Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Giants release Plaxico Burress

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/04/08/wonderlic/index.html?eref=T1

[size=12pt]Burress ruling sets dangerous precedent for disruptive players[/size]
    Ross Tucker
    Posted: Wednesday April 8, 2009 11:47AM; Updated: Wednesday April 8, 2009 1:47PM

The news that Plaxico Burress won his recent grievance hearing against the New York Giants over unpaid bonus money has already been declared a victory by new NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith. That's funny, because as a recently retired player and member of the union, it doesn't really feel like one to me.

I am sick and tired of guys like Larry Johnson, Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, Matt Jones, Terrell Owens and Burress casting a bad light on NFL players by either getting in trouble off the field or being a divisive presence on the field and in the locker room. Their actions bring unwanted negative attention to NFL players, the vast majority of whom are good teammates while in their team's facility and fine citizens in their community. The bad guys overshadow the good guys, plain and simple.

I want there to be as many deterrents to this type of behavior as possible, and if this means teams withholding bonus money, so be it. As far as commissioner Roger Goodell and his discipline is concerned, the harsher the better in my book, especially for repeat offenders. I believe in second chances but third and fourth chances can be a bit too much to stomach. Where else can you do some of these types of things repeatedly and keep your job?
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [size=10pt]Vikings Being Thrown Around In Plaxico Speculation[/size]

http://www.vikingsgab.com/2009/04/09...o-speculation/
    Has that been reported anywhere but in this guy's blog?
    They talked about this on the Sirius and our local sports show down here.
    Okay - I hadn't heard anything about it.
    I don't think anyone will sign Burress until his legal status is resolved.

=Z=
    I agree, problem is, the talking heads listed several teams, including the Vikes as options.....

Bears, Skins, Vikes, 49rs are the ones I remember.
    For some reason everyone seems to think Mike (49rs) is the new coach that can handle problem children as he (the 49rs) is/are linked as a landing spot for Vick as well.

Yutz's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [size=10pt]Vikings Being Thrown Around In Plaxico Speculation[/size]

http://www.vikingsgab.com/2009/04/09...o-speculation/
    Has that been reported anywhere but in this guy's blog?
    They talked about this on the Sirius and our local sports show down here.
    Okay - I hadn't heard anything about it.
    I don't think anyone will sign Burress until his legal status is resolved.

=Z=
    I agree, problem is, the talking heads listed several teams, including the Vikes as options.....

Bears, Skins, Vikes, 49rs are the ones I remember.
    For some reason everyone seems to think Mike (49rs) is the new coach that can handle problem children as he (the 49rs) is/are linked as a landing spot for Vick as well.

Yutz's.
    The Vikings currently seem to be a generally well-functioning and cohesive team, with a sense of brotherhood and unity. Bringing in a guy like Plaxico potentially throws all of that out the window
    Hard to find a top wide receiver that isn't a card carrying member of the prima dona club.

There are some, but seem to be hard to find.

Vikings tried to get Burress awhile before he went to the Giants. No point in pursuing him if he's going to the big house for some R&R.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/04/08/wonderlic/index.html?eref=T1

[size=12pt]Burress ruling sets dangerous precedent for disruptive players[/size]
    Ross Tucker
    Posted: Wednesday April 8, 2009 11:47AM; Updated: Wednesday April 8, 2009 1:47PM

The news that Plaxico Burress won his recent grievance hearing against the New York Giants over unpaid bonus money has already been declared a victory by new NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith. That's funny, because as a recently retired player and member of the union, it doesn't really feel like one to me.

I am sick and tired of guys like Larry Johnson, Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, Matt Jones, Terrell Owens and Burress casting a bad light on NFL players by either getting in trouble off the field or being a divisive presence on the field and in the locker room. Their actions bring unwanted negative attention to NFL players, the vast majority of whom are good teammates while in their team's facility and fine citizens in their community. The bad guys overshadow the good guys, plain and simple.

I want there to be as many deterrents to this type of behavior as possible, and if this means teams withholding bonus money, so be it. As far as commissioner Roger Goodell and his discipline is concerned, the harsher the better in my book, especially for repeat offenders. I believe in second chances but third and fourth chances can be a bit too much to stomach. Where else can you do some of these types of things repeatedly and keep your job?
    =Z=
    Guaranteed money should be guaranteed. If a team doesn't like it they should not put it in the contract, they never complain about it they want it back. Sorry no refunds.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Burress gets two years at sentencing in gun case

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ng-in-gun-case

NEW YORK (AP) - Former Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress tearfully told his family goodbye as he was led away to prison Tuesday after being sentenced to two years on a weapons charge.

Burress was so soft-spoken during his apologetic courtroom address that onlookers could not understand him.

With time off for good behavior, Burress likely will serve 20 months. He could be released from prison as early as the spring of 2011 and will be monitored an additional two years after he is freed

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

One of the biggest problems is that we call it "guaranteed money" when I'm not really sure that is what it is...

Incentive-based escalators are not guaranteed, but I question whether many of these reported contracts consider "guaranteed" money to be base salary plus signing bonuses rather than roster bonuses, etc.

There is a cloudy line as to whether non-incentive based bonuses should really count there.
    I mean, it's a guarantee if it's a "roster bonus" only if you're on the roster... but you don't have to actually DO anything to get that money.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Burress gets two years at sentencing in gun case

"jmcdon00" wrote:

NEW YORK (AP) - Former Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress tearfully told his family goodbye as he was led away to prison Tuesday after being sentenced to two years on a weapons charge.

Burress was so soft-spoken during his apologetic courtroom address that onlookers could not understand him.

With time off for good behavior, Burress likely will serve 20 months. He could be released from prison as early as the spring of 2011 and will be monitored an additional two years after he is freed
    He was very stupid and deserves punishment, BUT 2 years seems a bit harsh especially given that Stallworth is a free man (so to speak) after his crime.
    :-\

Just my opinion though

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Burress gets two years at sentencing in gun case

"Johnson14" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:

He was very stupid and deserves punishment, BUT 2 years seems a bit harsh especially given that Stallworth is a free man (so to speak) after his crime.
    :-\

Just my opinion though
    Seems harsh huh?
    Why don't you try it... you'll be in for the minimum 3 1/2... they won't offer you a 2 year plea deal.

As for Stallworth... if he hadn't had any alcohol in his system, he wouldn't have done any time.
    The guy jumped in front of his vehicle.
    He only served time because of the alcohol.

We can debate whether the punishment fits the crime all day long.
    The facts are this... Plaxico broke the NYC law and received a far lighter sentence than you or I would have for breaking the same law.
    He got off easy.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345