Hasselbeck.

Takes yet another player out of our plans..

Giants Sign Will Demps

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Giants Sign Will Demps

Good..

Hope>Tank>Huff>Bing>Ko Simpson

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I think your assessment of the FA visits is probably right.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Giants and Skins remind me of us last year. Just sux that they have Eli "over-raited" Manning as thier QB.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Good..

Didn't Chris Hope already sign with another team???

Heck, I will take Tank Williams anyway...we need another Williams to replace Brian Williams anyway! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

im glad we didnt waste $ on demps.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Good..

Heck, I will take Tank Williams anyway...we need another Williams to replace Brian Williams anyway! :lol:

Hope hasn't signed with anyone yet, as far as I know.. I believe he was visiting with Carolina, or Miami today.. If I find the article, I will post it..

Prophet Guest

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Good..

Hope hasn't signed with anyone yet, as far as I know.. I believe he was visiting with Carolina, or Miami today.. If I find the article, I will post it..
    The only thing I've seen regarding Hope is this:

KFFL
    Texans | Team will meet with Hope
    Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:17:42 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Houston Texans will meet with free agent S Chris Hope (Steelers) Tuesday, March 14.

"Prophet" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Good..

The only thing I've seen regarding Hope is this:

KFFL
    Texans | Team will meet with Hope
    Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:17:42 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Houston Texans will meet with free agent S Chris Hope (Steelers) Tuesday, March 14.

Thanks Prophet. I remember seeing it, just didn't remember where. :grin:

I hope the Vikes got some other appointments scheduled..

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

we NEED a solid SS!!!!!!!!! They cna't just let Chavous go and then njot replace him with a rookie...... Are just just planning on going into the season with a Sharper/Offord combo, or do you think they might pick up Bing in the first round. It might be a little too early. Maybe trade the 2 2nd rounders to move up into the late early 2nd and get him.

Thanks Lotza!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast