Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Garcia to test the market

POSTED 10:00 a.m. EST; UPDATED 11:11 a.m. EST, January 24, 2007

GARCIA TO TEST THE MARKET
    pft.com

In a development that could go a long way toward defusing the current controversy regarding whether quarterback Donovan McNabb is unhappy with the Eagles, backup Jeff Garcia said on The Tonight Show that he plans to hit the free-agent market.

"I'll definitely be testing the waters," Garcia said, according to Don McKee of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
    "I've got to see what's out there."

Our first question is this:
    What the hell was Jeff Garcia doing on The Tonight Show?

Next question:
    Why is it that Eagles coach Andy Reid slapped a muzzle on McNabb, but Garcia gets a national audience?

Of course, McNabb will get a chance to talk soon enough.
    As our friends Glen Macnow and Angelo Cataldi both pointed out during separate visits with them on WIP in Philly, McNabb is contractually obligated to conduct a press conference in the run-up to the Super Bowl as part of his Chunky Soup deal.
    And we have a feeling that McNabb won't be asked many questions about the Tantalizin' Turkey Chili (which actually is pretty good).

[UPDATE:
    A member of PFT Planet from here in Clarksburg, W. Va. says that McNabb should consider conducting his Chunky press conference while doing sit-ups in a driveway.]

Regardless of what McNabb says next week, every moment that passes without a statement from him refuting recent reports of rancor suggests that the reports are accurate -- and/or that he has no interest in backing up his head coach, Andy Reid, who attempted to throw water on the stories on Tuesday.

Our guess is that the Eagles are hoping that the next five or six weeks will pass without incident, like a guy who squeaked out a silent one in a loaded car and who prays that no one notices the smell.
    The best outcome for the Eagles is for Garcia to get a significant financial offer to become the starter in Minnesota or Tampa.
    Then, A.J. Feeley would rise to the No. 2 position on the depth chart, and McNabb would be able to remove whatever stick might be residing in his rectal crevice.

We used to believe that the Eagles should fairly be criticized for not signing Garcia, who arrived in 2006, to a multi-year deal.
    But it now appears that, in light of the pile of poo in the middle of the living room that no one will officially acknowledge, the ability of the team to let Garcia walk away is the only way to maintain long-term love with the starting quarterback.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: Garcia to test the market

I really like the play of Garcia this season when he stepped in for McNabb - we know he knows the system or can adjust to it quickly.. however he's a 37 yo man throwing himself into linebackers and safetys when he scrambles.. GUY CANNOT SLIDE!.. and thats going to get punished soon.. so i dont want to give him much in guarenteed money - however i would have no problem if we brought him in for a bargain contract..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Sign him up, let him battle TJack for a starting spot.
    If he wins out, TJack gets another year to elevate his skills to NFL caliber.
    If he doesn't, we have a semi solid veteran backup.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Exactly.I honestly beleive unless a team like Tampa throws him ALOT of money (which they could) he has a strong chance to play here.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Why do you want Garcia besides Philly he hasn't had a good season in 4 years.
    He looked terrible his last couple of years in San Fran, he was terrible in Cleveland and terrible in Detroit.
    When he took over in Philly they were already the number 1 offense in the NFL and so he was just going with the flow.

Do you think that he would walk in and make the Viking's offense instant Superbowl contenders?

I don't think he would, and he is going to be 37 years old by the start of next season so we exchange a 38 year old QB for a 37 year old QB?

I hope the Vikes don't go after him becasue I don't think he is the answer for Minnesota, but that is just my opinion.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Yup. I see no problem with that. The other options are let Tarvaris and Brooks battle it out in training camp and have one of them start next season (which doesn't sound too promising) or bring in a younger guy like David Carr (who would probably be here for a while) but then where does that leave Tarvaris in the long-term. I'm interested to see if Childress is really going to let Tarvaris and Brooks battle it out like he has said.
    Even babies know the difference.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"whackthepack" wrote:
    He looked terrible his last couple of years in San Fran, he was terrible in Cleveland and terrible in Detroit.
    When he took over in Philly they were already the number 1 offense in the NFL and so he was just going with the flow.

Do you think that he would walk in and make the Viking's offense instant Superbowl contenders?
    I don't think he would, and he is going to be 37 years old by the start of next season so we exchange a 38 year old QB for a 37 year old QB?

I hope the Vikes don't go after him becasue I don't think he is the answer for Minnesota, but that is just my opinion.
    I don't think anybody in their right mind would think that Garcia alone will bump us into the "Superbowl Contender" category.
    He can't be too much of a stepdown (if any) from TJack.
    So therefore our odds of being a better team are increased.
    And thats not to bash on TJack as I am a big fan of his, but reality states that he is a young and extremely inexperienced/raw QB thats all.
    I'm not confident that he is ready to lead us through an entire season.
    I'd like to see a veteran on the squad...Brooks doesn't count.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

This is a nice, intelligent discussion going on. I don't think there is anything to lost by getting Garcia. He is by far the best option for getting a QB in the offseason unless we pull a trade.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

I wouldn't mind him at all. He sure doesn't look like he's 37 when he scrambles, plus he always plays with fire. He always reminds me of an underdog cuz he's kinda small, but never loses that drive. If we don't get any significant recievers in FA or the draft it will be a waste of money though.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

I don't think anybody in their right mind would think that Garcia alone will bump us into the "Superbowl Contender" category.
    He can't be too much of a stepdown (if any) from TJack.
    So therefore our odds of being a better team are increased.
    And thats not to bash on TJack as I am a big fan of his, but reality states that he is a young and extremely inexperienced/raw QB thats all.
    I'm not confident that he is ready to lead us through an entire season.
    I'd like to see a veteran on the squad...Brooks doesn't count.

The difference is if it takes 2 years to get the offense back to being able to contend for a Superbowl going into that season Garcia would be 39 years old, so then you put T-Jack in and he hasn't played for 2 years and then you have to wait for him to get some experience under his belt and you waste another year.

So we are 4 years down the road before we have a shot at the Superbowl.

So start T-Jack and see if you have a QB for the future and by the time the Viking's get their offense together we have gone through the growing pains at QB and hopefully we have a QB that is able and ready to lead us to a Superbowl going into his prime rather than a QB that is over the hill at that point and ready to retire.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast