Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game in the UK

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Game in the UK

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    i heard on pti that they will prolly be playing in london. dont know if wimbly stadium is in london or not tho
    yep Wembley Stadium is in North West London
    Just thought you'de like to know about a nice little tid bit...

I have an Original, poster of the first ever played NFL preseason game out of the USA....It took place at Wembley Stadium....and guess who it was..

Vikings VS Cardinals.......

I can't remember the exact date, and can't look at it, I gave it as a Christmas present to a sports club I belong to for a gift.....It now hangs there in a nice frame, among some other great NFL memorabilia....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    i heard on pti that they will prolly be playing in london. dont know if wimbly stadium is in london or not tho
    yep Wembley Stadium is in North West London
    Just thought you'de like to know about a nice little tid bit...

I have an Original, poster of the first ever played NFL preseason game out of the USA....It took place at Wembley Stadium....and guess who it was..

Vikings VS Cardinals.......

I can't remember the exact date, and can't look at it, I gave it as a Christmas present to a sports club I belong to for a gift.....It now hangs there in a nice frame, among some other great NFL memorabilia....
    August 6th 1983

I used to have one of those - not sure where it went :cry: What I do have though is the game programme though

Now here is a bit of useless information. In the player photographs it shows a picture of Scott Studwell with the name Sammy White against it.. and Sammy White's pic with the name Scott Studwell...

someone didn't proof-read the programme !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

My memory of that game (1983) was of Curtis 'Boo Boo' Rouse. After the game the cameras focussed on the field where he was mobbed by a bunch of people who couldn't believe how huge he was.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"UKVikingMike" wrote:
    Theres been alot of speculation over here (England) about the possibilty of the NFL hosting a game at the new Wembley stadium. Does anyone think this will happen. I know we launched a bid to the NFL in sept to host a game.
    http://www.nfluk.com/news-display.php?id=1445

I would love to see some teams come over for a game, but am aware of the jet-lag problems and the implications this would have on a teams preperation for a regular season game. Would anyone object to the Vikings having to play a game overseas?
    That would be interesting to see. I'm sure there would be a variety of fans from multiple nations who'd come to see it. The NFL isn't that popular in Europe, but it has an extremely devout cult following. Sometimes I watch NFL Europe games on NBC just to see shots of the fans.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

One rumour I heard was that there would be 1 game per season played overseas. Every team would have to agree to lose 1 home in rotation (but this would be on a 32 year cycle). The other thing was both teams would be on a bye week the following weekend.

As for the London game a spokesperson for the NFL speaking on UK tv during the Pro-bowl said it had an 80% chance of happening, and it would be 2 AFC teams with superbowl potential.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

To be honest, as a season ticket holder, I wouldn't mind giving up a game to our friends across the pond - But that's just me. Each game costs me $440 american ($110 times 4 seats). My season tickets would just be that much cheaper that year.

We'd also have to make sure the Europeans would chear for "the home team" though. :wink:

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I've already got myself ready to move whenever the London game is announced, but one thing that the game is dependent on that has not been mentioned here is the new Wembley Stadium being completed sometime soon. It won't be finished til March at the earliest, and any further delays on completion will obviously have a massive impact on negotiations to host an NFL game.

That being said, it'll be a stadium any NFL franchise would be proud to call home. Not that I'm saying a team will move there permanently (the prospect of that is laughable), but the new Wembley is going to be one of the greatest all-purpose stadiums (ie: football, American Football, track and field, concerts etc) in the world. 90,000 capacity plus the best facilities of any stadium in the country.. Sorry, I promise you I'm NOT being paid to say all this, but when I walked past it a month ago I couldn't help but feel a sense of national pride.. Even if the company building it is Australian!!

Bringing the Giants over here would be great justice in the Karma sense, but it would be tantamount to the NFL Top Brass (ie: Paul Tagliabue) admitting they screwed-up with regards to the Giants @ Saints @ Giants game last year, so don't expect that to happen. I'd expect to see a team that rarely sells out at home, is not competitive in the NFL, or a franchise that wants a new stadium. The risk with sending an uncompetitive franchise is that it might not attract the audiences. A friend of mine and I were spit-balling about this last week when I first heard the story, and I mooted the idea of the Titans.. Now I'm going somewhere with this..

My point was; while the Titans are financially sound and sell out in Tennessee and are not competitive and don't need a new stadium (failing all the criteria I just specified) their prospective draft pick (Vince Young) could automatically bring in the fans. Could you imagine the PR coup if Vince Young made his debut in Wembley?! While there are not many NFL fans in Europe, we have to do our own research and be very educated in what is going because we're not going to find out what is going on in the sport on the BBC website or in The Sunday Times. This led me to believe that most European fans of the NFL will have a decent idea (like me) of the players at the top end of the draft.. And the prospect of seeing Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Laurence Maroney, LenDale White, or someone of that profile would undoubtedly bring in the fans.

Well, it would certainly be enough to convince me to make the 45 minute trip to Wembley anyway! :-D

Wow, I've rambled quite a bit.. And not even mentioned the Vikings! They certainly fulfill one of my requirements that I have unilaterally set and have no bearing whatsoever on any real life events: the need for a new stadium. What better way to send a message to the State Legislature than selling out a brand-new 90,000 capacity facility?! I know that isn't the entire story, but it could easily be argued by the Vikings that if their (hypothetical of course) involvement brought in 90,000 fans in a foreign market, then surely they could do that at home?

I would love to see the Vikings at Wembley.. Maybe not as much as my beloved Luton Town (I apologise fellow Vikes fans, but my local football team will always be #1 in my heart), but enough that I would buy tickets for myself and any of my friends who would even consider going, just to convince them of the NFL's entertainment value.

...And I'm spent.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

"Benet" wrote:
    I've already got myself ready to move whenever the London game is announced, but one thing that the game is dependent on that has not been mentioned here is the new Wembley Stadium being completed sometime soon. It won't be finished til March at the earliest, and any further delays on completion will obviously have a massive impact on negotiations to host an NFL game.

That being said, it'll be a stadium any NFL franchise would be proud to call home. Not that I'm saying a team will move there permanently (the prospect of that is laughable), but the new Wembley is going to be one of the greatest all-purpose stadiums (ie football, American Football, track and field, concerts etc) in the world. 90,000 capacity plus the best facilities of any stadium in the country.. Sorry, I promise you I'm NOT being paid to say all this, but when I walked past it a month ago I couldn't help but feel a sense of national pride.. Even if the company building it is Australian!!

Bringing the Giants over here would be great justice in the Karma sense, but it would be tantamount to the NFL Top Brass (ie Paul Tagliabue) admitting they screwed-up with regards to the Giants @ Saints @ Giants game last year, so don't expect that to happen. I'd expect to see a team that rarely sells out at home, is not competitive in the NFL, or a franchise that wants a new stadium. The risk with sending an uncompetitive franchise is that it might not attract the audiences. A friend of mine and I were spit-balling about this last week when I first heard the story, and I mooted the idea of the Titans.. Now I'm going somewhere with this..

My point was; while the Titans are financially sound and sell out in Tennessee and are not competitive and don't need a new stadium (failing all the criteria I just specified) their prospective draft pick (Vince Young) could automatically bring in the fans. Could you imagine the PR coup if Vince Young made his debut in Wembley?! While there are not many NFL fans in Europe, we have to do our own research and be very educated in what is going because we're not going to find out what is going on in the sport on the BBC website or in The Sunday Times. This led me to believe that most European fans of the NFL will have a decent idea (like me) of the players at the top end of the draft.. And the prospect of seeing Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Laurence Maroney, LenDale White, or someone of that profile would undoubtedly bring in the fans.

Well, it would certainly be enough to convince me to make the 45 minute trip to Wembley anyway! -D

Wow, I've rambled quite a bit.. And not even mentioned the Vikings! They certainly fulfill one of my requirements that I have unilaterally set and have no bearing whatsoever on any real life events the need for a new stadium. What better way to send a message to the State Legislature than selling out a brand-new 90,000 capacity facility?! I know that isn't the entire story, but it could easily be argued by the Vikings that if their (hypothetical of course) involvement brought in 90,000 fans in a foreign market, then surely they could do that at home?

I would love to see the Vikings at Wembley.. Maybe not as much as my beloved Luton Town (I apologise fellow Vikes fans, but my local football team will always be #1 in my heart), but enough that I would buy tickets for myself and any of my friends who would even consider going, just to convince them of the NFL's entertainment value.

...And I'm spent.
    u have come in with some nice posts benet!

Go vikes!!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"Lotzapurple119" wrote:
    u have come in with some nice posts benet!
    Thanks man! I'm giving it my best shot :-P

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"RK." wrote:
    Personally I am not in favor of it.. To me it makes football more of an entertainment venue. Games should be played at one or the other teams home town IMO. I wasn't in favor of the Mexico game last year either.
    me neither, however when I was a kid growing up in Tokyo we had a game there and it was very exciting. I got to meet Chris Warren from the Seahawks.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123