Prophet Guest

Gates.....take a seat.

I love this, the hold-outs are past the point of entertaining. I love that the Chargers are doing this.
    --------------------
    KFFL
    Chargers | Gates Doesn't Report; to Miss Three Games
    Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:34:10 -0700

San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates did not report and sign his contract by the team's 12:30 p.m. PT deadline Saturday, Aug. 20. As a result, the team is placing him on a Roster Exempt list and he will not play in the first three games following the date he signs with the team. As it currently stands, he will miss the team's final two preseason games and the first game of the regular season. The Chargers and Gates' agent, Andre Colona, negotiated throughout the morning but could not reach an agreement on years or compensation. Gates is not comfortable playing for his exclusive rights tender offer.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Gates.....take a seat.

Oh Good.

Maybe we can bring in a 3rd great tight end, have Jimmy K exclusively as a FB. and Run the Rambo formations (2 TE). That would be dominant.

Or even use gates as a slot back, and have Kleinsasser and Wiggins at TE.

Im sure we could figure out some way to fit him in to our offense, we still have the money to afford him, and I'm sure he would love to play on a contending team with a great QB.

TWill19 is offline Rookie

They should give him more money...

next year if he produces. This one year stuff is sickening.

Not to mention Cedric Benson is ridiculous.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    Oh Good.

Maybe we can bring in a 3rd great tight end, have Jimmy K exclusively as a FB. and Run the Rambo formations (2 TE). That would be dominant.

Im sure we could figure out some way to fit him in to our offense, we still have the money to afford him, and I'm sure he would love to play on a contending team with a great QB.
    Where does picking up Gates enter the scenario? They won't trade him and we don't need a high priced TE.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Mr Anderson" wrote:
    Oh Good.

Where does picking up Gates enter the scenario? They won't trade him and we don't need a high priced TE.
    No way would they trade him. In their minds that would be like "letting him win", just like trading T.O. would have let him win for the Eagles. Nope, they'll let him rot, even though they should renegotiate.

natethegreat is offline Pro-Bowler

im suprised the eagles don't do this with T.O. , but im not sure if they can do it because im thinking if they were able to suspend him they probably would have done so earlier

Justin311 is offline Rookie

Gates has a one year deal with 300k because he has ZERO nfl experience, the guy played basketball in college. Unlike TO and Hines, he has nothing to back it up except one year. Right now he still believes he has the Chargers by the huevos cause his agent tells him the team will suck without him. It's a chess match. Unlike TO his money is already guaranteed so even if he does sit out, he gets a paycheck. But no matter what the later he shows up, the later his 3 game suspension is.

IMHO i think he wants to do what Emmitt did back in 93..see how they do after the first 2 games and if soo who flinches.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

I say pay the guy ... knowing some of the money other less productive players are making he deserves it ....

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

He's signed now: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-gates&prov=ap&type=lgns