Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Getting sick of Chad Johnson

I think he's entertaining personally. I don't find him to be as offensive as T.O., because it seems to me like Johnson is having fun while TO is just being arrogant. I don't mind his antics.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    If I hear one more thing about how touchdown celebrations are disgraceful I'm going to shoot someone, honestly it is not that big of a deal, and his are more entertaining than anything else. I think it is ridiculous how some people are reacting to something this small.

The Ocho Cinco thing was flat out hilarious, and the man is a great player.

And at least hes no T-HO
    I agree. I celebrate when I do well at my job.

His job is to entertain the fans.

He does that well.

Give him an effin raise.

So says the SnoBum...
    I didn't read any further in the thread than this post...but I disagreed so strongly I had to reply.

Chad Johnson's - and every other NFL player's - job is NOT to "entertain fans".
    His JOB is to help his team win games.
    That's it, that's all.

Back in the day, it was enough to let your play on the field do your talking.
    Barry Sanders never had a touchdown celebration, yet he is regarded by many as argueably the greatest running back of all time.
    He didn't need the spotlight on him any more than it already was.
    He didn't need antics and silly gimics to highlight the fact that he was a fantastic player.

Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, and Terrell Owens do what they do in fun...I get that.
    And sometimes, it's actually amusing (I laughed at Smith's boat rowing antic versus US last season)...but is it neccessary?
    Absolutely not.
    The tricky part is deciding what is over the line and what isn't.

Dancing on the star in Dallas - over.
    The sharpie incident - over.
    The cell phone incident - over.
    Dances involving multiple team members - just plain silly.

How do they contribute in any way, shape, or form to the game of football?
    They don't.
    It's just one more way for some individual to wind up on SportsCenter...and, in my opinion, unneccessary.

Snowinapril posted a beautiful piece about teh Patriots.
    They play as a team.
    They win as a team.
    They lose as a team.
    They've got 3 Superbowl rings in the past 5 years to prove it.

How many Superbowls has Steve Smith won?
    How about Chad Johnson?
    How about T-Hoe?

Kind of makes a point, doesn't it?
    In fact, going back through the list of past superbowl champions, I can't think of ANY of them in the past 10 years that contained show boat players other than Tampa Bay's Warren Sapp.

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmmmmm".

Caine

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Caine, good post, couldn't agree more.

=========================

KFFL
    Bengals | C. Johnson fined $5,000
    Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:36:57 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Cincinnati Bengals WR Chad Johnson has been fined $5,000 by the league for wearing "Ocho Cinco" on a Velcro nameplate across the back of his uniform jersey before the Week 8 game. Johnson wore the nameplate over his real surname during pre-game warmups. QB Carson Palmer ripped off the "Ocho Cinco" nameplate just before kickoff. Johnson is expected to appeal the fine.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

As far as celebrations go, I love em. If it were up to me, the whole team should be allowed to celebrate and do a dance. I don't know about you guys, but my favorite Vikings moment of all time(I've only been a fan since 98) was when Moss caught that TD on ONE LEG and then fake mooned the GB crowd. Now, when he said wuts 10G to me and went on to say next time i might whip my dick out on em, I was pissed. But hey, celebrations are fun, and it should make defenses want to hit harder. If I saw CJ doing the tango after burning me all I would be thinking about is laying him out.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Chad Johnson Quits Bengals to Pursue Solo Career

[img width=149 height=189]http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume5/2006-1108-ochocinco.jpg[/img]

Cincinnati Bengals star Chad Johnson stunned his fellow Bengals this morning by announcing he is leaving them to start up a solo career.

“I had a good run with the Bengals, we had some success, but I’m ready to spread my wings and show I can be a star out on my own,” said Johnson. “These guys have been holding me back.”

Johnson said he intends to be the first single player to compete in the NFL and will begin accepting any an all teams to take him on to complete his 2006 schedule.

“Colts, you want a piece? Bears, you want to go? Chad Johnson will take you down all by himself,” said Johnson. “I don’t have to drag along any dead weight anymore. I’ll throw the ball up to myself, catch it and run it in every time. And defense? Don’t even try to pass the ball against me. I’ll intercept every one and take it to the house. I’ll score 85 points on you all by myself. Colts 0, Chad Johnson 85. Ocho-cinco, baby.”

Johnson has been growing increasingly upset in recent weeks with his role on the Bengals, and after Sunday’s loss to the Ravens loudly complained about not getting enough balls thrown his way. That statement turned out to be his last as a member of the Bengals.

“I decided that my greatness does not deserve to be stifled any longer by jealous people or people who somehow fail to recognize it,” said Johnson. “So the only option was to begin a solo career. And I can guarantee you this: your 2006 Super Bowl XLI champion will be Chad Johnson.”

Many of Cincinnati’s players say they aren’t surprised by Johnson’s decision to go solo.

“I’ve seen this coming for a while,” said quarterback Carson Palmer. “We’d watch film and he’d comment the whole time about how the camera was focusing on me instead of him, or how if he was throwing himself passes he’d have a lot more catches. I’ll miss him being part of the Bengals, but I wish him the best.”

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis says he tried to give Johnson a more prominent role on the team, but it just didn’t work out.

“We didn’t want to lose him – he sells a lot of tickets for us and keeps us in the news – so we tried to give him a bigger slice of the pie,” said Lewis. “But he wasn’t ready for it. He wasn’t catching passes, wasn’t getting open. It was a disaster.”

So with Johnson no longer a prominent face on the Bengals, Lewis says the team will just pick up and move on into a new era.

“We can exist with Chad Johnson and we will,” said Lewis. “We’ll just become more of a true group instead of a team with one very visible component. Hey, Van Halen moved on without David Lee Roth and put out some great albums, and so did Genesis without Peter Gabriel, so I don’t see why we can’t … oh, God, did I just basically admit I listen to Van Halen and Genesis?”

Johnson has been growing increasingly upset in recent weeks with his role on the Bengals, and after Sunday’s loss to the Ravens loudly complained about not getting enough balls thrown his way. That statement turned out to be his last as a member of the Bengals.

“I decided that my greatness does not deserve to be stifled any longer by jealous people or people who somehow fail to recognize it,” said Johnson. “So the only option was to begin a solo career. And I can guarantee you this: your 2006 Super Bowl XLI champion will be Chad Johnson.”

Many of Cincinnati’s players say they aren’t surprised by Johnson’s decision to go solo.

“I’ve seen this coming for a while,” said quarterback Carson Palmer. “We’d watch film and he’d comment the whole time about how the camera was focusing on me instead of him, or how if he was throwing himself passes he’d have a lot more catches. I’ll miss him being part of the Bengals, but I wish him the best.”

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis says he tried to give Johnson a more prominent role on the team, but it just didn’t work out.

“We didn’t want to lose him – he sells a lot of tickets for us and keeps us in the news – so we tried to give him a bigger slice of the pie,” said Lewis. “But he wasn’t ready for it. He wasn’t catching passes, wasn’t getting open. It was a disaster.”

So with Johnson no longer a prominent face on the Bengals, Lewis says the team will just pick up and move on into a new era.

“We can exist with Chad Johnson and we will,” said Lewis. “We’ll just become more of a true group instead of a team with one very visible component. Hey, Van Halen moved on without David Lee Roth and put out some great albums, and so did Genesis without Peter Gabriel, so I don’t see why we can’t … oh, God, did I just basically admit I listen to Van Halen and Genesis?”

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio Guest

"Caine" wrote:
    "SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    If I hear one more thing about how touchdown celebrations are disgraceful I'm going to shoot someone, honestly it is not that big of a deal, and his are more entertaining than anything else. I think it is ridiculous how some people are reacting to something this small.

And at least hes no T-HO

He does that well.

Give him an effin raise.

So says the SnoBum...
    I didn't read any further in the thread than this post...but I disagreed so strongly I had to reply.

That's it, that's all.

Barry Sanders never had a touchdown celebration, yet he is regarded by many as argueably the greatest running back of all time.
    He didn't need antics and silly gimics to highlight the fact that he was a fantastic player.

Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, and Terrell Owens do what they do in fun...I get that.
    And sometimes, it's actually amusing (I laughed at Smith's boat rowing antic versus US last season)...but is it neccessary?
    Absolutely not.

They don't.
    It's just one more way for some individual to wind up on SportsCenter...and, in my opinion, unneccessary.

They play as a team.
    They win as a team.
    They lose as a team.

How about Chad Johnson?
    How about T-Hoe?

In fact, going back through the list of past superbowl champions, I can't think of ANY of them in the past 10 years that contained show boat players other than Tampa Bay's Warren Sapp.

Caine
    I wish his job wasn't to entertain, but I fear with how the NFL has been selling itself the last few years it is going to remain that way.

He is one of the best at what he does and he also brings in $$. If no one was entertained by the NFL no one would pay to watch it and it would not exsist. So we as fans dictate what we see on the field. Obviously some people are entertained by his antics. I bet it is about 50/50.

The NFL is turning into the NBA. Except now the NBA has a no tolerance rule about whining to the refs that some of the players say it takes away from the game. We will see, I wish the NFL would give a 30 yard penalty for celebrations with props at the very least.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Chad Johnson is relatively harmless...a good player that tries to inject humor in his team's success...oh yeah, and get some attention for himself...BUT until he becomes a clubhouse cancer (like T-HO) I have no problem with him.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:

And at least hes no T-HO

He does that well.

Give him an effin raise.

So says the SnoBum...

That's it, that's all.

Absolutely not.

They don't.

They play as a team.
    They win as a team.
    They lose as a team.

How about Chad Johnson?
    How about T-Hoe?

Caine
    I wish his job wasn't to entertain, but I fear with how the NFL has been selling itself the last few years it is going to remain that way.

He is one of the best at what he does and he also brings in $$. If no one was entertained by the NFL no one would pay to watch it and it would not exsist. So we as fans dictate what we see on the field. Obviously some people are entertained by his antics. I bet it is about 50/50.

The NFL is turning into the NBA. Except now the NBA has a no tolerance rule about whining to the refs that some of the players say it takes away from the game. We will see, I wish the NFL would give a 30 yard penalty for celebrations with props at the very least.
    Key words here, we wouldn't pay AS MUCH to watch it.
    Prices are high but the fans watching this crap is driving that price sky high.
    It is giving star power to individuals.

NFL selling itself, more like whoring itself around the world. LOL!
    It is funny how the NFL fines the guy and then the NFLN replays the event over and over and celebrates it.
    Granted there is a difference between celebrating a guy having fun and a guy getting stomped in the face or kneed in the nads. The stomping ones head can't be condoned!

Last but not least, thanks Caine for noticing my post.

Del Rio Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:

And at least hes no T-HO

He does that well.

Give him an effin raise.

So says the SnoBum...

That's it, that's all.

Absolutely not.

They don't.

They play as a team.
    They win as a team.
    They lose as a team.

How about Chad Johnson?
    How about T-Hoe?

Caine

Key words here, we wouldn't pay AS MUCH to watch it.
    Prices are high but the fans watching this crap is driving that price sky high.
    It is giving star power to individuals.

NFL selling itself, more like whoring itself around the world. LOL!
    It is funny how the NFL fines the guy and then the NFLN replays the event over and over and celebrates it.
    Granted there is a difference between celebrating a guy having fun and a guy getting stomped in the face or kneed in the nads. The stomping ones head can't be condoned!

Last but not least, thanks Caine for noticing my post.
    I agree with you, that is what happened to the NBA, and this season I have seen many commercials with KG and Vince Carter saying things like "It takes 5 baby" like this is a team sport. It is called damage control.

If the NFL was worried about Chad Johnson entertaining people they would fine his ass more then $5000. The truth os the matter is two fold:

1)Chad Johnson dancing like a fool makes everyone money. Owners, Chad, NFL. So the fine is like a damage control thing to make the 50% of people who do not like it feel like they give a shit. WHICH they do not.

2)NFL has a strong players Union. So perhaps even if the NFL wanted to lock it down they would have to work very hard to get it done fighting every inch with the Union.

That's hillarious Acumen! It's almost as funny as the real Ocho Cinco LOL.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345