Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game in the UK

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Game in the UK

The Giants should forfeit one of their regular season home games, and play at Wembley, seeing as they got an extra home game in 2005.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Give us a break, We have to do it with the Nfl europe....
    Soon maybe Nfl Germany
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:
    The Giants should forfeit one of their regular season home games, and play at Wembley, seeing as they got an extra home game in 2005.
    Skol, that is a GREAT Idea!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i guess if baseball can go to toyko, why cant the nfl go to europe for a game. they are just trying to take over the world anyways, might as well start now.
    "its and nfl world and we're living it" ad on nfl network
    We're bringing purple back.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The only problem I have with it is the loss of home field advantage for one of the teams. But maybe this could be another one of the ways to even the playing field. We could have the superbowl winner play its top ranked home opponent in Europe each year or something like that. That way, only the winner of the superbowl would lose the home game... For instance, Pittsburg could host Denver in Europe in 2006, or something like that. (I just throwing some thought out there, I am sure I will get flamed for it later on :grin

Of course, that means that the Vikings would lose a home game next year... :grin:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

i heard on pti that they will prolly be playing in london. dont know if wimbly stadium is in london or not tho
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    The only problem I have with it is the loss of home field advantage for one of the teams. But maybe this could be another one of the ways to even the playing field. We could have the superbowl winner play its top ranked home opponent in Europe each year or something like that. That way, only the winner of the superbowl would lose the home game... For instance, Pittsburg could host Denver in Europe in 2006, or something like that. (I just throwing some thought out there, I am sure I will get flamed for it later on grin)

Of course, that means that the Vikings would lose a home game next year... grin
    I guess I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I wouldn't want the Vikings to go there to play a game.. What would that do to season ticket holders? That other idea of sending the Giants over there because they had a extra home game this season is a great idea.. If the game was actually televised at a decnt time, then I guess it would be ok, but I don't see that happening..

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

I hadn't heard or read anything recently about the league attempting to play a regular season game overseas for some time. It has been a topic of discussion for nearly 30 years, but the farthest they have gone to providing American Football to an International Audience on a regular recurring basis was established with the Preseason American Bowl series.

Our Vikings can be proud in that they first participated in the leagues desire to promote football outside the Northern Hemisphere when they played at London's Wembley Stadium on Aug 6 1983. As was mentioned earlier, they defeated the St. Louis Cardinals 28-10 as part of an expanded 5 game preseason schedule. Ironically, the first ever NFL football game played outside the North America's was back on Aug. 16, 1976, in Tokyo, Japan. The St. Louis Cardinals defeated the San Diego Charges 20-10. As a former service man, I was fortunate enough to attend the first ever "American Bowl" game in Aug 1986 held at none other than London's Wembley Stadium and watched as the Chicago Bears beat the Dallas Cowboys 17-6. I can attest to this, for a preseason game it had a SUPER BOWL atmosphere and everyone in attendance (86,000) had the time of their lives. British fans in attendance participated heatedly when they were introduced to the "American Wave" which carried on throughout the course of the entire game, from start to finish. Not non-stop mind you, but it was close! Funny how that stood out in my mind the most! I got so hammered having such a great time that I remember very little of the game and it was after all, ONE BIG PARTY! That tradition carries on today for the most part in NFL Europe games! :wink:

The Vikings have a proud tradition of competing in league firsts when their next overseas game was played on Aug. 14, 1988, in Goteborg, Sweden. The Vikings defeated the Chicago Bears 28-21. I was stuck in Limestone, Maine at the time so I didn't get to see that in person, but good fortune has a way of finding me, as I was in attendance at the Vikings next overseas game, this one officially considered an "American Bowl" game on Aug 7, 1993 and got to watch the Vikings defeat the Buffalo Bills 20-6 in the infamous OlympiaStadion Berlin, now the home to the NFLE Berlin Thunder. Again, a rocking good time that can only be imagined as sharing those memories would be too vague and very, very, cloudy! LOL!

The last time the Vikings got to participate in an overseas game was again as a participant to an officially sanctioned "American Bowl" series in the summer of 1994 in Tokyo, Japan and they defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 17-9! Talk about cruel ironies. All four NFL International games that the Vikings have played in, they have been victorious. Completely unlike our Super Bowl history! Maybe the Vikings are better meant to representing an International market of fans, I don't know, but that has been fates only cruel irony out of all this!

I can only tell you, if and when the Vikings play another International game, whether it be preseason or who knows, maybe they will maintain their precedent and be one of the first teams to play a regular season game overseas, my suggestion to you is, "DON'T MISS IT"! It has truly been worth it!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"SKOL" wrote:
    Funny as that was my first thought when it was first talked about. Eli Manning can take the family 'choking' tradition on tour :lol:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mr.woo" wrote:
    i heard on pti that they will prolly be playing in london. dont know if wimbly stadium is in london or not tho
    yep Wembley Stadium is in North West London
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast