Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

Gene Upshaw: The unintentional negative inpact as NFLPA pres.

NH vikes fan since '69.
    While I realize that Gene Upshaw left an incredible, positive impact on the NFL both as a player, as well as pres. of the NFLPA, we should also take a look at the unintentional, negative inpact.
    This is, in no way shape or form, intended as a slight or insult to Mr. Upshaw.
    I had never met him, and by all accounts from those who have he was a class, intelligent man.
    And from what I saw of him play, he was clearly one of the best pulling guards ever to grace an NFL field.
    These impacts I am pointing out are NOT his fault.

First of all, he was responsible for creating this era of rediculous player salaries.
    A direct result of that is some of the players today hold more power than the coaches--who take the most heat when things go wrong.
    This atmosphere has created all the diva players such as Randy Moss, TO and Ocho-Stinko, etc.
    How many more times must we watch a player who had just made a routine play, while his team is losing by 28 points, jump around like a circus monkey in a selfish display such as, "hey look at me, I'm so awesome--even though we are 4-9 and have no chance of making the playoffs, I don't care as long as I make sportscenter!"
    I don't know about anyone else, but this stuff just drives me nuts!

Secondly, I remember when the NFL was all about "leaving it all on the field" and players played for the love of the game.
    Where would the NFL be today if EVERY player that had ever played, and was ever unhappy with his situation acted like a spoiled child.
    The NFL would be in serious trouble.
    Do you remember when players rarely ran out of bounds?

These huge paydays have ensured that the average joe die-hard NFL fan can never even consider taking his family to see an NFL game live.
    The seats everywhere are full of business cronys who only care about making a business deal, and could not possibly care less about a beloved NFL team.
    (SAD!)

And finally, How many of you people know a regular working person who was seriously injured on the job?
    Did his or her company pay their salary in full?
    Pretty doubtful, right?
    they probably got exactly what every other working stiff got in that situation--workmans comp.
    That is unless they were fortunate enough to be able to afford liability insurance.
    That leads to a good question.
    How many NFL players could afford to pay for liability insurance?
    You know, instead of that shiny new Bentley!
    There are no guarantees in this life, well except for the fact that we will all die someday.
    Playing football for a living is a choice that these guys make.
    Players like Anquan Boldin that sign a contract need to man up and honor that contract.
    Just because Larry Fitzgerald got a better deal--too bad!
    Find a new agent next time.

I would imagine that this post will have greater interest from the "over 40" crowd.
    Please remember--I meant no disrespect to G.U. at all.
    Just giving food for thought.
    Go Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

Re: Gene Upshaw: The unintentional negative inpact as NFLPA pres.

your right.

gene did some great things. and some bad things.

but i dont blame gene for the players.

its the players fault. they are the ones who act up and not the pres. of the player asocc.

but he could have implimented a rookie salery cap. thats one thing the great late gene could have done. thats really the only thing i think gene could have helped with.

Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    your right.

gene did some great things. and some bad things.

but i dont blame gene for the players.

its the players fault. they are the ones who act up and not the pres. of the player asocc.

but he could have implimented a rookie salery cap. thats one thing the great late gene could have done. thats really the only thing i think gene could have helped with.

Again, I know it was not his fault--just looking at the flip side.
    The rookie cap is an interesting subject.
    Here in N. Eng. after Matt Ryan signed that huge contract, everyone started to cry for Tom Brady.
    "How can a rookie possibly make more than the three-time Super Bowl winner, and two-time SB MVP???"
    I was able to give them that answer--in a heartbeat.
    Brady CHOSE to stay in Belichick's womb.
    It was HIS choice!
    Had he left and went somewhere else, he would have surely got that huge payday.
    Nobody to blame but himself, right?
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

The Players deserve the money not the owners... i would rather have the players making 10 mil a year then the owner making most of the money 60% of the money goes to the players... Shouldn't it they are the ones playing.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

"erik5032" wrote:
    The Players deserve the money not the owners... i would rather have the players making 10 mil a year then the owner making most of the money 60% of the money goes to the players... Shouldn't it they are the ones playing.
    +1

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"erik5032" wrote:
    Tell me that again after you have invested almost $800 million in a team.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "erik5032" wrote:
    Tell me that again after you have invested almost $800 million in a team.
    They choose to buy the team, and if for even a second they think they are not going to make as much money as some of the other owners they demand the taxpayers put up the funds for a new stadium. It's an investment, the owners are not guaranteed anything.
    I like the system they have now with a cap based on the average teams revenue. None of the owners are going hungry, and most if not all could easily sell their franchise and make a healthy profit(like McCombs who bought for 250mil and sold for 650 mil a few years later). The only time a team loses money is when they want to lose money in order to get a new stadium(lose 20-50mil get 500mil towards a stadium)
    I would like to see some of the profits(record profits) put towards facility construction and maintenance. NFL network alone must make a good chunk of money. If the NFL started stashing 1 or 2 percent of income in stadium funds, taxpayers would no longer have to pay such a large part of the bill.
    Yes the players get paid alot, but if it was a free market(no salary cap) they would likely make much more(I believe football is more popular than baseball but I have yet to see a player get the 250mil deal A-rod got). Of course the salary cap also helps the players because it makes the NFL more competitive which draws more fans which brings in more money to the teams which raises the salary cap.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

Agents have done more damage than Upshaw ever did. Money for old rope, the more their player gets the more they get. Greed pure and simple.
    Purple till i die